Is there a way to keep heat OFF after defrost?

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
So there are a bunch of tips out there to preserve efficiency to just use the seat and steering wheel heaters to stay warm and not rely on the climate control.
That works great for me, except the windows fog up every 2 minutes.
When I turn on the defroster for 5 seconds, and then turn it off, it keeps turns the climate control on auto. So I have to go into the menu and turn it all off again.

Is there any way to just toggle the defrost on and off without modifying any of the other climate control settings? Or a better way to prevent window fog?
I take a lot of very short trips in my car so climate control does pretty much nothing other than waste energy, I'd much rather just use the seat warmer.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
One of my biggest complaints has been that the HVAC system just does whatever the hell it wants to, regardless of user input.
I can be driving in the spring with the windows open and the AC compressor will decide it needs to run when all I want is the fan on low to move some fresh air.
It used to be that with the system on “Auto” the E-Heat would default to on every time the car was started. I got in the habit of switching it off every time I started the car. Magically, it doesn’t do that any more! It now seems to start up in the same state as it was when the car was shut off.
There are several threads about recirculate not staying on.
I’ve just pretty much accepted it at this point and deal with it as best I can.
Sorry for turning your thread into a rant!

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
So there are a bunch of tips out there to preserve efficiency to just use the seat and steering wheel heaters to stay warm and not rely on the climate control.
That works great for me, except the windows fog up every 2 minutes.
When I turn on the defroster for 5 seconds, and then turn it off, it keeps turns the climate control on auto. So I have to go into the menu and turn it all off again.

Is there any way to just toggle the defrost on and off without modifying any of the other climate control settings? Or a better way to prevent window fog?
I take a lot of very short trips in my car so climate control does pretty much nothing other than waste energy, I'd much rather just use the seat warmer.
You can use the "Max Defrost" button next to the headlamp control switch. Just push to turn it on for a bit, and then push again to turn it off.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You can use the "Max Defrost" button next to the headlamp control switch. Just push to turn it on for a bit, and then push again to turn it off.
I missed this one...

OP
OP

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
That's what I do. I hit the max defrost button to turn it off, but it turns leaves the e-heat on and the 'auto' setting on, even though it was previously off before the defrost.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
That's what I do. I hit the max defrost button to turn it off, but it turns leaves the e-heat on and the 'auto' setting on, even though it was previously off before the defrost.
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I'm not sure there's an easy solution to this, ASIDE FROM leaving e-heat on, and setting the temperature to something very low (set it to 60F). That will prevent it from running very hard.