macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
iPhone XR is Qi compatible. iPhone 12 Pro is not. I don't see iPhone 13 listed, either, but as others claim to have better success with it, perhaps Apple decided to quietly return to standards?

See this post (from prior page in this discussion) and visit the link that Ford provided for verification.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/iphone-qi-wireless-charging.4458/post-180170
If I remove the the rubber pad covering the wireless charging location my iPhone 12pro charges just fine so it seems to be compatible. I tried removing the phone case instead but that did nothing. I have to remove the pad.
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If I remove the the rubber pad covering the wireless charging location my iPhone 12pro charges just fine so it seems to be compatible. I tried removing the phone case instead but that did nothing. I have to remove the pad.
Would a thin layer of felt help After removing rubber pad?

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I found even without the pad, just sitting there in the driveway, my 12 Pro would lose connection within a couple of minutes. My 13 Pro Max charges now every time, all the time.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My 13 Pro Max charges now every time, all the time.
Interesting. I havenā€™t paid the slightest bit if attention to the iPhone 13ā€™s. Do they have the silly MagSafe feature as well?

Most days my 12 ProMax charges decently in the car, but not always snd I rarely leave the car with it fully charged.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
That is very false. All 12 & 13 models are Qi compatible.

Since I've yet to be inside a Mach E yet but have one on the way...mind showing a picture of what it looks like with the MagSafe setup? Do you have it fasten to anything in the car? This is something I may consider doing as well.
I just have an aftermarket magsafe puck sitting on the right side of the pad, plugged into the USB C port there, nothing fancy.

Ford Mustang Mach-E iPhone Qi Wireless Charging 1633006330718

I may get a magsafe puck that has detachable USB, so that I can get a short USB cord, but it really doesn't bother me too much.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Interesting. I havenā€™t paid the slightest bit if attention to the iPhone 13ā€™s. Do they have the silly MagSafe feature as well?

Most days my 12 ProMax charges decently in the car, but not always snd I rarely leave the car with it fully charged.
They do still have MagSafe, but there was some rumor about a very slight change to the MagSafe design. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s real or not, but my MagSafe accessories all still work fine, and I have yet to see the 13 Pro Max lose charging connectivity in the Mach-E regardless of phone orientation. Separately, Iā€™m 100% PAAK and have had great success with that, too.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
They do still have MagSafe, but there was some rumor about a very slight change to the MagSafe design. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s real or not, but my MagSafe accessories all still work fine, and I have yet to see the 13 Pro Max lose charging connectivity in the Mach-E regardless of phone orientation. Separately, Iā€™m 100% PAAK and have had great success with that, too.
Neither mine or my wifeā€™s 13 Pro will charge any longer. The phone indicator lights up like itā€™s charging, but the charging icon on the car screen never lights up and eventually the phone indicator goes off as well. Tried removing the phone case but didnā€™t help. Previous 8 and X were flawless. Sad to see this.

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Neither mine or my wifeā€™s 13 Pro will charge any longer. The phone indicator lights up like itā€™s charging, but the charging icon on the car screen never lights up and eventually the phone indicator goes off as well. Tried removing the phone case but didnā€™t help. Previous 8 and X were flawless. Sad to see this.
I am in the same boat, but with Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ and Samsung Galaxy S21). No phones will work on our wireless chargers these days. Our phones do not even light up and pretend to charge. It has been this way for over a month. I have a dealer service appointment for all kinds of things on Friday, so I am hoping they might be able to fix this. The dealer seems to think that the PaaK update is going to fix it. I highly doubt that is going to be the case, especially since it had worked for the first 5 monts that I had the car. I am just glad that I can finally get my car into the dealer because the dealer service technicians in the Chicago area had all been on strike for a couple of months. Glad I didn't have any major issues, just some random ones, mostly related to usability and software.

@Ford Motor Company - You might want to be looking at this, as there are a number of Mach-E owners facing issues with the wireless charging...

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Thatā€™s strange. Sounds like you might want to head to the dealer on that one to check the pad functionality. My 13 Pro Max under 15.0.2 (latest OS as I type this) still charges fine. In fact, even with CarPlay running, Apple Maps navigating, and Apple Music playing, I still arrive with a higher charge level than I left with.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Thatā€™s strange. Sounds like you might want to head to the dealer on that one to check the pad functionality. My 13 Pro Max under 15.0.2 (latest OS as I type this) still charges fine. In fact, even with CarPlay running, Apple Maps navigating, and Apple Music playing, I still arrive with a higher charge level than I left with.
Yeah, but thatā€™s not going ro happen, at least not quickly. Appointments are three weeks out and Iā€™ve confirmed the 8 and X still work. All devices have 15.0.2.

Knewbrou

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 extended range, RWD, star white, premium MME
Country flag
IPhone 12 Pro stops charging EXCATLY 5 minutes after placing it on mat. Even just sitting in the car without any movement. Can pick it up and place it back down and it charges EXACTLY 5 minutes before stopping again. I mean, to the second. Has to be a software issue or setting with that type of reproducibility.

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
IPhone 12 Pro stops charging EXCATLY 5 minutes after placing it on mat. Even just sitting in the car without any movement. Can pick it up and place it back down and it charges EXACTLY 5 minutes before stopping again. I mean, to the second. Has to be a software issue or setting with that type of reproducibility.
There are comments here stating that the problem is that the iPhone 12 pro is not Qi compatible but that's not true. I have the same phone and was having the same problem but my phone works fine on other Qi wireless chargers. Additionally I found that if you remove the rubber pad from the charging surface in the MME the phone charges just fine so clearly it's not a compatibility issue. Unfortunately that leaves the phone sliding around on the smooth surface thats underneath that rubber mat which is not ideal. Interestingly my old phone (iPhone XR) charges fine with the mat in place so I am not sure what the issue is here. Wireless charging can be finicky in general.

On a separate post I mentioned that I prefer to keep my phone in visual range so I have access to features not available in Car Play. To that end I purchased a mount and then used very strong double stick tape to attach a wireless Magsafe charging puck. This setup works perfectly every time and the phone can be removed and replaced on the mount with one hand since it's only attached magnetically. The charging cable runs behind the big screen and down to the USB-c port below so without too much effort the whole thing looks pretty neat and does the job.

IMG_5557.jpg

WJKramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
iPhone 13 pro (non max) on iOS 15.1 and the charging mat will only charge for about 30sec to a few mins before it loses charging connection. Tried with and without case and little to no difference.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

WJKramer

Threads