Is the ambient light worth it?

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
Had it on my 2017 Audi, and now on the MME. Not a decision point and not worth extra $.
Sponsored

Moxiemoney

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'll be the one to disagree with the others. I like the ambient lighting in the car. It lights up the small storage space below the media center screen, the jockey box, feet, doors, etc... Hard to believe anyone doesn't notice it. I would totally pay for that upgrade in a second. But, as others have said, to each their own. Many here don't seem to care about it, but spend $$$ on spoilers, louvers, etc... things I don't like. Do what makes you happy, not what makes other owners happy!

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Coming from a '22 Lightning that almost no ambient lighting except for the small footwell area in fixed blue light; my new '23 MME has the best ambient lighting - control of colors, brightness level, and many more places that lights up.

I chose red ambient lighting to reduce night time vision issues.

For me, I love ambient lighting - obviously it's relative to what you are used to..

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Hi

I want to buy me a MME and am so excited to finally get one.

There are so many variations of this car. I have decided to choose one with tech pack 2 for the panoramic roof, 360 cam, b&o sound and more. It should have extended range with RWD for maximum range. Exterior color dark matter grey or infinity blue.

I found a few ones but some have ambient light and some not. The ones with ambient are a bit more expensive. Im questioning why ambient light is not in tech pack 2. But I heard ambient light in the MME is not that special and you only have it on the drivers side and not the back seats is this correct?

Is there a possibility to upgrade the MME to ambient light? But that you can control it on the display and dont need an extra control.
I personally like the ambient lighting in my Mach E and Expedition. I say do the math. Yes it’s more expensive, but how much does it add to your monthly payments? If it’s a consideration and doesn’t drive up your payments too much, go for it!

Rayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I have a '23 MME Premium and barely notice the ambient light, even at night. It's really not that bright, is only in the front cabin and a little disappointing. That said, it also wasn't a factor for me in buying the car 🤷‍♀️. I'm gonna be installing aftermarket ambient lighting to enhance it and add in the rear cabin.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The one thing about the ambient lighting is that it adds a cover for the fuse box in the passenger side footwell. Not really worth anything, but it makes that area look cleaner. As others have said the ambient lighting is definitely not a make or break item. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yea sure ambient light is just a cool feature if included but not the reason why I wouldnt buy a MME if it does not have ambient light. Just wondering why this is not included in a tech pack...
It’s really not that cool. Our last few cars had it. Other than the occasional time a kid wants to make everything pink or green, never messed with it.

Honestly kinda forgot about it until I read your post.

The only “neat” thing is that it changes colors with drive mode (red for unbridle).

But if you’re like most people, you end up picking one drive mode you like the best and sticking with it 99% of the time.

Aftermarket won’t be controlled by the screen, but you could add more light (and more colors/color programs) if you like.

Teleks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT Performance Ed, 2014 Fiesta ST
Country flag
There are so many variations of this car.
I think that's quite the overstatement! I'm not really aware of any cars with less options than the Mach-E! But that made me curious, what are actually the options for the different models, now and in the past? It seems like OP is buying a used Mach-E, right?

Right now it seems like the only trim where you actually have options, is the Select. There's the comfort package with heated seats, heated steering wheel and memory seats. All the other trims basically have no options. But in the past there were some options if I'm not mistaken, right? Which is I guess what OP is talking about. Something about technology package 1 & 2, and I think the "360 Active package" was panoramic roof and cameras?

Does someone have a breakdown of this. What those options were and what trims they applied to?

Mike_Hawk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium Extended AWD (Space White)
Country flag
While I am a fan of ambient lighting, I wish there was an option to at least make custom colors or go brighter. The preset colors don't seem to be much of a difference/contrast from each other.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Ask my 6yo daughter and she’s says yes cause I can make the floor pink in the front seat

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
But it will not be controlled from the car displays. Seems to be important to the OP.
If OP is willing to use OEM parts and tinker a little bit with FordPass, the computer will pick it up and control it from the display.

Arsenic17

First Name
Arsenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT 2023 Vapor Blue
Country flag
Be aware the Dark Matter Grey (at least 22' MY) is essentially black with the slightest hint of grey and only visible in certain light conditions. I bought mine from online order and was disappointed the web color did not match the actual.
I agree the order page what a bit misleading. Any time it is cloudy it looks black, but when the sun is out it is fairly stunning and a metallic gray color. I dont have any problems with it, but it is very sunny where I live. You must be in a cloudy place :(

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
The only “neat” thing is that it changes colors with drive mode (red for unbridle).
Mine used to do this, but not anymore. I don't know if there is a setting to enable this now, or if the feature was removed.