First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
Thanks -
Since you dived into CarScanner, maybe you know about (or get curious about :) ) the one thing I want to do: show efficiency over time, in miles / kwh.

Car scanner has the numbers. I don't know how much history it has, but I'd be happy with something like "over the last 20 minutes" "10 minutes" "5 minutes". Other cars have these efficiency barcharts.

I think that means two things:
1) How do you create an "x over y" tile
2) Are their entries for "kwh consumed over N minutes" and "miles travelled over N minutes"

thanks!
Sponsored

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
One of the first things I asked @Ford Motor Company for to enhance the dashboard/instrument information is real-time display of Power Output/Regen/Charging in kW, and Battery Energy remaining in kWhr.

No response of course.... so I went in search of the easiest and most cost effective way to display 'custom' information. Turns out that it is pretty easy, and not very expensive. All you need is:
- a free phone App
- a OBD-II reader
- (optional) phone holder to position phone somewhere near your line of sight

1. get the phone app to display scan data
from Android PlayStore or iOS, download/install 'Car Scanner ELM OBD2'
some addl documentation is available online at
https://www.carscanner.info/
There are other choices available now, but CarScanner does what I wanted. Basic App is free, but I paid $6 to upgrade to 'pro' version to support the developer.

2. buy an OBD2 adapter with full ELM protocol support
CarScanner developer recommends 'quality' ODB2 with full ELM protocol support
such as: Viecar Bluetooth 4
$25 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTKSCEJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?

3. first-time config of CarScanner
download app, install app
plug OBD2 into port, turn car 'on'
pair phone to OBD2 device
open CarScan app, select paired device, 'connect'
configure app
- create a 'vehicle', etc
- create a Dashboard to display desired sensors

4. Then, to use
plug OBD2 into Port, turn car 'on'
open CarScan app, 'connect', which can take 30 seconds...
Settings-> pick what you want to do
- Dashboard to show selected sensor datastreams
- display/export DTC for error codes recorded
- record Accelleration for accurate performance testing
etc, some of which are for ICE cars only

It is pretty simple to create your own dashboard to display whatever sensor data you want. This is a sample layout that I find useful:

dashboard_4 power-chg temps-lv DC curr-kwhr.jpg

and I found a very affordable phone holder from @AOSK that I modified a little to hold the phone where I wanted AND block the sun from cooking the back of my center display. https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...display-all-phone-apps-like-carscanner.20913/

12 displaying CarScanner dashboard.jpg

I find this combination very useful to display actual Output/Regen/Charging power, and actual battery capacity remaining as well as battery temp

[update 1/20/24 to add some step-by-step info on setup, and my current config file.cbz] --------------------------------------

- open CanScanner app on phone

- click 'settings' ,
- set up connection profile for Ford Mustang Mach-e
- 'backup' config file once you have it set up, or import .cbz
- ....back

- click lower-right 'demo' button to enable setting up y dashboard

- click 'dashboard' to display 1/16 possible layouts. each layout allows you to put whatever sensor you want in the box. I like layout 4/16. you can scroll thru possible layouts by touching upper left of screen, and << or >> to different layouts.

- dble-touch any gauge area to edit what data goes in the area.

...attaching my .cbz with .txt extension, you'll have to rename to remove the .txt if you want to import it to CarScanner

I have a similar setup, I have actually designated an old phone for this

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Here is my setup

20240131_170316.jpg

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Here is my setup

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: use OBD-II and CarScanner to see Power Output/Regen/Charging and other data 20240131_170316
sweet!
I am hoping that @Ford Motor Company notices that some of us REALLY want to see power in kW, and remaining capacity in kWhr.

your display of motor torque is cool, and I did that for a while, but I found it too distracting, and it made the other displays too small for me to read.

I would be really nice to be able to display on the big center screen, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
sweet!
I am hoping that @Ford Motor Company notices that some of us REALLY want to see power in kW, and remaining capacity in kWhr.

your display of motor torque is cool, and I did that for a while, but I found it too distracting, and it made the other displays too small for me to read.
I wanted to include motor torque just to see how the system balances torque between two motors in different driving situations. I've made them smaller then others with a modest color scheme so they don't attract attention too much.

I would be really nice to be able to display on the big center screen, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Actually I would prefer if Ford allows customizing at least some areas of the front screen. I believe the used/recuperated power monitor belongs there

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Do you use 1PD? And if so, does "brake light v4" shows when the brake light turns on?
I've put that monitor specifically for the purpose of finding out when/if the brake light turns on in the case of aggressive recuperation. But apparently that monitor shows the brake pedal push only. It doesn't even turn on during BC rides. So it is useless

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I wanted to include motor torque just to see how the system balances torque between two motors in different driving situations. I've made them smaller then others with a modest color scheme so they don't attract attention too much.

Actually I would prefer if Ford allows customizing at least some areas of the front screen. I believe the used/recuperated power monitor belongs there
totally agree that power output/regen belongs in front. maybe a bar along the bottom, as long as it has color bars and actual kW marked or displayed as well...

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Here is my setup

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: use OBD-II and CarScanner to see Power Output/Regen/Charging and other data 20240131_170316
Does your phone need an active sim card? I've got an earlier gen android I could use if it doesn't need a sim card.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Does your phone need an active sim card? I've got an earlier gen android I could use if it doesn't need a sim card.
after you install the CarScanner app it would not need a SIM.... it communicates w ODB2 via Bluetooth. So yeah you could leave an old phone mounted in the holder.

The other cool thing about your phone in the AOSK holder is that it sticks above the dash 'enough' where you can dbl-click to get to your camera and snap a quick picture or video ahead in lieu of a separate dashcam.

I use my 'live phone' because on road trips I sometimes want to dictate an email, or 'note to self', or pull up my Contact list on the phone since the voice activated one sometimes cannot find the contact I want. I'd rather have the phone in the holder than have it in my hand.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
You don't need a sim card at all. Car Scanner doesn't require internet connection.... at least if you purchase it.

fleeps

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, AWD, Extended Battery, Rapid Red
Country flag
I am using a vLinker Bluetooth OBD II Scan Tool with my 2023.5 Mach-E. I get zero for battery power and HV Voltage, although other sensors, such as HV Current, seem to be correct. Any idea what is wrong or ideas for how to fix?

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: use OBD-II and CarScanner to see Power Output/Regen/Charging and other data Screenshot_20240208_132214

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am using a vLinker Bluetooth OBD II Scan Tool with my 2023.5 Mach-E. I get zero for battery power and HV Voltage, although other sensors, such as HV Current, seem to be correct. Any idea what is wrong or ideas for how to fix?

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: use OBD-II and CarScanner to see Power Output/Regen/Charging and other data Screenshot_20240208_132214
Which vLinker adapter are you using? Vgate makes several vLinker versions. Are you using the correct profile in CarScanner?

https://www.vgatemall.com/products/

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
vLinker FS Bluetooth
Profile for Ford Mustang Mach-E/F-150 Lightning
Sorry, I'm not of any help. Not sure what HvbV and HV Battery power represent.

HvbV might be HVB Voltage module variation which would read around Zero. My values look similar to yours.

Ford Mustang Mach-E HowTo: use OBD-II and CarScanner to see Power Output/Regen/Charging and other data Screenshot_20240210-101900
Sponsored