David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Had an idea. Buy a cheap MagSafe case from Apple, cut it up, put the encapsulated magnet portion from the flat back under the rubber mat. thats what I’ll be doing once I get an iPhone 13 likely. Waiting for periscope lenses.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
The cup holder is the one thing making the console look cheap and plastiky. I wish it wasn't so prominent or could be hidden.
the scratches On that gloss black will be worse don’t worry. Hate gloss black so much, going to have to have the entire center console xpel’d just to keep the scratches down since the metallic does look nice.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
the scratches On that gloss black will be worse don’t worry. Hate gloss black so much, going to have to have the entire center console xpel’d just to keep the scratches down since the metallic does look nice.
On the exterior I hate flat black because it seems to always turn grey after sun exposure.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
When I made a similar comment to the Jaguar dealer, in addition to it showing finger prints, I was told a Micro Fiber cloth would take care of that. Right...

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
On the exterior I hate flat black because it seems to always turn grey after sun exposure.
At least you can buy some products for that, my 12-year-old car looks brand new with some of the new black restores. Scratches are forever, which is why I’m ceramic coating this thing

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
When I made a similar comment to the Jaguar dealer, in addition to it showing finger prints, I was told a Micro Fiber cloth would take care of that. Right...
If anything the microfiber makes it worse, it creates micro scratches! The plastic is inherently soft

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
At least you can buy some products for that, my 12-year-old car looks brand new with some of the new black restores. Scratches are forever, which is why I’m ceramic coating this thing
What do you use? Everything I use only lasts for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Had an idea. Buy a cheap MagSafe case from Apple, cut it up, put the encapsulated magnet portion from the flat back under the rubber mat. thats what I’ll be doing once I get an iPhone 13 likely. Waiting for periscope lenses.
Actually, I saw a review of a new Belkin case. It appears that the MagSafe magnet is just mounted on a thin, white piece of flexible, rubbery material that easily peels off. I suspect you can figure out where the “sweet spot” is for the induction charger, then use some double-sided tape and call it a day.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Actually, I saw a review of a new Belkin case. It appears that the MagSafe magnet is just mounted on a thin, white piece of flexible, rubbery material that easily peels off. I suspect you can figure out where the “sweet spot” is for the induction charger, then use some double-sided tape and call it a day.
Perfect. Problem solved. where is said Belkin case/ would just have to make sure the phone doesn’t pull up the rubber mat. Probs not getting the phone this year anyways

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So, if you had both an iPhone 12 and an iPhone 11 in the tray at the same time, would adding a magnet cause problems for the iPhone 11?

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
So, if you had both an iPhone 12 and an iPhone 11 in the tray at the same time, would adding a magnet cause problems for the iPhone 11?
I don’t think the main causes problems for any of the phones, I’m not sure what the coil configuration is of the vehicle, it might be a little bit less efficient that way, I probably won’t add unless it’s actually an issue

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Since I don't have an iphone I haven't followed developments, but is it necessary to have the magnet for the iphone 12's to start charging? If not, what difference does it make not having it there?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Since I don't have an iphone I haven't followed developments, but is it necessary to have the magnet for the iphone 12's to start charging? If not, what difference does it make not having it there?
No, the magnet just makes it easier to align the coil and holds it in place. But I don't think either of those will be an issue with the rubber mat.
Sponsored