Huge screen with zero Entertainment options !

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
And Tesla doesn't AA / Carplay, plus I believe you pay an access fee for Tesla to provide the limited entertainment it does, and you probably need a network plan.

Pick up the phone and use it. Take a nap. Go for a short walk. Write troll posts on the Mach E forum.
Or AM FM Sat radio if you paid $2500 for the upgrade on the older cars, but didn't pay 500 to unlock those features.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
A huge sync screen and all it does is play radio.... and access the drive modes, cameras, driver assist settings, charging, and EVERYTHING else about my $60K car. I’m quite happy that my car screen focuses on running my car.
If I wanted Netflix, I would have bought an iPad Pro for a LOT cheaper. And it would do it better.
Yes it does wonders but why not have it done more ?! IMO there is always a possibility to do better and watching video on the computer in 2021 shouldn't be rocket science. Btw, iPad or iPhone would still be an option for those who prefer to use them ;)

OP
OP

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am at a loss as to why anyone is sitting in their car for long enough to feel the need to have entertainment options on the car's screen. Maybe it is just me, but I can think of no situation why I would ever feel the need to use the screen in such a way.
Just drive by Tesla superchargers and you will see :).

OP
OP

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Before you go looking for entertainment, start a post on PlugShare including which plug you used, speed, bathroom access, etc. It’s more important than you think. Plus you can show off your ride with a sweet pic.
I did that too and still had lots of time to spare, haha

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Just drive by Tesla superchargers and you will see :).
Hmmm, I suppose I just figure I have my phone that can be used for entertainment in a pinch. I used an EA DC Fast Charger for the first time last weekend. I spent just under 30 minutes plugged in. I ate my lunch and then had a few minutes to spare, so I went and used the rest room and maybe checked email and by then was ready to be on my way. I guess I don't understand why the center display would need to be used when most people have smartphones or other devices that can be used these days that surely are much more capable than the center display. I guess because I do nearly all my charging at home and my destinations, that I don't really end up seeing the entertainment need while public charging. If others see a need for it, I guess it couldn't hurt for Ford to consider (unless it means prioritizing that feature development over things that I think really need to be fixed ?).

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If others see a need for it, I guess it couldn't hurt for Ford to consider (unless it means prioritizing that feature development over things that I think really need to be fixed ?).
this is the key point here IMHO

Something like more information about charge and discharge data on the center screen, or even fixing known issues like the various Profile issues, are more important to me than poorly replicating something I can do on my phone or a tablet already. Sure, if there was nothing else to do on the system, great - add in YouTube or whatever - but I don't want a Netflix app to take precedence over some other things. Every single person on this forum is impacted by the Profile issue for example - so that should be more important than poorly replicating something from my phone.

Tesla has an "open butthole charger" command - do you want Ford to do that? No, of course you don't, because it's childish, moronic, and doesn't even make sense (do you take energy in through your ass? no, didn't think so - although @trutolife27 has said that's how he ingests buttermilk, but that's a special case). They could do stupid crap like "fart mode" at some point but if it takes precedence over real work? F that.

There's only so much development time available. Remember every single time you hear about "fart mode" or YouTube, that was done instead of fixing known bugs. Do you really want that here? If you answer yes, after the first OTA that adds games or YouTube or whatever, you've lost your right to complain about bugs that haven't been fixed yet, because you got what was being screamed about in thread after thread after thread.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Or AM FM Sat radio if you paid $2500 for the upgrade on the older cars, but didn't pay 500 to unlock those features.
Yep, only applied to older S and X with MCU1 guts. The fact you could even get it upgraded OEM is amazing, no one else does that (I don't think, I KNOW this forum will nail me if I'm wrong ;)).

The price, not so much.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
do you take energy in through your ass? no, didn't think so - although @trutolife27 has said that's how he ingests buttermilk, but that's a special case
?

So thankful that nearly none of the forum members will successfully find that one in search results. Some memories are best left in one's "rear view" mirror.

Anyway....... Papa John's for dinner? ? ?

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
some of the long lines at some of the super chargers are getting really bad. Elon knew it will be needed.
That tends to happen more in California.

As for me, I have only had to wait a few times for a supercharger on the many roadtrips I've taken, even during holidays.

Wait until Ford starts selling the Electric F-150 and more Mach-Es, VW sells a bunch of ID4s, etc. The lines will start happening at EA chargers. I'm hoping they continue to scale up on pace or faster than Tesla (we have a pretty large lead so far).

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I guess I don't understand why the center display would need to be used when most people have smartphones or other devices that can be used these days that surely are much more capable than the center display.
Do your spouse, friends, family accompany you on road trips? Maybe share an experience rather than each dive into your own screen. I have always suggested being able to cast the phone rather than have Ford reinvent wheel would be best. [Tesla’s effort to bring YouTube & Netflix to the center screen is widely acknowledged as being a constant source of disappointment and frustration.]. Give us a version of Apple’s Airport.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do your spouse, friends, family accompany you on road trips? Maybe share an experience rather than each dive into your own screen. I have always suggested being able to cast the phone rather than have Ford reinvent wheel would be best. [Tesla’s effort to bring YouTube & Netflix to the center screen is widely acknowledged as being a constant source of disappointment and frustration.]. Give us a version of Apple’s Airport.
I must be part of the narrowly not-acknowledged group of Tesla owners that love watching YouTube while roadtripping.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That tends to happen more in California.

As for me, I have only had to wait a few times for a supercharger on the many roadtrips I've taken, even during holidays.

Wait until Ford starts selling the Electric F-150 and more Mach-Es, VW sells a bunch of ID4s, etc. The lines will start happening at EA chargers. I'm hoping they continue to scale up on pace or faster than Tesla (we have a pretty large lead so far).
Definitely the lines will happen at EA too. I've only been looking carefully at east coast stations, but it seems the vast majority are 4 charger stations with a pair of 150's and a pair of 350's. A few in metropolitan areas have 6 or 8, but not many. Those will fill up fast at peak travel times.

What concerns me about the government pushes for adding chargers is that they don't specify what kinds (DCFC or L2) nor what power levels, and they clearly have no strategy for where to put them.

OP
OP

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Hmmm, I suppose I just figure I have my phone that can be used for entertainment in a pinch. I used an EA DC Fast Charger for the first time last weekend. I spent just under 30 minutes plugged in. I ate my lunch and then had a few minutes to spare, so I went and used the rest room and maybe checked email and by then was ready to be on my way. I guess I don't understand why the center display would need to be used when most people have smartphones or other devices that can be used these days that surely are much more capable than the center display. I guess because I do nearly all my charging at home and my destinations, that I don't really end up seeing the entertainment need while public charging. If others see a need for it, I guess it couldn't hurt for Ford to consider (unless it means prioritizing that feature development over things that I think really need to be fixed ?).
Agreed. I don't think anyone wants to watch Netflix on their screen while the car has other serious issues. It is more of an extra and I can tell you that those extra seemingly useless features sell Teslas pretty well. Cars nowadays are more than just cars whether we like it or not.
This is like saying NO to games on smart phones 20 years ago because voice call quality is waaayyy more important than some stupid games that you could just use your Nintendo for......
As phone companies have proven...... you can do both and way more !
It will always be a question of personal opinions but more choice is never bad.
BTW, I probably got the idea about entertainment because my charging experience was pretty long. I pulled into 2 charger station at the same time as another person. He took one and I took the other one with my Mach E. Then guess what..... my station is dead so now I had to wait for him to charge for like 40 min then plug myself in for another 40 min. So with almost 2 hrs I thought Netflix on a bigger screen would be a great idea lol.
Once we have charging stations everywhere and speed is better we won't need any of that but it is not here yet :)
Btw, the charging station was right next to Shell gas station so I had to watch cars gasing up at 8 pumps for 2 hrs. Can you blame me for trying to think of entertainment options??

OP
OP

ArtyMachy

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 Select AWD
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Definitely the lines will happen at EA too. I've only been looking carefully at east coast stations, but it seems the vast majority are 4 charger stations with a pair of 150's and a pair of 350's. A few in metropolitan areas have 6 or 8, but not many. Those will fill up fast at peak travel times.

What concerns me about the government pushes for adding chargers is that they don't specify what kinds (DCFC or L2) nor what power levels, and they clearly have no strategy for where to put them.
Yes, but think about what happened to gas stations. They knew where to open new ones because they studied the market and followed the money. I think same will happen with charging stations as people buy more EVs.
In one of the videos Bjorn was saying that in Norway they start to close some gas station location to open charging stations. Supply - demand.
Sponsored