I need help deciding which Mustang Mach e version to get!

randomvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
GT is the most bang for the buck in my opinion. People here are way overhyping Magneride as if it fixes everything with the suspension while in reality, the GTPE felt only a tad bit better when I drove that vs the Premium in terms of ride quality. And before someone starts DMing, yeah I test drove in all the modes and I also have rough roads around me. While it does make a difference, in my opinion, it isn't gonna completely solve the stiff and somewhat bouncy ride feeling. All of these ride like a sport SUV would especially how a Mustang SUV would in my opinion GTPE or not.

I however felt the power in Premium was a bit lacking so I think the GT hits that perfect zone if you feel saving 6K there is worth it. If money is no object, go for GTPE. I never felt that the GTs I drove was nerfed. At least in day to day driving, you never need more power. Even at 65 mph on a highway, when I pressed the accelerator, it had enough power to push me back in my seat and pass most other cars. Unless you're hitting the track, these cars are more than enough to smoke most other ICE cars on the road.
Sponsored

SirLamerok

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT PE Cyber Orange
Country flag
First off you will love whichever version you choose. I personally loved the appearance on the GTPE over all the others. The wheels were my favorite and the front end just really stands out to me. The magnaride was the chefs kiss in my decision making. The premium is a better value as others have pointed out. Range is better and no limits to power in the premium. I never have run into an issue with the five second limit in the GTPE but I don't go full open throttle all that much. You will be very happy with either model.

DonnieJ

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Occupation
U.S. Soldier
Country flag
For a while now, I've been deciding on a new car. Initially, I wanted a tesla but as time passed I started to see just how good the Mach e is. Now I need to decide which version I should get. A little background; I live in Michigan and I'm looking for an everyday fast car (all-wheel drive) that I can use for every/most types of weather (snow, sleet rain, etc.). Also, let's say that money is not an issue, and I'm able to get any mach-e version. Currently, I'm looking at getting the premium extended range, the GT, and the GT performance (all of these in eAWD). However if you would recommend a different version of the mach e other than these ones please let me know! From my own research, I found that the GT and GTPE share many similarities with the premium however it seems like you lose things in both gt/gtpe. One of them being range. Also, not sure if this is true but I've also heard that it takes longer to charge a gt/gtpe. Let me know if there are other things that are lost/gained from premium to gt/gtpe and vice versa. Lastly, speed is a cool feature but isn't something I really need/care about per say. Hence why I'm also considering the premium. So my question is, which version do you guys recommend I get?

Thanks for reading and the help!
Well if the money is no issue just go with the GTPE ... he'll money is an issue for me and I'm still getting that package LMAO,Just a joke for all readers who take everything said literally lol

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
For a while now, I've been deciding on a new car. Initially, I wanted a tesla but as time passed I started to see just how good the Mach e is. Now I need to decide which version I should get. A little background; I live in Michigan and I'm looking for an everyday fast car (all-wheel drive) that I can use for every/most types of weather (snow, sleet rain, etc.). Also, let's say that money is not an issue, and I'm able to get any mach-e version. Currently, I'm looking at getting the premium extended range, the GT, and the GT performance (all of these in eAWD). However if you would recommend a different version of the mach e other than these ones please let me know! From my own research, I found that the GT and GTPE share many similarities with the premium however it seems like you lose things in both gt/gtpe. One of them being range. Also, not sure if this is true but I've also heard that it takes longer to charge a gt/gtpe. Let me know if there are other things that are lost/gained from premium to gt/gtpe and vice versa. Lastly, speed is a cool feature but isn't something I really need/care about per say. Hence why I'm also considering the premium. So my question is, which version do you guys recommend I get?

Thanks for reading and the help!
I suggest you make your choice by prioritizing your needs. E.g., while I completely agree with @Murse-In-Airy that for roadtrips 260 vs 290 is likely not not be a deciding factor, if you anticipate making frequent single day trips in the 250 mile round trip range, then the longer range might make an important difference to you. (You wouldn't want to regularly get the battery down below 15-20%.) As others have mentioned, the front seats are different on the Premium, GT, and GTPE. I personally love the GT seating material and to my mind it's the nicest of the three. The GTPE seat contours are quite a bit different from the other two, so that could be a plus or a minus, depending on your needs. If you're worried about a bumpy ride, then the Magnaride may be helpful, though some say it doesn't much matter. Overall, the GT and GTPE rides are firmer than the Premium. None of these cars are anything close to slow, but the GT is fast and the GTPE is faster. Yes, it's true you can't go full power for long periods, but as others have said, unless you're at the track, you'll be fine. The Premium has 19" wheels, while the GT and GTPE have 20" wheels. The GTPE has summer tires that must not be used in low temperatures, so if you go that route, you'll need to change them out in the winter, or go to all season tires. The GTPE wheels are, IMHO, the best looking of the stock wheels, but much harder to clean than the GT wheels.

Have fun deciding and let us know what you choose! (Color too)

OP
OP
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford explorer ST
Occupation
co-op intern at ford
Country flag
I suggest you make your choice by prioritizing your needs. E.g., while I completely agree with @Murse-In-Airy that for roadtrips 260 vs 290 is likely not not be a deciding factor, if you anticipate making frequent single day trips in the 250 mile round trip range, then the longer range might make an important difference to you. (You wouldn't want to regularly get the battery down below 15-20%.) As others have mentioned, the front seats are different on the Premium, GT, and GTPE. I personally love the GT seating material and to my mind it's the nicest of the three. The GTPE seat contours are quite a bit different from the other two, so that could be a plus or a minus, depending on your needs. If you're worried about a bumpy ride, then the Magnaride may be helpful, though some say it doesn't much matter. Overall, the GT and GTPE rides are firmer than the Premium. None of these cars are anything close to slow, but the GT is fast and the GTPE is faster. Yes, it's true you can't go full power for long periods, but as others have said, unless you're at the track, you'll be fine. The Premium has 19" wheels, while the GT and GTPE have 20" wheels. The GTPE has summer tires that must not be used in low temperatures, so if you go that route, you'll need to change them out in the winter, or go to all season tires. The GTPE wheels are, IMHO, the best looking of the stock wheels, but much harder to clean than the GT wheels.

Have fun deciding and let us know what you choose! (Color too)
Thank you! Been hearing a lot of good things with the gt

nmope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GTPE, 17 MX5 Club
Country flag
Yeah it's a tough call depending what you prioritize. I was worried about the bouncy ride but so far with our Premium they either improved things or it's heavily overblown on this site because our car rides great. I definitely wouldn't find value in spending the extra money on a GT or GTPE over the Premium, and the extra money isn't an issue for us either. But spending money just to spend it doesn't make sense if there isn't value behind it. And so far I can't envision anything I would gain by going to one of the higher trim levels given the issues with the GT and GTPE with gray bars and all that.

Maybe the Gen 2 Mach-e we will get a GT, when they have resolved the gray bar issues and matured the platform. But right now if your priority is reliability and range along with creature comforts the Premium is the best route.

If you prioritize 0-60 speed for whatever reason and the GT badge, then get the GTPE since Magneride is still nice, even if not quite as essential as I was brought to believe. There is zero reason to get the GT if money is no object, it has all the drawbacks of the GTPE as far as gray bar issues and that, the same basic ride as the Premium, the same range loss as the GTPE compared to the Premium. It's the worst of both worlds.

So just have to decide, GTPE or Premium. If you road trip sometimes the extra range buffer can be helpful, especially in colder weather. The GTPE is faster, but if you aren't taking it to the track then who cares? I live in MI and work for Ford, while I am still WAH currently, when I have to go into REVC (where they build the Lightning) or whatever, there is no point on that route where being a little faster to 60 than a Premium is beneficial at all. Would be lucky to hit 60 before another traffic light or monster pothole. :)
What is the gray bar issue?

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
If you are already set on the Mach E, I agree with the others that it's hard to go wrong. I have a CA Route 1 (more basic than what you're shopping for) and am happy with its performance, comfort and practicality. I am pleasantly surprised by its build quality. While driving, it manages to have some character. While parked or at stop lights, total strangers connect with it. That shiny little pony has opened my eyes to the value of heritage.

It's by no means perfect, but I really like my Mach E, and am happy if its popularity goes up. However, it may be worth shopping around a bit. Pretty much any $50k+ EV will have one or more trim levels that are "everyday fast car (all-wheel drive) that I can use for every/most types of weather (snow, sleet rain, etc.)".

The question then becomes, what other features or qualities appeal to you? I'm on my third EV and have found that each has its wow factors, strengths, deficiencies, and head scratching flaws.
  • Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq 5/6, Genesis GV60
  • Tesla model 3/Y (unless you've absolutely ruled them out for some reason)
  • Porsche Taycan (you're almost at the starting price, a base model might do just fine; at this level, excellence will likely smother any annoyances)
  • BMW i4 (not a ground-up EV but damn if they didn't seem to get a lot right)
  • More on the way depending on how long you can wait
On the topic of range, keep in mind that under certain conditions--such as cold weather--you can lose quite a bit. If you foresee having long stretches between charges very often, you may want to consider buying more than you think you need.

On the flip side, if you charge every night and follow consensus best practice by stopping at 80%, a theoretical 30 mile advantage at 100% charge will shrink somewhat.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
…… right now if your priority is reliability and range along with creature comforts the Premium is the best route.

If you prioritize 0-60 speed for whatever reason and the GT badge, then get the GTPE since Magneride is still nice, even if not quite as essential as I was brought to believe. There is zero reason to get the GT if money is no object, it has all the drawbacks of the GTPE as far as gray bar issues and that, the same basic ride as the Premium, the same range loss as the GTPE compared to the Premium. It's the worst of both worlds.
Sorry, I’m absolutely disagree! GT is the best from both worlds! It has all benefits from Premium with better looking exterior design (front and rear bumper, stylish grill, lighted mustang front logo, factory painted red calipers), all black interior with alcantara, cooper stitching, faster from 0-60, normal tires comparing with premium tiny tires, which are dangerous. MME is heavy and powerful car, premium tires doesn’t work well in the corners. It’s cheaper then GTPE, has more practical seats and wheels for daily use(sunflower wheels are day and night in time of cleaning comparing with GTPE wheels). No magneride, which is benefit in future repairs and other glitches with “smart” technology. Only one drawback 5 sec limit. But GTPE has the same issue.
I know very well what premium is. My first MME was premium. I had to do list: paint calipers, wrap the grill with vinyl, buy and install lighted pony, replace headliner and pillar with black ones, because premium has half light interior, change tires and wheels. Why spend time and money to all of this if Ford already built ideal trim?
GT for sure, with no doubts.

Last edited:

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
"let's say that money is not an issue"

What a wonderful phrase. If that is true, of course go with GTPE. If you can go further up, Taycan 4S or Model S is also a solid choice.

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Magneride is a proven technology with a long track record, so it's not as if we're talking about something Ford whipped up in the lab over the last couple years.

Here's a good writeup for those who are interested:
https://www.drivingline.com/article...w-does-it-differ-from-traditional-suspension/
Unfortunately …. people have issues with magneride:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/search/1632084/?q=Suspension+fault&c[title_only]=1&o=date

My previous car was MB and in six years I replaced air suspension 3 times. It was very pricey fix. I don’t know the price of magneride replacement but I suspect it is higher then usual suspension. 🙂 Luckily this doesn’t matter for OP

"let's say that money is not an issue" đź‘Ť

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Only four complaints? That might make it the most reliable aspect of the car per this forum.

Kidding aside, my point is that this is a well-established solution that's been used in many, many cars over the years.

There will be an increased cost to replace if it fails, but that's true of any more expensive components.
Sponsored