machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I (finally) got my MME yesterday. There is a very slight screen noise on mine (first thing I checked) but it is not very noticeable (and believe me - I'd notice it)! As soon as there is any other ambient noise (ie, I'm not sitting there with everything off and listening intently) it is pretty much inaudible.

What's a bit different for me is that mine has what seems to be a 'sweet spot' that is at about half brightness where the whine is pretty much gone. It seems to be a bit more when dimmed completely or turned up to full brightness.

But, again, the whine is so faint that as soon as you get any other noise (ie, turn car on and move) it is imperceptible.

That leads me to believe that there are (what seem to be significant) variances between displays.

I sympathize with those who have a pronounced screen whine and think that it should be something Ford addresses on a case-by-case basis (ie, don't recall/replace all screens but don't kick to the curb those who are very bothered by it).
Congrats fellow NJ guy, give me a buzz when you get a chance?

Kidding around folks we don't actually know each other. :)

Long live the BUZZ thread, it's kinda like Big Foot or UFO's, they do exist but only some can see them. I am not one of those folks, I even tried my last two car rides and nope, still don't hear it. Again I can if in dead silence, so maybe there are varying degrees here. However I can say for sure all of them have it due to the design and components used. Again Ford knows this and most can't hear it.
Sponsored

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ARK

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Thanks machefan! I've followed your posts - I also bought from Fullerton Ford (Sommerville, NJ) and they were great. Heartily recommend them for anyone in NJ. They have a bunch of available Standard Range MMEs in stock.

T_to the_A

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang V6 Red Candy Metallic, 2021 Mach-e Premuim AWD St Range Shadow Black
Occupation
I sell wine
Country flag
3 weeks in possession, my MASSIVE issues with instrument cluster display problems are well cataloged here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...is-standard-pdi-pre-delivery-inspection.5619/

so—after digging thru all 14 pages so far, I am here to report that my replacement IC display also buzzes. Add me to the list.
NOW LET ME BE CLEAR!
I certainly noticed it before I forked over my hard earned ca$h and it is (for me) very unobtrusive and hardly noticeable. I do not tend to sit in my car with nothing else on so it’s simply not an issue for me. Perhaps mine is less noticeable when the car is “on” but this is the first time I tried the lights off, hazards on test and here it is.

Good luck to you Mirak, I enjoy your posts and banter. For all those who post snarky crap, I say ignore them, know that there a many who appreciate your perseverance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
3 weeks in possession, my MASSIVE issues with instrument cluster display problems are well cataloged here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...is-standard-pdi-pre-delivery-inspection.5619/

so—after digging thru all 14 pages so far, I am here to report that my replacement IC display also buzzes. Add me to the list.
NOW LET ME BE CLEAR!
I certainly noticed it before I forked over my hard earned ca$h and it is (for me) very unobtrusive and hardly noticeable. I do not tend to sit in my car with nothing else on so it’s simply not an issue for me. Perhaps mine is less noticeable when the car is “on” but this is the first time I tried the lights off, hazards on test and here it is.

Good luck to you Marik, I enjoy your posts and banter. For all those who post snarky crap, I say ignore them, know that there a many who appreciate your perseverance.

Thanks. Buzz sounds similar to mine when listening at comparable volume on my phone.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Absolutely, and it’s not even a new thing. Ford did it with the Lincoln MKZ.
My 2016 Ford CMax Energi had cabin noise cancelling. Seemed to diminish wind noise and road noise at speed.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Buzz on mine too but doesn’t bother me

IB_NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext. Range
Country flag
Anyone have any luck getting the IPC buzz noise fixed? The more I think about it the more annoying it gets..

Wondering if any dealer has fixed it for anyone yet? And if so, what exactly did they do?

Want to avoid having the car teared apart if I bring it in and have them guessing what a fix might be.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Anyone have any luck getting the IPC buzz noise fixed? The more I think about it the more annoying it gets..

Wondering if any dealer has fixed it for anyone yet? And if so, what exactly did they do?

Want to avoid having the car teared apart if I bring it in and have them guessing what a fix might be.

Thanks!
Ford is aware of the issue - hence the “screw you SSM” - so it will eventually source a screen that doesn’t buzz. But I’m not sure whether they’ve done that yet for newer builds. And even if they have, Ford hasn’t agreed to warranty replacements.

I’m curious if there are any possible workarounds for the time being. Any sort of sound deadening transparent material that could be placed on top?

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Not sure cell phone videos are the best way to "prove" your point. You need a sound meter that measure both dB and HZ. I am sure there are several MME's in your area that folks would let you measure. There are certain frequency's that most/some people can not hear. Also need to take into account any ambient noise. If you are one of the folks outside or way outside the "norm" it can really suck at times. If ford says it is in spec they must have decided that some % of people can not hear it or bothered by it, and the # of folks that can hear it/bothered by it is acceptable. whether 50% or 99% can not hear it/bothered by it, if you are one of those that can hear it, VERY annoying. The only way ford will change it is if it is outside of their spec or they change their spec. The only way to PROVE it is outside of spec is to have an accurate reading and compare that to spec.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure cell phone videos are the best way to "prove" your point. You need a sound meter that measure both dB and HZ. I am sure there are several MME's in your area that folks would let you measure. There are certain frequency's that most/some people can not hear. Also need to take into account any ambient noise. If you are one of the folks outside or way outside the "norm" it can really suck at times. If ford says it is in spec they must have decided that some % of people can not hear it or bothered by it, and the # of folks that can hear it/bothered by it is acceptable. whether 50% or 99% can not hear it/bothered by it, if you are one of those that can hear it, VERY annoying. The only way ford will change it is if it is outside of their spec or they change their spec. The only way to PROVE it is outside of spec is to have an accurate reading and compare that to spec.
The vast majority of people don’t have that equipment and aren’t going to bother getting it. This is not scientific, and it doesn’t need to be. Right now, I’m just looking for anyone to post a video of a screen that doesn’t buzz. They supposedly exist, but I haven’t seen a video yet.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Tough to prove a negative but I can say no buzz issue on mine in normal use, just spent 2.5 hours with it. But then I did not lower a stethoscope to it either....

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tough to prove a negative but I can say no buzz issue on mine in normal use, just spent 2.5 hours with it. But then I did not lower a stethoscope to it either....
Instead if a stethoscope, try to taking a video with your phone using the format in the first post. Thanks!

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Srsly tho, I chose my snarky thread title both in jest and to get people’s attention. It worked. But I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings because I think this forum works best when people work together. People shouldn’t troll or bully other posters for any reason, whether because they disagree that an issue exists or that it is important or any other reason at all. I also think that my brand of sarcastic humor is sometimes lost in a message board format. So to those who were offended, I apologize.

Now back to it, as several of us have mentioned a few times, if you don’t think your screen buzzes, it would be extremely helpful to see a video of that. I’m trying to gather evidence that the buzz is really not a Normal Operating Condition, but 13 pages later I’m striking out.
Now that's a request I can say yes to. I'll get one posted, but it'll be a bit. I'm in the middle of a tow hitch installation.

And BTW, I have a great sense of humor! My kids always tell me what a joke I am!
Sponsored