Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
If you wrap a roof rack bar with a bungee cord it eliminates the noise. This video shows it using a bungee cord with hooks on either end, which works fine, but I think it looks leaner using a bungee with no hooks. You can buy bungee by the foot at a store like REI and just tie either end into a loop.

Great idea - anything that breaks the laminar flow of air over the bars will help with noise. Same reason sunroofs have either little “shark teeth” or pop-up screens deployed when open.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I mean, it says "with Normal Roof" on the product. Can you use it on a pano roof, apparently so, was it designed and sold to be used on a pano roof, no its not.

I would assume there are far more pano roofs out there than metal, that is cutting their market a TON. I'm pretty sure they would sell a pano roof version if there was not a valid reason as to why they did not make the product for the glass roof. Its only rated for 165lbs on a metal roof, who knows what weight a glass roof could safely support.

Last edited:

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
That kind of solution should work fine with pano. The bearing construction is not the middle part of the roof.
The EU restrictions seems to be on the lack of paperwork/testing to get it certified.
As long as it's legal I wouldn't worry.
Since Thule has created a proud I assume it is legal in North America?

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I mean, it says "with Normal Roof" on the product. Can you use it on a pano roof, apparently so, was it designed and sold to be used on a pano roof, no its not.

I would assume there are far more pano roofs out there than metal, that is cutting their market a TON. I'm pretty sure they would sell a pano roof version if there was not a valid reason as to why they did not make the product for the glass roof. Its only rated for 165lbs on a metal roof, who knows what weight a glass roof could safely support.
You speak with astounding assurance that you KNOW this is designed for the metal roof only. Pray tell where you garnered such expertise? It couldn’t possibly just be your assumption, could it? Perhaps even a mistaken assumption?

If you look up a 2021 F-150 you get two options:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E 2488B6AE-600F-454B-B433-EEA217C0C2EC

If you choose “normal roof” you get a fit solution similar to the one for the Mach E. If you choose truck bed there is no fit solution. Despite the F-150 having a glass roof option that isn’t discussed.
You can see in @Guy’s photo the Mount is on the metal roof supports, not the glass.

So let’s go back to your statement “was it designed and sold to be used on a pano roof, no its not.” Where did you gain this expert information you stated with total certainty?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Based on what I see on the Thule car selector for other SUV, a normal roof is a roof that doesn't have rails. It's not referring to Metal vs Glass roof. It is my understanding that since the Mach-E does not come with any roof rails, Normal is the only option.

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
Lets keep the Thule discussion/banter over in the other thread. Its good that we have the link here shared here for reference, and I look forward to more info on it as it develops.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You speak with astounding assurance that you KNOW this is designed for the metal roof only. Pray tell where you garnered such expertise? It couldn’t possibly just be your assumption, could it? Perhaps even a mistaken assumption?

If you look up a 2021 F-150 you get two options:

If you choose “normal roof” you get a fit solution similar to the one for the Mach E. If you choose truck bed there is no fit solution. Despite the F-150 having a glass roof option that isn’t discussed.
You can see in @Guy’s photo the Mount is on the metal roof supports, not the glass.

So let’s go back to your statement “was it designed and sold to be used on a pano roof, no its not.” Where did you gain this expert information you stated with total certainty?
No need for internet alpha male chest ballooning. One day you might be able to graduate to a seasoned keyboard warrior, but right now you just come across as arrogant.

I'm going by the product description that says "Normal Roof". I am using the information that is provided to the consumer from the manufacture. It's not an assumption, it is based off the product description. If the rack is intended to work with the glass roof then the manufacture should be indicating that (like it does for the Tesla 3) but in this case they do not.

It must be nice to be immune to your own criticism. Was it engineered to work with the glass roof too, ya maybe, that however IS an assumption that you are making, you are the one arrogantly assuming things. I'm going off of the information that is posted on the product from the people that made it. Instead of comparing a F150 panoramic moon roof to the MME's full glass roof, why not compare it to Tesla, you know a car with the same type of roof. Lets see, oh the Model 3 actually shows an option for a glass roof!! Oh wait, they don't have a rack that can safely be mounted. Huh looks like all the rest of the Teslas are that way too, no rack, imagen that.

My post was intended to bring to light that the product is not advertised to be used on the glass roof. I personally think knowing that is important when making a buying decision. I also think its important from a safety standpoint.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No need for internet alpha male chest ballooning. One day you might be able to graduate to a seasoned keyboard warrior, but right now you just come across as arrogant.

I'm going by the product description that says "Normal Roof". I am using the information that is provided to the consumer from the manufacture. It's not an assumption, it is based off the product description. If the rack is intended to work with the glass roof then the manufacture should be indicating that (like it does for the Tesla 3) but in this case they do not.

It must be nice to be immune to your own criticism. Was it engineered to work with the glass roof too, ya maybe, that however IS an assumption that you are making, you are the one arrogantly assuming things. I'm going off of the information that is posted on the product from the people that made it. Instead of comparing a F150 panoramic moon roof to the MME's full glass roof, why not compare it to Tesla, you know a car with the same type of roof. Lets see, oh the Model 3 actually shows an option for a glass roof!! Oh wait, they don't have a rack that can safely be mounted. Huh looks like all the rest of the Teslas are that way too, no rack, imagen that.

My post was intended to bring to light that the product is not advertised to be used on the glass roof. I personally think knowing that is important when making a buying decision. I also think its important from a safety standpoint.
I agree knowing is important. It is also important to separate fact from opinions in posts.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Based on what I see on the Thule car selector for other SUV, a normal roof is a roof that doesn't have rails. It's not referring to Metal vs Glass roof. It is my understanding that since the Mach-E does not come with any roof rails, Normal is the only option.
Awwwwh I could see where that would make sense, I could agree with that. Although for the Model 3 they do have a drop down for the glass roof. I feel like maybe the manufacture is not doing their self's much favor in how they are advertising their product.

I emailed them before all this nonsense cause I was interested as I am a family of 4 plus a 100lb dog and a 50lb dog. They said it works with the MME because they are all glass roofs, and that they just don't advise opening it.. lol I messaged them back and explained the MME is like the Tesla where its a full glass roof. They replied back saying that they would have to recheck and get back with me, not heard back yet.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree knowing is important. It is also important to separate fact from opinions in posts.
Here's an example of the difference between stating something is a fact with only an assumption to back it up, vs stating something with evidence.

Good news: Thule says is a valid solution for Mach Es with the panoramic glass roof!

Here are my exchanges with them since April:

Mark Eakin April 8, 13:44 GMT
Do you have any idea how long it will be before you have fittings to mount a roof rack onto the Ford Mustang Mach E?

NA - Thule.com Contact us form April 23, 12:03 GMT
Hello Mark,

Sorry for the delay, we still have no update for a fit for this vehicle

After extensive testing by our engineers, this car is deemed a no fit due to the fact that there is no safe place to attach the rack to the roofline of the vehicle.

thanks

Mark Eakin April 23, 15:19 GMT
That is quite disappointing but thank you for letting me know.
Stay well, Mark

Mark Eakin November 18, 19:14 GMT
I’m thrilled to see that Thule found a way to make a rack for the Mustang Mach
E, as your website now shows solutions for your new Eco series bars.
In entering the car information, your website uses the term “normal roof”.

Most Mustang Mach Es come with a panoramic glass roof. Does “normal roof” imply
it is only for those cars with a solid metal roof or does this solution work
for cars with a panoramic glass roof?

Many people on the Mach E Forum and other online groups are eager to have a
roof rack solution!
Thanks, Mark

NA - Thule.com Contact us form November 18, 20:20 GMT
Hi Mark,
Yes, it's fine. The clamps will not interfere with the sunroof, or there would have been a special note on the fit guide.
Cheers!

Best regards,
Kate
Thule

Mark Eakin November 18, 20:57 GMT
Wonderful. Thank you very much!

Mark

911roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I wouldn’t be caught dead with one of those on my GT The people I know who have them never use them I think they are a fad that people want to be seen as “adventurers”

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
? Great contribution roger

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wouldn’t be caught dead with one of those on my GT The people I know who have them never use them I think they are a fad that people want to be seen as “adventurers”
Can't wait to get mine, I need it

MachE.jpg
Sponsored