Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium ER (soon), 2019 Mustang GT, 2017 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Government (IT)
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on this forum (not a car forum newbie though..LOL). I just watched this video from Jason at "Engineering Explained" (i'm sure a lot of you are familiar with him). I am still educating myself on everything BEV related and charging tech... this forum has been extremely helpful in that regard.
Most of you probably won't find the info in the video "news worthy", but, I found it very enlightening, and it explains a LOT (to me, a hard core performance ICE car lover) on why the ICE isn't going away for a long time yet, and why battery tech stills need to improve (and it will).
I'm still excited to get a BEV, and I think having a fun performance ICE car and a BEV in my garage will be the perfect mix, as Jason eludes to as well. Thanks!
Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems EV
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Jason from Engineering Explained is awesome! There are a lot of use cases where a BEV doesn't solve many problems but for those people who can tick off the right boxes, an EV makes perfect sense.

We're still in the early adopter phase of the technology adoption curve but quickly headed towards "early majority".

What Jason didn't touch on in his video are what the implications are of greater adoption of EVs. What happens when people pick up an EV as a second car?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Clearly ICE are not "dead" anytime soon. But, to paraphrase Churchill we are not at the beginning of the end of the ICE era, but we are at the end of the beginning of the era of BEV's.

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
ICE isn't going away soon, but some "problems" that a BEV will eliminate are:
  • “Check engine“ lights
  • Dirty Air filters
  • Squeaky belts
  • Transmission problems
  • Cracked cylinder heads
  • Oil stains in the driveway
  • Oil changes
  • Rotting exhaust systems
  • Changing spark plugs
  • Jump starts
  • Emissions testing
  • Warming up the engine in the winter
  • Expensive catalytic converters
  • Bad oxygen sensors
  • Opening the garage door to heat/cool the car before leaving

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
  • “Check engine“ lights
  • Dirty Air filters
  • Squeaky belts
  • Transmission problems
  • Cracked cylinder heads
  • Oil changes
  • Changing spark plugs
  • Jump starts
  • Emissions testing
  • Warming up the engine in the winter
  • Bad oxygen sensors
  • Opening the garage door to heat/cool the car before leaving
You forgot one that, in fact, bit me earlier this week. Filling up at the gas station, only to have the stupid nozzle burp back at you and splash you full of gas on the way to work causing you to have to double-back home, take a full shower, change, and then get back on the road to work. Honestly, if the Mach E were available today after having that experience, I'd likely buy 2 of them!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on this forum (not a car forum newbie though..LOL). I just watched this video from Jason at "Engineering Explained" (i'm sure a lot of you are familiar with him). I am still educating myself on everything BEV related and charging tech... this forum has been extremely helpful in that regard.
Most of you probably won't find the info in the video "news worthy", but, I found it very enlightening, and it explains a LOT (to me, a hard core performance ICE car lover) on why the ICE isn't going away for a long time yet, and why battery tech stills need to improve (and it will).
I'm still excited to get a BEV, and I think having a fun performance ICE car and a BEV in my garage will be the perfect mix, as Jason eludes to as well. Thanks!
Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems EV
It's funny, I just watched that video this morning too. Must be high on the YouTube trending list or something.

Yes, excellent video. And makes many of the same points I've noted, except he does it in a far more entertaining and clear way. :cool:

I've been saying for some time now that I think the primary market for BEVs will be as 2nd cars in a household (paired with an ICE), for people with a house and a garage for secure, dedicated overnight charging at residential rates. In other words - largely suburbanites. It's the perfect vehicle for <100 mile daily commutes.

But not for longer drives. Not that it's impossible to do a longer drive, of course, but the longer the drive, the more compromising required. And that tends to make it less and less of a good fit for that purpose (for multiple reasons).

Last edited:

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
The fact the mach-e will come with a home charger, plus the optional wall units tells you all you need to know that Ford will push the whole charge it at home mentality so for a lot of people the range is enough to cover the average day / couple of days worth of errands or commuting.

Sure you can go on a long trip but at present, it takes longer and costs more,. Once you get up to highway speeds in a lot of BEV's the range takes a nose dive. In time it will get there but it still has a long way to go.

Not really sure I am saving the planet much by owning another vehicles but I would rather crawl along in traffic in a BEV where it is perfectly suited and keep the ICE for the long trips on the highway and fun drives through the twisties.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Love the Engineering Explained videos!!!
He's done a lot to educate me and others on a whole host of topics, not to mention BEVs.
And don't forget too CAFE Standards. A BEV or two in a company's lineup actually *allows* or frees Ford and others to continue to offer ICE cars in fun performance variants too! #ShelbyGT500

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Not really sure I am saving the planet much by owning another vehicles but I would rather crawl along in traffic in a BEV where it is perfectly suited and keep the ICE for the long trips on the highway and fun drives through the twisties.
Dude, you are SO missing out. If you think an ICE vehicle is fun in the twisties, wait till you drive a quality EV. :) Seriously. I've driven many sports cars on winding roads and a few tracks. My EV is so much more fun than any of them. Remember, instant throttle response. One pedal driving. No shifting. I know, "but I like my manual shifter!" Yeah, so did I. It's way more gratifying to concentrate completely on the road and ALWAYS be in the perfect gear.

And road trips are a ball in an EV. We just spent a day driving to the Oregon coast, took a detour on my favorite windy road, had clam chowder and drinks overlooking the ocean, walked on the beach, explored different coastal towns, ate dinner overlooking the ocean while we took on an extra 60 miles of range at the restaurant's free destination charger, drove up the coast to the Columbia, bought fresh crab off the docks and zipped home. Best day in a car ever. :) (BTW, we got home with lots of range left, although it would have been tight without the dinner charge up.)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dude, you are SO missing out. If you think an ICE vehicle is fun in the twisties, wait till you drive a quality EV. :) Seriously. I've driven many sports cars on winding roads and a few tracks. My EV is so much more fun than any of them. Remember, instant throttle response. One pedal driving. No shifting. I know, "but I like my manual shifter!" Yeah, so did I. It's way more gratifying to concentrate completely on the road and ALWAYS be in the perfect gear.

And road trips are a ball in an EV. We just spent a day driving to the Oregon coast, took a detour on my favorite windy road, had clam chowder and drinks overlooking the ocean, walked on the beach, explored different coastal towns, ate dinner overlooking the ocean while we took on an extra 60 miles of range at the restaurant's free destination charger, drove up the coast to the Columbia, bought fresh crab off the docks and zipped home. Best day in a car ever. :) (BTW, we got home with lots of range left, although it would have been tight without the dinner charge up.)
There's another example where one term ("road trip") isn't specific enough for BEVs. Just like "range" isn't. Because it varies so greatly.

A 200 mile RT road trip is surely great in a 200+ mile BEV. Especially if there's a charger (a free one, no less) at the place you plan on spending an hour anyway. Perfect!

But a road trip from Denver to the Grand Canyon, or Chicago to Branson, or Atlanta to Orlando is a whole different matter. Short road trips, fine. Longer ones are where the compromises add up fast.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
It depends where you're going for sure. The more range you have, the faster you can charge--or charge fast enough where you're stopping anyway--and the more chargers you have access to the more fun you'll have. TBH, at my age I was pretty fed up with time in the car. I drive 170 miles to work--one way--and at work I fly for up to 13 hours--with breaks--at a shot.

My EV has made driving fun all over again though. Like where we ate at the coast. We might never have gone there, but I found it on the Plugshare app. We stopped for the charger, and found our new favorite restaurant at the beach. Road trips are an adventure again. It helps that our car is the most comfortable car I've ever driven, and that it drove half the trip home. :)

I've been enjoying the One Lap thread on another forum. It's a must read for anyone with an EV. After following it my wife and I want to do our own road trip for sure. Probably hit the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and Glacier. Mind you, we can fly to those places for free. A year ago I was sick of long distance driving. And here I am wanting to do a road trip again. EV road trips need planning for sure. But that's part of what makes it an adventure. It's part of what makes it fun. I encourage everyone with an EV to do one before we have so many chargers that it becomes just another drive again.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I get the thrill of taking on the challenge. Almost like a road rally. I did some of those in my teens/20s. There's the extra thrill of the risk involved too (that one necessary charging station 100 miles from the next closest one being down, or full).

Decades ago I'd have found that fun. But now I want dependability and predictably. And time efficiency. So for anything longer than a day's charge will be in the ICE instead. But that's fine, we love our Escape too. ?

The Mach-e will get most of our miles though, daily around home.

jojomontag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
  • “Check engine“ lights--"Service Vehicle Soon" with a little wrench is a Check Engine light--mine is in the shop right now.
  • Dirty Air filters--cabin filters can get dirty--the Mach E has one.
  • Squeaky belts
  • Transmission problems
  • Cracked cylinder heads
  • Oil changes
  • Changing spark plugs
  • Jump starts
  • Emissions testing
  • Warming up the engine in the winter--newer cars do not require this--it is best if you do this for the Mach E
  • Bad oxygen sensors
  • Opening the garage door to heat/cool the car before leaving ?? I have never done this. And it is probably recommended for the Mach E--preconditioning is recommended by Ford.
Can't argue with most items in the list, but a few shouldn't have been included.

EV Behr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer soon Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Truck driver
Country flag
You forgot one that, in fact, bit me earlier this week. Filling up at the gas station, only to have the stupid nozzle burp back at you and splash you full of gas on the way to work causing you to have to double-back home, take a full shower, change, and then get back on the road to work. Honestly, if the Mach E were available today after having that experience, I'd likely buy 2 of them!
I’m hoping for a Maverick size EV truck too. Can’t wait for our MME GT.
Sponsored