Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Possibly the voltage at your home is higher than the base 230volt.
Note that 3x16Ax230volt = 11kWh.
I looked at the voltage during charing on my wallbox.
All three phases has only maximum 213 volt, no more.

Does anybody know if the ac/dc converter is watercooled?
Sponsored

JBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RWD SR
Country flag
I looked at the voltage during charing on my wallbox.
All three phases has only maximum 213 volt, no more.
Well this fact now most certainly rules out voltage issues.

Today I got into a fresh delivered RWD MME to testdrive to check if a rumble comming from the front of my car is was also present in that car but after 200meters we had to turn back as the airco in the car was off but suddenly went full pull. Few 100 meter further we got a big red warning on the dash the cooling of the batterypack was overheating. Might be a software bug but didn't look good and is possibly connected with the charging issue.

All very strange but unfortunately this killed the possibilty to trace my issue :(

Last edited:

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Tested it today a bit.

Charging with 13 Ampere, so about 8 kW, the car stays quiet.
When I am raise the ampere to 14A, the car is unpleasantly loud

So what ampere did you use?

Did some videos today

One minute after starting with 11kW (16A)

5 minutes after starting with 11kW

10 minutes after starting with 11kW

I tested it 30 minutes after the last video because I would like to know if the fan is reducing the speed after some time.
But unfortunately not, it stays loud.

I stopped the charging, decreased to 13A and started charging again and the car stays quiet.
I charged 1 1/2 hours and it was ok.

I've never heard my car any louder than your first video while charging at home. Its been louder when I was Fast Charging on a road trip on a hot day, but that is expected.

I do keep my car in the garage, but the garage still gets pretty hot. I do only let mine charge at night though.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I've never heard my car any louder than your first video while charging at home. Its been louder when I was Fast Charging on a road trip on a hot day, but that is expected.

I do keep my car in the garage, but the garage still gets pretty hot. I do only let mine charge at night though.
Using included Level 2 charger, or do you have a third party unit? What amperage?

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are aware some customers are experiencing high fan speeds/noise during high power L2 charging. Know this is normal operation and perfectly safe. We are actively working to develop a revised calibration to reduce the fan speed/noise during L2 charge events.
In the meantime, Mustang Mach-E owners have found by reducing their L2 charger power to ~8kW (240V @ 32A or equivalent) also reduces the fan noise.
Ford will be releasing more information on a revised fan calibration once we complete testing.
Stay tuned.
L1 can make some V8 like noises on the fans too for short bursts.
I keep looking for the ICE Mustang.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Using included Level 2 charger, or do you have a third party unit? What amperage?
I have a chargepoint Home Flex, charging at 11kw. 60amp line.

Indy Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Prem AWD, 2019 F150, ‘94 Vet, 1948 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Everyone,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are aware some customers are experiencing high fan speeds/noise during high power L2 charging. Know this is normal operation and perfectly safe. We are actively working to develop a revised calibration to reduce the fan speed/noise during L2 charge events.
In the meantime, Mustang Mach-E owners have found by reducing their L2 charger power to ~8kW (240V @ 32A or equivalent) also reduces the fan noise.
Ford will be releasing more information on a revised fan calibration once we complete testing.
Stay tuned.
Sign me up for the stay tuned. I'm getting unbelievable noise in an 85-90 degree attached garage in Indiana. I quieted it down by opening the door to the garage and placing a fan in front of the MME to blow air conditioned air towards the front of the car. I though the bearings in the fan must be going out. Ford recently replaced some cells in my car and it never made the noise before and we had some hot days then too.

Jscotty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
I get the extreme fan noise with L1 charging on hot days. My coworker has a Tesla that was plugged in as well and was giving me cramp all days about it.

Ronald

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Peel P50
Country flag
Got my MME last Friday. Ford warned me some MME have an issue with the fans turning on full speed while charging.

Today got my first time to charge the car, and unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones who got a vacuum cleaner instead of a car.
Having no garage or carport, I need to charge on public charging station around the corner. Already feeling embarrassed putting the car there, while this should be a car to be proud of.

OP
OP
ODBMongoose

ODBMongoose

First Name
Niels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SR RWD Mach-E Star White Tech Pack Plus
Country flag
Got my MME last Friday. Ford warned me some MME have an issue with the fans turning on full speed while charging.

Today got my first time to charge the car, and unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones who got a vacuum cleaner instead of a car.
Having no garage or carport, I need to charge on public charging station around the corner. Already feeling embarrassed putting the car there, while this should be a car to be proud of.
Thats a bugger indeed. You're not alone.
Ford acknowledged the problem and is working on a solution. Likely and hopefully simply by an OTA update

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
So glad I stumbled upon this thread. This happened to me the first night I charged at L1 with the included EVSE--exactly the same noise. Was wondering why it sounded like a lawnmower in my driveway. I charged it 5 1/2 hours--and the fan/compressor ran the whole time. It was nighttime, high 70s, humid as heck. Didn't get too much of a charge during that time, about 6% or 12 miles, according to the app--really low. That was like my old Volt on the 8A trickle charge setting.

I've been using my "complimentary" kWh from Ford at local DC charging stations so I haven't needed to charge at home since then. I'll report back when I give it another try. Will also tell my dealer.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I charge my Mach e using a 40amp Grizzl e charger, with hardly any noise at all. All I hear is a slight hum, hardly noticeable. I would suggest having the dealer look at it.

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I charge my Mach e using a 40amp Grizzl e charger, with hardly any noise at all. All I hear is a slight hum, hardly noticeable. I would suggest having the dealer look at it.
I have written this before. When I charge my car with the Ford charge station at 48 Amos it makes noise. But when I turn it down to 30 amps there is no noise.
Sponsored