Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had the same update this week and charged my car at the full 48 amps with no sound at all.
Its a huge difference not sure how they let the car out without this fix. They had to notice that in testing I mean it was soooo loud with the update its so quite now.
Sponsored

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
I just installed a Chargepoint Homeflex yesterday, hard-wired, 60 amp breaker. I selected 60A on the Chargepoint App and my Mach-E was charging at 11.25 kW. Quiet in the beginning, then a steady "portable generator" type loud noise. I had to stop charging before my neighbors could complain. I selected 50 amp breaker on the App, getting 9.4 kW, no noise. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I have the same installation. On a 60 amp breaker also. You may not on a 60 amp breaker but the CP Homeflex can only charge at a maximum of 48 amps. You can install a 80 amp breaker, reprogram the CP Homeflex and only gain 1 extra mile per hour for charging. To come back to your original issue. I had the same issue. In the summer or any warm or hot days the cooling fans will be audibly noticeable when the charging was above 10KW and charging at 34-35 miles per hour. During the late fall, winter and early spring when temps outside are below 60° overnight the noise coming from the fans is non existent. Don't know if the fans are going to get louder when the temps start rising again.
What I have now though is that the louvers motors are making racheting noise and move continuously from the open to the close position thru out the entire charge session. The movement use to be silent and very subtle. The racheting is almost the same as a broken gear or the motors run to the limit of travel.
Also......I remember an update reprogrammed my charging schedule and the levels I set in my schedule. I had to go in and set my charging level anew. Then another update came in and I got back my options to charge to 80% or charge to 100%.
The racheting though bothers me. I kind would like to have noise from the cooling fans than to listen to the racheting.
Going to dig in to the owners manual for some insight.
Nick.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I have the same installation. On a 60 amp breaker also. You may not on a 60 amp breaker but the CP Homeflex can only charge at a maximum of 48 amps. You can install a 80 amp breaker, reprogram the CP Homeflex and only gain 1 extra mile per hour for charging. To come back to your original issue. I had the same issue. In the summer or any warm or hot days the cooling fans will be audibly noticeable when the charging was above 10KW and charging at 34-35 miles per hour. During the late fall, winter and early spring when temps outside are below 60° overnight the noise coming from the fans is non existent. Don't know if the fans are going to get louder when the temps start rising again.
What I have now though is that the louvers motors are making racheting noise and move continuously from the open to the close position thru out the entire charge session. The movement use to be silent and very subtle. The racheting is almost the same as a broken gear or the motors run to the limit of travel.
Also......I remember an update reprogrammed my charging schedule and the levels I set in my schedule. I had to go in and set my charging level anew. Then another update came in and I got back my options to charge to 80% or charge to 100%.
The racheting though bothers me. I kind would like to have noise from the cooling fans than to listen to the racheting.
Going to dig in to the owners manual for some insight.
Nick.
Why haven't you had the charging update performed, TSB 21-2278? This eliminates the high speed fan noise.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I just installed a Chargepoint Homeflex yesterday, hard-wired, 60 amp breaker. I selected 60A on the Chargepoint App and my Mach-E was charging at 11.25 kW. Quiet in the beginning, then a steady "portable generator" type loud noise. I had to stop charging before my neighbors could complain. I selected 50 amp breaker on the App, getting 9.4 kW, no noise. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Did you have a dealer do the TSB update for charging noise?

Mine (FE, Dec. 20) used to make a racket before the TSB at 48A chargepoint flex. We are still coming out of winter, but it was much quieter after the update.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Why haven't you had the charging update performed, TSB 21-2278? This eliminates the high speed fan noise.
It depends on HVB temp. The cooling system can and will still activate if the battery temp gets high. 48A charging here in AZ is a pretty good way to get the battery hot.

You should hear the sound it makes when 3 or 4 eTransit vans are parked in a warehouse all charging at 48A. Sounds like an airplane hangar.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
I don't know if any updates have fixed the issue with the loud fans. I don't hear the fans at this time. But.....winter is still hanging on here for a bit longer......so the fans may get louder again. What concerns me though now is the racheting noise the louvers make when they open and close.
A visit to the dealer may address this issue and check on the loud fans. The fans operating at high speed is something I can leave with if the issue come back again in a month or so.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The noted update fixed the fan issue for me, which was noisy at 48amps without a hot garage, and went away after the fix was applied.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Fans have quiet down a lot. Barely hear them now. The louvers are racheting a bit but not as often. The louvers used to open and close smoothly without any sound.
Sponsored