Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
No, the magnet just makes it easier to align the coil and holds it in place. But I don't think either of those will be an issue with the rubber mat.
Then I submit Occam's Razor is the correct approach instead of Frankenstein's.

That charging pad is plenty big and the rubber ridges will keep the phone in place.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
What is the charge strength of this charger? Is it at least 15w? If not the magnet thing is moot.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I still think the biggest reason to want "MagSafe" in your Mach-E isn't by retro-ing magnets in, that isn't going to get you much (the pad should provide plenty of grip for the phone to stay put, and it looks like they have a rather large wireless mat under the pad, probably with a few coils for different phone positions).

You'll want a legit MagSafe wireless charger in there because it's currently the only wireless charger that will allow your iPhone 12 to charge up to 15W. All other wireless chargers will be limited to 7W charging. If you're using Wireless Apple Carplay and wirelessly charging on a normal Qi charger, you won't gain much battery life. Using a legit MagSafe charger will double the charging speed.

We'll have to wait and see how it actually plays out though. Just my .02 on the subject.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-C...-Max-11-XS-8-Cover-for-Mag-safe-/363202626673

For anyone still interested, here's some cheap magnet rings to put under that rubber pad that'll work great. $4. As for 15W idk if even the USB ports will do that, do we know?
We won't until someone nerdier can test. The built-in wireless charger would not charge an iPhone 12 at 15W since it isn't an official MagSafe charger. If you really wanted that wireless charging speed you'd more than likely need to get a 12V 20W charger that supports the PD profile the MagSafe charger requires for 15W charging.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
We won't until someone nerdier can test. The built-in wireless charger would not charge an iPhone 12 at 15W since it isn't an official MagSafe charger. If you really wanted that wireless charging speed you'd more than likely need to get a 12V 20W charger that supports the PD profile the MagSafe charger requires for 15W charging.
I really don't care about 15W wireless. The capability was announced in september for a December launch, i have no expectation of it being in the car.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My general thought is, "Does it charge wirelessly?" If so, I'm happy regardless of whether it charges my iPhone 12 Pro Max at maximum possible rate of not.

Your mileage will vary.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
At least as of the iPhone X, 7.5W was ok if you weren't using navigation apps.

On long trips, if you use Waze/Google maps/etc, the battery will slowly drain faster than it can charge.

If you use the cars built-in nav, you'll be fine.

When I upgrade from my iPhone 11 pro to the 12, I will want magsafe to get the full 15W. I'll probably use an aftermarket mat.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag

On long trips, if you use Waze/Google maps/etc, the battery will slowly drain faster than it can charge.

When I upgrade from my iPhone 11 pro to the 12, I will want magsafe to get the full 15W. I'll probably use an aftermarket mat.
Using Apple Maps on the iPhone is more power efficient than google/Waze.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Good points.

Personally, I live on an island. A long trip is a trip that can be done with a BEV that has a real world range of under 230 miles at around 50 mph average.

As for Waze, I dislike it. It gives absurd directions and its traffic information is always wrong. Always. So, I'm set. ;)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My general thought is, "Does it charge wirelessly?" If so, I'm happy regardless of whether it charges my iPhone 12 Pro Max at maximum possible rate of not.

Your mileage will vary.
Yes

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

You may be able to slip an aftermarket chargers under the passenger side mat.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
That won’t be necessary. There are USB ports right in front of the charging pad.
Yeah but in most vehicles those ports only supply 5 watts, which is not enough to keep the phone charged while using maps and steaming audio.
Sponsored