rjRayes

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE AWD EXT
Country flag
Yes, this is normal; especially if you have an EVSE that can deliver a full 48A. The battery coolant system kicks in and goes full blast during the middle of the charging session. It surprised me too, but I’m not bothered by it because I can’t hear it when the car is in the garage. I expect there are some scenarios where it might be annoying to someone else if the car was parked outside.

I agree with the others on this thread suggesting a reduction in the amperage (32A instead of 48A). 32A is good enough for most scenarios, unless you’re at 0% and need to be topped up to 100% the following morning. You’ve got me curious now…I’m going to try a 32A session at home and see what happens.
I tried it both at 16 amps and at 32 amps and the fan does NOT kick on in a hot garage. Charging at 48 amps always causes the fan to kick on (very loud) after about 10 mins of charging and until charging is complete.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
Im not super technical, so by lowering ampere in my electrical system in my home , this should reduce the cooling need in the cars system, right? So this means also that when im charging at a fast charger next to the highway I have the same insane noise?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Im not super technical, so by lowering ampere in my electrical system in my home , this should reduce the cooling need in the cars system, right? So this means also that when im charging at a fast charger next to the highway I have the same insane noise?
Yes, if you reduce the flow of current (amperes) in your home wall box, this will reduce the cooling needs (and the noise) from the car's system.

At home, your wallbox is supplying alternating current (AC) to the car. But the battery uses direct current (DC). The device in the vehicle that manages this conversion (the built-in charger) can get too hot with higher currents, and this is why you hear the noise from the cooling systems which are managing it.

It's different when you connect the vehicle to a fast charger by the highway. That public charger is supplying DC current directly to the vehicle's battery. The built-in charger isn't used during this type of recharge so it shouldn't require any cooling.

However, you will still hear some cooling systems while you're at a public charger. The car's going to keep the battery pack at appropriate temperatures, as the battery generates considerable heat while transferring power at higher rates. You won't notice it as much because the charge station itself will also likely have loud fans, pumps, and other noises, and they're probably more noticeable.

If you're sitting inside the car with the windows closed, the noises are mostly muted due to all the sound insulation on the Mach-E.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, if you reduce the flow of current (amperes) in your home wall box, this will reduce the cooling needs (and the noise) from the car's system.

At home, your wallbox is supplying alternating current (AC) to the car. But the battery uses direct current (DC). The device in the vehicle that manages this conversion (the built-in charger) can get too hot with higher currents, and this is why you hear the noise from the cooling systems which are managing it.

It's different when you connect the vehicle to a fast charger by the highway. That public charger is supplying DC current directly to the vehicle's battery. The built-in charger isn't used during this type of recharge so it shouldn't require any cooling.

However, you will still hear some cooling systems while you're at a public charger. The car's going to keep the battery pack at appropriate temperatures, as the battery generates considerable heat while transferring power at higher rates. You won't notice it as much because the charge station itself will also likely have loud fans, pumps, and other noises, and they're probably more noticeable.

If you're sitting inside the car with the windows closed, the noises are mostly muted due to all the sound insulation on the Mach-E.
Wow this is really helpful!
So its because I have AC inhouse and needs to be turned into DC it needs to cool the converter in the car. Thats not needed when connected to a public DC charger. But then the question remains: Of course Id like to charge at home with max power. Is this a nogo then? Im sure more people here have arranged a 3 Phase connection just to charge their cars...why do other electric cars dont have this problem? The noise is just too much for any neighbourhood

HVH

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E RWD STD RANGE
Country flag
I just came back from a drive and plugged the car in for charging, currently at 10.4kw. It´s under a carport and the sun is shinning right at the front. Fan is blowing but not as loud as on the mentioned videos, that loud is crazy.

I have set the airco off in the car, maybe worth a try.

Specs : RWD std range, max charging ( 3 phase 16a with load balancing and solar panels)

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
My dad's Volvo XC90 T8 PHEV makes a similarly loud sound too when plugged in, even at low charging speeds (3-phase at 240V). Granted, he lives in the tropics and it's always hot there (and it's a different car) - but this sounds a) normal; b) hard-coded to turn on the cooling system to max, regardless of ambient air temperature. I suspect it's a similar thought process to the MME's ridiculous DC charging curve: Ford engineers are overly concerned about cooling and longevity of components, and are trying to "get ahead" of any heat soaking that might occur.

Or it could be due to all the hoses in the frunk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
My Audi Etron makes similar noise when charging @ 9.6kw 40 amp charger. Fortunately I have indoor garage with insulated walls so can't hear outside garage. Anything above 50f or 10c and the entire cooling apparatus takes off, compressor/fans and all. I actually have a 24 amp EVSE and a 32 amp outlet to slow the charge rate if I don't really need 40 amp.

My MachE is actually a titch quieter than the Etron but I really havn't tested it in 110f heat we get in summer.

If the noise is annoying do you have to charge everyday. I only charge my MachE 1-2 times a week and I drive the American;) quota of miles a day. As everyone has said drop the kw and the cooling load drops. I would get a 24 amp EVSE, very cheap online and charge with that. You will still get a full charge at night and most of this cooling requirement should go away. You can still charge with the 48amp when you absolutely need to.

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
why do other electric cars dont have this problem?
They do. My Tesla sounds like a jet engine when supercharging in the summer time. When the ambient temperature is below freezing it doesn't make a sound.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Worked with cooling fans for DC power for many moons. If you can get to the fan and spin it with you finger you can tell if the bearing is junk. Anything other than perfectly smooth rotation it will need to be replaced. If it is blade rub the sound should get better over time as the blades wear.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok people. Update:
Thanks so much for all your feedback. Really appreciated as you can imagine that in cases like these, you can get very depressed.
So what I did was this. In the dipswitches of my 3 phase charging station I lowered the amperes from 16 to 10. Thats the lowest it can provide. Started charging and tadaaaaa. Silence. Its been charging for 40 mins now and its close to silent. Yes, the fan doors are open and you can subtly hear a silent fan turning but other than that, really great.
Of course, its a real problem I cant charge fast at home and it takes about 11 hours now. So im really curious to what Fords going to say. You cant sell a car in Holland where most people have 3 phase 16 amps connections and make noise that wakes up a block of 4 houses. Its really just way too loud. For now, this is a good temp solution but Im really afraid Fords going to say its factory spec and so all Dutch customers cant charge fast at home. Then they missed to whole damn point of driving electric.

Keep you posted

Last edited:

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Just picked up a Mach E yesterday. Charging from the provided charger at 115v it was being loud. That was at about 77% charge after being on the road about 70 miles from the dealer and in a hot garage, and ended up not leaving it plugged in over night. This morning it is not making near as much noise, and vehicle hasn't been drive as many miles (and charge is a few percent lower).
Probably a combination of batter charge %, temperature, charging speed, how recently and how far the vehicle was recently driven, etc...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just picked up a Mach E yesterday. Charging from the provided charger at 115v it was being loud. That was at about 77% charge after being on the road about 70 miles from the dealer and in a hot garage, and ended up not leaving it plugged in over night. This morning it is not making near as much noise, and vehicle hasn't been drive as many miles (and charge is a few percent lower).
Probably a combination of batter charge %, temperature, charging speed, how recently and how far the vehicle was recently driven, etc...
Combination of charge speed and battery temp determines the cooling strategy level. There are 3 basic strategies used by the vehicle. It chooses the strategy that consumes the least amount of energy while still able to maintain the desired battery temp.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Combination of charge speed and battery temp determines the cooling strategy level. There are 3 basic strategies used by the vehicle. It chooses the strategy that consumes the least amount of energy while still able to maintain the desired battery temp.
On a related note, does anyone know what the energy draw of these different cooling systems are?

It literally sounds like there is quite a bit going on with the active cooling. I wonder if it would be worthwhile from an energy use/cost standpoint to try and charge when it is coolest in the summer, or if the energy draw from the active cooling is relatively insignificant even if the cooling fans are going full-speed.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
On a related note, does anyone know what the energy draw of these different cooling systems are?

It literally sounds like there is quite a bit going on with the active cooling. I wonder if it would be worthwhile from an energy use/cost standpoint to try and charge when it is coolest in the summer, or if the energy draw from the active cooling is relatively insignificant even if the cooling fans are going full-speed.
Generally speaking fans don't take much energy, but compressors take a fair amount. It's probably not a big deal how fast the fans are running (assuming they have different speeds and/or qty), but worth finding a cooler time to charge if possible to avoid the compressor.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Of course, its a real problem I cant charge fast at home and it takes about 11 hours now. So im really curious to what Fords going to say. You cant sell a car in Holland where most people have 3 phase 16 amps connections and make noise that wakes up a block of 4 houses. Its really just way too loud. For now, this is a good temp solution but Im really afraid Fords going to say its factory spec and so all Dutch customers cant charge fast at home. Then they missed to whole damn point of driving electric.

Keep you posted
Can you experiment with the dip switches. snGBC says there are (3) levels. Maybe the mid level is more acceptable if you can find the line for that.

I think the compressor noise will become a real issue in EU as so many cars are charged on the street. If enough of a stink is raised in EU the manufacturers will do something about the compressor noise.
Sponsored