MW1515

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I like that the AC button turns the AC compressor on or off but leaves the fan on. I personally don't like the idea of going from AC on to everything off bc eventually it could lead to mold or musty air if you don't let the fan dry out the condensation inside the vents after using the AC.
Sponsored

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Everything is software now. Why not allow users to configure what HVAC On/Off means - [AC only | Fan only | AC & Fan ]? Or even better, give use ability to custom toggle buttons to set various options of our hi tech car? Leap frog Tesla. Its all HTML5 frontend and they should have api for all options already anyways. Too simple?

Reactions: ARK

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Um... my 2022 Premium has an "Off" button. It's not in the temperature setting. It's in the fan setting. If I open the fan setting, at or near the bottom of the fan settings is an "Off" button. Form what I can tell, that completely turns off the AC and the fan.

Y'all don't have that?
So click on fan button, then click Off. 2 clicks

Or, click on HVAC button, click Off. 2 clicks.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

It takes some effort and focus off the road when are you driving since it is a single giant screen and not a set of physical buttons.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It takes some effort and focus off the road when are you driving since it is a single giant screen and not a set of physical buttons.
None of them are physical buttons.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
None of them are physical buttons.
Exactly. It is already more challenging to press a button on a large screen compared to a set of physical buttons, but it is what it is since people like large screens these days.

But now make it so it’s not just finding a button on a large screen, but finding a button on a large screen and going into a submenu to take such exotic actions as system on/off for the HVAC, and we arrive at the Mach-E’s present screen configuration.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Exactly. It is already more challenging to press a button on a large screen compared to a set of physical buttons, but it is what it is since people like large screens these days.

But now make it so it’s not just finding a button on a large screen, but finding a button on a large screen and going into a submenu to take such exotic actions as system on/off for the HVAC, and we arrive at the Mach-E’s present screen configuration.
You're not following. @astronut325 was saying that hitting the fan button on the screen, then Off, is what he does. I pointed out that doing that vs. hitting the button for the HVAC, then Off, is the same 2 pushes.

stealthytolkien

First Name
Pinak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag

If only there was a remappable OFF button on the primary layer of controls, this whole thread wouldn’t exist lol.

The only two ways as of early July 2023:

1. Click fan icon, and turn the physical knob anti clockwise all the way until it shows OFF.

2. Click on the AC flow indicator button (to the right of the physical knob) and click the power button.

The whole air conditioning implementation on that screen is a mess IMHO. There’s no logical symmetry nor user friendliness.

It is what happens when software “enhancements” is an afterthought and half baked.

This is what they did. When you click on the Fan icon on the bottom strip, the rotary dial functions as fan speed controller for 3 seconds before reverting it to being a volume knob. Good idea, but, half baked, because the rotary dial has an integrated button at the center which functions as on/off. And it should on/off what is being controlled by the rotary dial. Meaning if I’m in fan mode, the rotary dial should control the speed starting with 1 to max (not 0 to max) and the center button should switch that fan off (0). That’s where they messed up because even in the fan mode, the center button controls the audio on / off, which is logically incorrect.

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the Mach-E is great, but I really wonder who their a/c control designer is.

They have room for one HVAC button and they decide it should turn a/c on or off while leaving the fan on, instead of cycling the whole system on or off?

Add to this that cycling through the auto modes never turns the system off (just 1-3-2 and back again), and that recirculate seems to disengage anytime you press auto or manually adjust the fan speed, and I gotta wonder who is making these calls.
I think they hire people who use public transportation

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
I like that the AC button turns the AC compressor on or off but leaves the fan on. I personally don't like the idea of going from AC on to everything off bc eventually it could lead to mold or musty air if you don't let the fan dry out the condensation inside the vents after using the AC.
^^^^^
This.

There's a reason that the AC compressor is on most of the time. It reduces condensation.

Although I can understand why Will may not be comfortable with that on, or may not think it's necessary while living in Ireland (my sisters who live there feel the same way about airconditioning). Most homes there do not have it. Most cars sold there didn't have it either until a few years ago.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
If only there was a remappable OFF button on the primary layer of controls, this whole thread wouldn’t exist lol.

The only two ways as of early July 2023:

1. Click fan icon, and turn the physical knob anti clockwise all the way until it shows OFF.
Agreed if you have the latest Sync UI.

Will lives in the EU and they haven't gotten that UI update yet.
Sponsored