Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I kinda wanted the actual adapter made by Tesla. I could easily see Tesla deciding to ban 3rd party adapters.
Maybe but it is just metal and plastic (?) - no smarts involved - so how could they prevent others from using theirs?
Sponsored

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Maybe but it is just metal and plastic (?) - no smarts involved - so how could they prevent others from using theirs?
It’s funny. Some smart asses on the Rivian forum are actively yelling at people for suggesting to use the Ford adapter on a Rivian! I’m like: it’s neither a Ford, nor a Rivian. But to each their own.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
They could revoke access to all but Tesla cars, as it was in the beginning. That's what I fear is next.

Norcolboulder

First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
Principal Architect
Country flag
Like many- I placed my order and the ford support site shows my order status
( I am hopeful that that the adapter will be shipping in July)
It is a free product and kudos to Ford for supporting previous owners :)

IMO many other charge networks exist - and if you must remote charge within the Tesla network - other Tesla adapters exist.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
They could revoke access to all but Tesla cars, as it was in the beginning. That's what I fear is next.
That would be a very Elon thing to do. Depending on the language that is in the contracts that Tesla has with the other manufacturers, he might actually be able to do this (or he might not be). 😕🐩

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
That would be a very Elon thing to do. Depending on the language that is in the contracts that Tesla has with the other manufacturers, he might actually be able to do this (or he might not be). 😕🐩
He's able to do this, the question is if he's contractually permitted to, and if not, how long will the processing of the lawsuits last.

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
Been there tried that. It’s a “Special Promotion” or project. Or something. And believe me, they cannot give you any information
Sorry I’ve not had a real good customer service from Ford I was hoping that helped. This is my first Ford ever and their support is pretty bad

Xanasazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT PERFM
I know this is crazy talk but for about $200 you can just order one from a third party and skip the wait and frustration.
this is the answer tbh. My ford adapter won't be here before september and there is no way I'm waiting that long without an option.

OP
OP

MarkM307

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Occupation
Special Guest Star
Country flag
Sure but nothing to do with adapter.
Actually, just like every modern cable, there are processors inside, who do report who they are.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Actually, just like every modern cable, there are processors inside, who do report who they are.
That will be done with a handshake with the car - nothing to do with the adapter. Basically, at least from what I understand, Tesla will have software which will recognize your vehicle. Plug in - recognition - approve payment - charge. I guess plug and charge will work in some cases if enabled.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
He tends to just do things, contracts be damned, then throw money at lawyers to avoid the consequences of his actions. While Rebecca Tinucci negotiated the agreement with Ford and others, it’s been pretty much embraced by the Oracle of Pretoria. I don’t think he’d back out on this. I’ve been known to be wrong though.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
No. The adapters have no active components. Just plastic and copper.

pikepilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GT
I used the order lookup by VIN since I was having the same issues such as the link never appearing (went to connected services). I called and they were little help, only saying it was automatically ordered and no email or tracking would be available (didn't sound right), but assured me I would get it. So I use the link from this site to look it up by VIN. Low and behold an order number appears! I call again to make sure they have my right address and email address attached ( I had moved and hadn't updated address til recently). They won't give out the address, instead ask me to confirm....tell them the only two addresses it could possibly be (old and new), neither one, they ask me the name on the order....give them my one and only name, doesn't match. Open up another case as someone has fraudulently ordered under my VIN.
Over a month goes by for my reply "within a few business days". Send another email with case number. The response was mind blowing...even though I provided documentation that I'm the owner of the vehicle they stated only ONE adapter per VIN, somebody else ordered one with your VIN, too bad so sad you get to buy one in a few months. I'm not sure if it is a random person or the previous owner who had not owned the vehicle for at least the previous two months (before the adapter order date), nonetheless Ford says you're out of luck.

Why in God's name would I ever buy any product from a company again that is knowingly letting someone steal their product from me? It is not like this guy already has the item, it doesn't ship til August per the order, yet they still won't cancel it and send it to me, the documented and rightful owner? In the short time I've owned this it's been in the shop twice (towed in once) and I could understand that stuff happens. I can't understand a company not only knowingly letting one of their customers get stolen from, but actively participated in said theft.

Bottom line is if you can't order your adapter, there may be a rather nefarious reason for it, don't expect any help from Ford. This post deserves it's own thread.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No one knows what Musk is capable of. I think he gets too high once in a while and posts too much 🤷‍♂️ Too much money; not like he was the founder. At twice the cost I am not too concerned about the adapter but for free I will grab one it may get used. Tentatively mine says soon; July. Seen others roll back and our web sites are slow up here ;)

He tends to just do things, contracts be damned, then throw money at lawyers to avoid the consequences of his actions. While Rebecca Tinucci negotiated the agreement with Ford and others, it’s been pretty much embraced by the Oracle of Pretoria. I don’t think he’d back out on this. I’ve been known to be wrong though.
Slash hardware costs and make it back on SC's? The BP of EV's (rocket man).
Sponsored