Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Mach E is on order scheduled to be built the first week of May. But all of a sudden I have this little knot in my stomach about depreciation and future value. We’re all pay some decent $$$$$ for the car but what when it has 50-60k on it and we want to upgrade? Sure the battery pack still has 20-25k on the warranty but performance is going downhill and there the regular wear & tear on the interior, etc. what will we get for it, trade or sale? The battery pack isn’t easily (if) replaceable. When it goes, the car goes in the crusher? Help!
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Battery pack is replaceable in modules. Ford has stated that the battery pack is servicable (in fact dealers have to have a special lift for the car to be EV certified for it).

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
I don't know what the value will be but the battery pack will probably be basically fine in 10+ years.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
nobody knows what the car will be worth in 3 or 4 years.

there's a bunch of threads about this kind of thing but basically Ford Options (search for it - there's a quadrillion threads; basically a balloon payment loan) gives you a guaranteed residual value (like a lease) that you'll know when you get into it.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
My Mach E is on order scheduled to be built the first week of May. But all of a sudden I have this little knot in my stomach about depreciation and future value. We’re all pay some decent $$$$$ for the car but what when it has 50-60k on it and we want to upgrade? Sure the battery pack still has 20-25k on the warranty but performance is going downhill and there the regular wear & tear on the interior, etc. what will we get for it, trade or sale? The battery pack isn’t easily (if) replaceable. When it goes, the car goes in the crusher? Help!
Many of us here have the same concern. Mine is a little different. I am planning to keep the car for 10+ years. But what it has too many issues (problems). That's why I plan to finance it with Ford Options. That way I can decide to return it after 4 years.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Buyer's remorse. It's quite normal. Really.

1. There are no guarantees about the future value of anything. Never. The car is going to have some residual value for quite some time. You're not buying a $60K bag of potato chips.

2. Performance. This is not an ICE car (duh I know). Performance will be quite high for a long time to come. Long after 2021 ICE vehicles have new rings and a valve job.

3. Batteries. Practice proper battery management (it's really easy to do) and you'll be fine for a decade or more in all likelihood. And if there is an issue, the batteries can be replaced fairly readily. You're not buying a big six-pack of Pepsi cans to be.

Relax, enjoy the anticipation. :)

OP
OP
Jim Glass

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Buyer's remorse. It's quite normal. Really.

1. There are no guarantees about the future value of anything. Never. The car is going to have some residual value for quite some time. You're not buying a $60K bag of potato chips.

2. Performance. This is not an ICE car (duh I know). Performance will be quite high for a long time to come. Long after 2021 ICE vehicles have new rings and a valve job.

3. Batteries. Practice proper battery management (it's really easy to do) and you'll be fine for a decade or more in all likelihood. And if there is an issue, the batteries can be replaced fairly readily. You're not buying a big six-pack of Pepsi cans to be.

Relax, enjoy the anticipation. :)
Today I read that Elon killed off battery replacement as did(I think) Nissan? That’s what fuels may concern this my first EV but the 43rd car I’ve bought. I’ve leased and planned on just paying for this outright. On the scale of things it really doesn’t matter a whole lot. You know there’s always that bus coming down the road?.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Ford Options, baby! I did 36 months to avoid this very issue. I'm looking forward to a stress free 3 years of fun and then something new!

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
If it would make you feel better, you could do a total cost of ownership comparison between two new vehicles.

Make various assumptions about use, maintenance costs, costs of fuel, length of ownership, etc. Recognize that costs of fuel won't stay constant, and will likely increase.

For my particular parameter estimates, I found that the cost of the ICE versions would be higher than the cost of the Mustang within about 3 to 5 years. This includes an estimate for resale value (typically lower retained value for EVs right now)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Zero performance loss after 50-60k.
In that time, your car will have saved you so much money that your worries will seem silly when you look back.
The demand for EVs is expected to outpace supply for at least the next 10 years. You will be fine. Buy the car and enjoy it. That is what I am doing.

20220301_175609.jpg

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Zero performance loss after 50-60k.
In that time, your car will have saved you so much money that your worries will seem silly when you look back.
The demand for EVs is expected to outpace supply for at least the next 10 years. You will be fine. Buy the car and enjoy it. That is what I am doing.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I need a little help. 20220301_175609
That car would’ve been built May of 2021…….. that ship has sailed.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That car would’ve been built May of 2021…….. that ship has sailed.
Oops. I guess they are having so much fun with it that they don't have time to come back here with any issues. :)

Heck, I barely check in here anymore since the only issue of concern is when the next update is coming and what changed. If that is the hottest topic on the forum then the actual car must be pretty darn good.
Sponsored