How long before Tesla will have to change?

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
Fairly agree that the Y may not be the most S3xy and popular model even at the risk of being a flop. The small TM2 (!!) could be a real and big commercial success here in Europe, even at more than 25,000 € compared to the exorbitant price of Clio, 208 and sisters with reduced autonomy .....

;)
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Fairly agree that the Y may not be the most S3xy and popular model even at the risk of being a flop. The small TM2 (!!) could be a real and big commercial success here in Europe, even at more than 25,000 € compared to the exorbitant price of Clio, 208 and sisters with reduced autonomy .....

;)
Here in America, the Y is outselling the 3 and generates a higher profit margin. Difficult to say it's a flop, imo.

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
Here in America, the Y is outselling the 3 and generates a higher profit margin. Difficult to say it's a flop, imo.
I did not know, like what the markets are very different.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Never, apparently. I bought my MME a month ago, and I've only seen 3 others on the road the whole month, while I see at least 3 TMY daily and I'm not even counting the TM3. It's a shame really. The MME is a better car in every aspect compared to the TM3 I had besides power. The big one is this - I'm easily beating the EPA estimate, averaging 3.7MPK over my 2000 mile ownership. As crazy as this sounds, my SR AWD MME gets me about the same range as my AWD LR TM3 did.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Never, apparently. I bought my MME a month ago, and I've only seen 3 others on the road the whole month, while I see at least 3 TMY daily and I'm not even counting the TM3. It's a shame really. The MME is a better car in every aspect compared to the TM3 I had besides power. The big one is this - I'm easily beating the EPA estimate, averaging 3.7MPK over my 2000 mile ownership. As crazy as this sounds, my SR AWD MME gets me about the same range as my AWD LR TM3 did.
Ford just started selling the Mach E and Tesla has been selling the M3 since 2018 and My since early 2020, so that proportion doesn't surprise me. It took Tesla 12 years to sell their millionth EV early last year, so I suspect it will take a while for the Mach E to catch up.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Musk's first EV was the roadster and it was priced at approx. $85K in 2021 dollars. The newest version will be $200k for starters. I think that's a mistake. Good for headlines, bad for business.

They claim that 'only' 1,000 founder's editions at $250,000 will be made.

Are they nuts?
It will not surprise me one bit if the Roadster gets cancelled. EM will tell you go buy a Plaid S if you want 0-60 in 1.99s, and save themselves a bunch of $$$ in not having to give out 80 free Roadsters from the referral program. My disdain for the brand really started back when they added the Model 3 to their referral program, which wasn't long after I bought my TM3. Everyone on Youtube was peddling sales and referrals. In case some of you here aren't aware, back when the referral program was active, 55 referrals gets you a cool free Roadster. Some Youtubers have "earned" TWO free Roadsters. Meanwhile, Tesla added an expiration date to the lousy 1000 miles of free supercharging I got for a single referral.

Ford just started selling the Mach E and Tesla has been selling the M3 since 2018 and My since early 2020, so that proportion doesn't surprise me. It took Tesla 12 years to sell their millionth EV early last year, so I suspect it will take a while for the Mach E to catch up.
I forgot to mention, many of those TMY I've been seeing are new cars with temp tags.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It will not surprise me one bit if the Roadster gets cancelled. EM will tell you go buy a Plaid S if you want 0-60 in 1.99s, and save themselves a bunch of $$$ in not having to give out 80 free Roadsters from the referral program. My disdain for the brand really started back when they added the Model 3 to their referral program, which wasn't long after I bought my TM3. Everyone on Youtube was peddling sales and referrals. In case some of you here aren't aware, back when the referral program was active, 55 referrals gets you a cool free Roadster. Some Youtubers have "earned" TWO free Roadsters. Meanwhile, Tesla added an expiration date to the lousy 1000 miles of free supercharging I got for a single referral.

I forgot to mention, many of those TMY I've been seeing are new cars with temp tags.
I’m gonna love seeing those YouTuberz when they get the $100,000 tax bill on their free roadster.

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems like an odd comparison for a car with a 60 kWh pack to be compared to one with 88 kWh?

My wife as a 2021 Model 3 Performance, I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range. I'm surprised how good the range is on her M3P. We take the same drive every month (sometimes twice) so I have a decent set of data in different weather conditions. My Y with the 19" wheels does the drive with 4.17 miles/kWh. My Y with aftermarket 20" wheels does it with 3.70 miles/kWh. The 3 Performance does it with 3.85 miles/kWh. I wasn't expecting it to be around 3.85. I was expecting it to be around 3.50 with the 20" Uberturbines. I have a set of 19" Tsportline TST that I'll get some numbers with once the colder weather approaches.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I remember Bjorn showing his Tesla.com account page while he was talking about his Model S Plaid order. When he showed his screen briefly it revealed two Roadsters, both from the referral program.

I have most Tesla YouTubers blocked since their content is mostly clickbait for the ad revenue and referrals. Most of the stuff that's shown is just re-hashed content from random news and rumors. It's pretty sad.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
Seems like an odd comparison for a car with a 60 kWh pack to be compared to one with 88 kWh?

My wife as a 2021 Model 3 Performance, I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range. I'm surprised how good the range is on her M3P. We take the same drive every month (sometimes twice) so I have a decent set of data in different weather conditions. My Y with the 19" wheels does the drive with 4.17 miles/kWh. My Y with aftermarket 20" wheels does it with 3.70 miles/kWh. The 3 Performance does it with 3.85 miles/kWh. I wasn't expecting it to be around 3.85. I was expecting it to be around 3.50 with the 20" Uberturbines. I have a set of 19" Tsportline TST that I'll get some numbers with once the colder weather approaches.
I have a new M3 LR and I'm tracking everything in TeslaMate, so far my average over ~500 miles is 4.4 miles/kWh, a lot of city but some highway and 1 mountain trip in there too. That average is all temperatures.

For just 60-70 degree temperatures the average is 4.76 miles/kWh

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a new M3 LR and I'm tracking everything in TeslaMate, so far my average over ~500 miles is 4.4 miles/kWh, a lot of city but some highway and 1 mountain trip in there too. That average is all temperatures.

For just 60-70 degree temperatures the average is 4.76 miles/kWh
I'm assuming you have the 18" with Aeros? The 20" wheels just kill the range (compared to the 18"). Not an issue for my wife and I since the Y is what we typically use for longer drives.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
I'm assuming you have the 18" with Aeros? The 20" wheels just kill the range (compared to the 18"). Not an issue for my wife and I since the Y is what we typically use for longer drives.
Yep, stock 18s

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
It amazes me that Tesla has sold… what? 150,000 MYs so far? Ford could really eat into that market if it could produce more MMEs. I wonder how much longer until production gets back on schedule.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
It amazes me that Tesla has sold… what? 150,000 MYs so far? Ford could really eat into that market if it could produce more MMEs. I wonder how much longer until production gets back on schedule.
Probably much more than that, and now Shanghai is starting to crank out Ys for Europe and China.

So far Tesla has producted 824,769 M3s and MYs from Q1 2020 when the Y came out. They don't split it out but Musk did say the Y is selling more in the US than the 3 now.

The real number could be something like 60% MYs over M3s, who knows, but even if we take 50% of that # that's still 412,000 MYs since Q1 2020.

With a really conservative 30% # that's about 250,000

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The standard range Mach-Es (which the SR AWD is) have the 68 kWh battery, it's the ER Mach-Es (i.e. the ER AWD, ER RWD, CA RT 1, GT, and GTPE) that have the 88 kWh batteries.
Sponsored