mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Well, the good thing about technology is that it's fixable without having to worry about the integrity of the car itself. As someone who works in tech, I can tell you that getting good test coverage for your software and getting enough live testers before launch is really, really difficult while you're under a crunch.

No one's tried to unify all the charging networks together under one authentication scheme and none of these charging networks have car-as-an-infrastructure (i.e. plug-and-charge) capabilities built-in, so they're building all of this from scratch as much as Ford is. With this many moving parts going on, things are sure to break.

My Chevy Bolt had a few software issues for the 3.5 years that I owned it, but from a software perspective, it was a pretty basic car with not much upgrade capabilities (no PaaK, no wireless Android Auto/CarPlay, no Co-Pilot 360 equivalent). With the new Bolt, I'm sure they'll have even more software issues coming up.

I'm just glad that most of the software that Ford is comfortable is working well. For example, the pre-collision assist is pretty spot on and the Co-Pilot 360 is pretty eerie (it's as close to self-driving as I've seen on the freeway, since the lane-keeping is pretty accurate). Not to mention all the electronics in the car seem to be mostly working well. I've had a few glitches where a modal, that should disappear after some time or by tapping outside of it, locked up the screen until I restarted the car.
Sponsored

rannebergerme

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Mustang Mach-E E4X
Country flag
if you're using safari, turn off all the pop up blocker, etc. stuff and the website works
@jksu Iā€™m having this same issue. I tried clearing cache, cookies, chrome, incognito, etc and still couldnā€™t get it to work. I enter the address and it just keeps me in a loop of asking me to update my primary address.

I do notice though that the ā€˜stateā€™ field is the only one thatā€™s not showing a green check mark each time I selected DC sI my guess is that it has something to do with that.

Called Ford support and theyā€™re escalating it to someone. Had me provide VIN and screenshots so maybe theyā€™ll actually provide a solution.

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'm new to EV and can't charge at home, but public chargepoint is only couple blocks away. I have same issue, get to (i believe) last step to activate and nothing. so I started an individual account with charge point and have been able to use public charger that way. I must be missing something though, because I'm not sure how plug and charge would possibly work since I can't remove plug from it's housing unless I swipe card first. What don't I understand?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I'm new to EV and can't charge at home, but public chargepoint is only couple blocks away. I have same issue, get to (i believe) last step to activate and nothing. so I started an individual account with charge point and have been able to use public charger that way. I must be missing something though, because I'm not sure how plug and charge would possibly work since I can't remove plug from it's housing unless I swipe card first. What don't I understand?
Plug and Charge only works with Electrify America.

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
OK, so for chargepoint public charging , must have your own individual acct and access card , I'll catch on eventually. I don't have any EA chargers in my area. Hopefully they'll work it out before I take a road trip one day.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
OK, so for chargepoint public charging , must have your own individual acct and access card , I'll catch on eventually. I don't have any EA chargers in my area. Hopefully they'll work it out before I take a road trip one day.
I think you can activate chargepoint stations from the screen in the car and charge it to your ford account, it just doesn't support plug and charge.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
If your phone supports it, you can have your phone be the access card (no need for a physical ChargePoint card sent to you).

I don't have visibility on Android, but in iOS you can add the "card" to your wallet from the ChargePoint app. From there it will show up when tapping at the station.

BFaulkner

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME, 2019 Audi A5, 2013 BMW 550i
Occupation
General Manager
Country flag
Plug and Charge only works with Electrify America.
I believe in addition to Electrify America, you should also be able to use Greenlots....both Electrify America and Greelots are showing up on my Plug & Charge screen. I haven't tried to charge at Greenlots though.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Where do I add a payment method to FordPass? I don't see it in the app. I don't have a vehicle added to FP yet - I am picking up my MME tomorrow but trying to set up a few things in advance. I already have a Ford.com account and have at least entered that into the FordPass app. Do I need to go to Ford.com to add a payment method? When I go to "wallet" under my account in Ford.com, it doesn't seem to be working.

UPDATE: The ford.com website wasn't working in my PC browser, but the mobile website worked to add the payment method to my wallet.

Last edited:

Blue PonyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Montana, 2016 Leaf, 2021 First Edition
Country flag
Still unable to activate FordPass Charging. The only thing that shows up in connected services is Connected Built-in Navigation with a trial expiration date of 02/23/24.

I tired deleting the FordPassout App and my Mach E, then reinstalling. Didn't help.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Still unable to activate FordPass Charging. The only thing that shows up in connected services is Connected Built-in Navigation with a trial expiration date of 02/23/24.

I tired deleting the FordPassout App and my Mach E, then reinstalling. Didn't help.
I just picked up my MME this afternoon and added FordPass Network charging, as well as my credit card, to connected services under My Account at ford.com. However, plug and play is not yet showing up as on option in FordPass. I figure I'll sleep on it and check FordPass again in the morning

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
I'm right there with you and I've been trying to fix it since I took delivery a month ago. I was on the phone with Ford for 2 hours again today and still nobody could figure it out. They started a new ticket.

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I just picked up my MME this afternoon and added FordPass Network charging, as well as my credit card, to connected services under My Account at ford.com. However, plug and play is not yet showing up as on option in FordPass. I figure I'll sleep on it and check FordPass again in the morning
update: this morning, plug and play showed up for me in FordPass, and I was able to turn it on. After some time, I got a message that it was successfully activated. Next step is to check it on a charger somewhere, whether P&P actually functions!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My plug and charge seems to be all set up on my phone, however, ...
Iā€™ve had the same problems with the spinning wheel and the ā€œno connected servicesā€ message. They seemed to have cleared up on their own with time.

In practice, I have used EA twice. It wasnā€™t exactly plug and charge. I had to use a credit card to get it started. So far, on my credit card there are only two $50 pending charges so. Iā€™m not sure yet if I will actually get charged the real amount or if they will disappear.

On another note, I learned that EA charges very fast up to 80% then slows down a lot. Didnā€™t know that.
The Mach E has a unique charging curve. On 350 kW EA chargers it has various phases:
1. jumps up to around 150-160kW for a few minutes,
2. then drops, settling in at around 115kW until 40%
3. Around 40% it drops off to around 105 kW for a while
4. Around 60% it tapers to around 80 kW until 80%
5. At 80% it drops off to around 15 kW
6. There's supposed to be a final taper at around 95% but I've never taken DCFC above ~80%.

You can see these at
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...rlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/page-14#post-126280
and description of a couple more at
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-129560

Good news for you @Tampamike is P&C and EA charging have been fairly reliable in FL. You do have to keep an eye on it, though. The issues have been:
1. P&C not working (almost always works fine when you start from the EA app using your own $)
2. Make sure it goes over 100kW at the start before walking away
3. Watch for phantom charging faults mid-charge

I have had two cases where stations had serious issues I couldn't resolve myself, including a station that worked fine before. Calling EA you will reach really helpful customer service folks who are glad to restart chargers and work with you until the charging runs fine.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Here's a step-by-step for charging from the FordPass app sent to me from Ford: