chriscthornton

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Iā€™ve been enjoying the convenience and speed of using the DC Fast chargers to charge the Mach-E. Lately, itā€™s been a close call finding an available spot to charge, so I decided to explore getting a 240v outlet (using the charger given with the car) installed or hardwiring an emporia charger into the main panel outside. I went the 240v outlet route in case we move to another home.

I received two quotes for the hardwire installation from two different companies: $400 and $600.

Part list:

ā€¢ (1) 4x4 post
ā€¢ (2) wooden screws
ā€¢ Remaining parts are included in the attached photos (some parts were not needed).

Iā€™m also attaching a screenshot showing the differences in EV charging costs between charging at home (0.14 cents/kWh) and my usual DC Fast charger at a different location (0.38 cents/kWh).

Color code for charts:

ā€¢ Blue represents examples of what the price could be.
ā€¢ Green indicates what was actually used for that location.

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_7753.jpeg

IMG_7754.jpeg

IMG_7755.jpeg

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
That install would not pass inspection. No GFCI breaker and NM cannot be installed outdoors, even in conduit. I presume itā€™s outdoors since you mention a 4X4 post.

But Iā€™ve seen much worse!

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did the same thing. The one caveat that I kept seeing on YouTube was to get the stranded wire securely tightened down, arcing being the main cause of failure and fires. Some Pro Electricians recommended a torque screw driver to ensure you had the correct tightness. I decided that adding ferrules was a better way to go. You could see in the videos that the pros tightened the nut holding down the stranded wire, wiggled the wire and then tightened it it again. The ferrules allow a more secure contact in my opinion. Some of the pros agreed. Perhaps a "real" electrician can chime in.
https://www.amazon.com/Self-adjusta...id=1699894325&sprefix=ferrules,aps,135&sr=8-2

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That install would not pass inspection. No GFCI breaker and NM cannot be installed outdoors, even in conduit. I presume itā€™s outdoors since you mention a 4X4 post.

Regarding the need for a GFI and his Emporia charger.
"The National Electrical CodeĀ® (NECĀ®) now requires a GFCI breaker on the circuit if you are using a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet. Since the Emporia EVSE already has a GFCI, and since two GFCI with different sensitivities on the same circuit can result in unwanted tripping, you'll want to hardwire our Emporia EV Charger on a dedicated breaker, which allows it to be installed on a breaker without GFCI protections. "

OP
OP
chriscthornton

chriscthornton

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Regarding the need for a GFI and his Emporia charger.
"The National Electrical CodeĀ® (NECĀ®) now requires a GFCI breaker on the circuit if you are using a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet. Since the Emporia EVSE already has a GFCI, and since two GFCI with different sensitivities on the same circuit can result in unwanted tripping, you'll want to hardwire our Emporia EV Charger on a dedicated breaker, which allows it to be installed on a breaker without GFCI protections. "
Thatā€™s good to know. Iā€™m using the charger that came with the car since I went the outlet route.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This is from the Ford Connected Charge Station installation manual:

Ford Mustang Mach-E I Installed a 240v outlet myself šŸ¤© AMA Screenshot 2023-11-13 124012
Of course the Ford Connected Charge Station is hardwired...

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I also used dielectric grease on the wire contacts and double checked the screw down contact torque the next day. The grease will help with potential corrosion and I did notice one connector was looser the next day.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Liquitight is a brand belonging to Southwire. Itā€™s a non-metallic water-proof conduit meant for outdoor installation. Depending on the locality, it may or may not pass inspection. šŸ¤”šŸ©

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
When I did mine I used 4g wires because ā€œif 6gā€ was good then 4 must be better, right? Let me tell you. 4g was so hard to work with. Must of added hours to my install.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Iā€™ve been enjoying the convenience and speed of using the DC Fast chargers to charge the Mach-E. Lately, itā€™s been a close call finding an available spot to charge, so I decided to explore getting a 240v outlet (using the charger given with the car) installed or hardwiring an emporia charger into the main panel outside. I went the 240v outlet route in case we move to another home.

I received two quotes for the hardwire installation from two different companies: $400 and $600.

Part list:

ā€¢ (1) 4x4 post
ā€¢ (2) wooden screws
ā€¢ Remaining parts are included in the attached photos (some parts were not needed).

Iā€™m also attaching a screenshot showing the differences in EV charging costs between charging at home (0.14 cents/kWh) and my usual DC Fast charger at a different location (0.38 cents/kWh).

Color code for charts:

ā€¢ Blue represents examples of what the price could be.
ā€¢ Green indicates what was actually used for that location.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I Installed a 240v outlet myself šŸ¤© AMA Screenshot 2023-11-13 124012

I think you should use 6/3 UF-B, not NM-B. Make sure the exposed wire is in conduit.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Liquitight is a brand belonging to Southwire. Itā€™s a non-metallic water-proof conduit meant for outdoor installation. Depending on the locality, it may or may not pass inspection. šŸ¤”šŸ©
Not unless the local jurisdiction has taken that part out of the NEC. If conduit is installed in a wet location, the inside of the conduit is also considered a wet location.

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
When I did mine I used 4g wires because ā€œif 6gā€ was good then 4 must be better, right? Let me tell you. 4g was so hard to work with. Must of added hours to my install.
I generally like to over-engineer everything, but 6ga was such a bitch to pull I can't imagine working with 4ga wire. It's not like you are ever going to draw the number of amps that 4ga can handle. I had to pull my wire through a brick wall, down into a 40ft long trench, back through another brick wall, then route it to the other side of the garage where we park the Mach-E. The total length of the run was about 80ft with six 90 degree elbows. Let me tell you, I would gladly pay someone to do this for me if I had to do it again. The only way I was able to pull the wire through all the conduit and elbows was with it separated. I glued all the PVC joints at the end. My neighbor only had to run his wire about six feet from his box. I could have finished his job in under an hour, including the drywall work. I spent a few weekends on mine.
Sponsored