Is this trip possible on a single charge?

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My trip experience falls in line with this advice. Unfortunately, I absolutely do not trust the Ford navigation at this point and only used it for battery preconditioning with Google Maps running on a secondary device for real directions... Gave it a chance and multiple hours of hearing the Ford navigation try to reroute me on a 90+ minute detour every few minutes was evidence enough for me. Didn't feel confident in it after that even after disabling dynamic rerouting. Maybe eventually it will prove reliable enough to not run an alternate navigation in the background "just in case" 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps I'm a lucky one... Ford Nav works almost perfectly for me.
Sponsored

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Perhaps I'm a lucky one... Ford Nav works almost perfectly for me.
It's more of a trust thing I think. In the ~1 year of ownership when I do use the Ford nav system it has "let me down" (i.e., strange routes) just enough to instill a lack of confidence that I can depend on it. There are a few scenarios where I switch over to the Ford nav system and most of the time it's fine but add in a different aesthetic and slightly different UI interaction than the proven (and long used) Google Maps and it's enough to be dissatisfied with the experience. It's also one of the reasons I just can't use Waze despite some of the cool features it has... similar experience and I don't like its routing algorithm (even though it's also a Google product).

In the scenario I described it also might depend on other variables that not everyone deals with in their daily use in their specific region. In my case it was on about a 2-3 hour stretch of the I-5 on a southbound leg of my trip. Ford nav had the highway highlighted (yellow?) which led me to believe it thought there was construction or traffic or something justifying rerouting 90+ minutes (it would jump to 5-15-30-90 minute reroutes every few minutes). Google Maps on the other hand (running at the same time on my phone) kept the original route I had planned. Traffic signs indicated road construction during the week (it was the weekend so no construction) so my take was that Ford nav just didn't have current data. Strangely, on the northbound leg there were brush fires causing traffic delays and both Ford nav and Google Maps were rerouting me similarly... My conclusion is that Google Maps is more reliable with live data and that leads me to be hesitant to trust Ford Nav.

agdad

Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
Piece of cake.......enjoy the trip!

MotownMachdoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
So long story short my 94 year old grandfather is having a birthday dinner in Dwight IL. I need to drive my MME from Washington IL to Dwight IL then to Cullom IL and then back to Washington IL.

This trip is just over three hours and miles traveled will be right around 166 if everything goes according to plan.

So if you haven't already figured it out I'm new to this. So my question is will my MME GTPE travel this route on a singe charge with 2-4 passengers and of course doing normal car stuff like running the AC, listening to the radio, charging devices, ect?

Here is the route I plan on taking. Keep in mind charging stations are very scarce in Central Illinois. There is one in Pontiac IL but PlugShare reviews are not favorable.

So do you guys think I can make it?
Untitled8.png
Yes you can. Agree with all. Practice using charging stations before the trip. EA is the easiest with plug and charge. Charge point works if you have their app set up. I have used EA at Walmarts lots as well as at Meijer lots. The Navigation will guide you to one at the appropriate state of charge. In the spring, summer and fall you should make the trip starting with 100% charge and preconditioning without recharging on the trip.

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Thanks everyone I appreciate the input and information you provided. I do need to learn how to use ABRP. From what I've been reading it is the best for planning long range trips for EVs.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna fucking go for it! I'm nervous and excited at the same time haha either way it should be an adventure!!
You could also plug in your mobile charger while you are there-won't get much but every little bit helps.

OP
OP
bbhaag

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Just a quick update. Everything went fine and we made it back with plenty of range. According to read out on the display we rolled into the driveway with 38 miles of range left.

I even took some family members for a drive which I did not account for and of course that included some spirited 0-60 runs. I didn't buy the GTPE just to look at it and not show it off when I can! haha :D Overall I am really impressed with the MME.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
I strongly recommend using the built-in Ford navigation function.

I have several loooong trips under my belt in the Mach E, including a just-completed 10,515 mile coast-to-coast and back trip. I found the built-in Ford navigation really worthwhile once the driver learns to use it to its full capabilities, and therefore better for long drives than any smartphone nav apps we might already be used to.
Good point about the strengths of the Ford nav. ABRP, if you use a bluetooth dongle so it can sense battery percent, should be pretty good too, but I haven't done both head-to-head. Ford will be better, but I like how you can "nudge" ABRP by putting in a particular efficiency.

Ford is *terrible* at showing you the status of a charger you might be coming to. Realtime use is buried in the menu. ABRP does no better, it doesn't have realtime at all!

I really dislike how Ford doesn't have "find charger along route". Google's better at that, but will also send me to incompatible Tesla Superchargers. Boo.

Overnight, it looks like the best path is using PlugShare to find L2's within a short walk of places to sleep, and checking the rating / price / public-private.

If I was doing an actual long roadtrip, I'd have a (human) copilot who would be using the charge company's app and plugshare and monitoring every so often. They'd make sure of a backup fast charger within range, and it's got recent plugshare checkins, and the charge network's app says it's good, and be monitoring range estimates across multiple info sources (GOM v Ford v OBD2).

If I was solo, I'd plan my next stop at a given stop, work out the speed I should drive, because I'm sitting around bored for 30 minutes. Probably buy a mount for my android tablet. Even though the front display can switch between different apps and Plugshare, EVGo, EA have Android Auto apps (super cool!), I would want the lower distraction route of just keeping up the use status of my intended target.

Geeze this is a lot of tech! Waiting (im) patiently for my Tesla Supercharge adapter, kinda looking forward to planning a summer road trip - next summer -

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Just a quick update. Everything went fine and we made it back with plenty of range. According to read out on the display we rolled into the driveway with 38 miles of range left.

I even took some family members for a drive which I did not account for and of course that included some spirited 0-60 runs. I didn't buy the GTPE just to look at it and not show it off when I can! haha :D Overall I am really impressed with the MME.
Congrats! Once you overcome the range anxiety problem, especially if you can charge at home overnight, it all feels so much better owning an EV.

OP
OP
bbhaag

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Congrats! Once you overcome the range anxiety problem, especially if you can charge at home overnight, it all feels so much better owning an EV.
Thanks! I'm working my way into doing more road trips but at a gradual pace. This wasn't my first one. My first one was much longer but this was the first road trip I took without having any infrastructure in place for refueling.

It's safe to say I'm being slow and methodical with this. I'm new to EVs and with 4K miles on MME in a little over 7 months I'm taking the "baby steps" approach to all of this. 😊

Last edited:

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Thanks! I'm working my way into doing more road trips but at a gradual pace. This wasn't my first one. My first one was much longer but this was the first road trip I took without having any infrastructure in place for refueling.

It's safe to say I'm being slow and methodical with this. I'm new to EVs and with 4K miles on MME in a little over 7 months I'm taking the "baby steps" approach to all of this. 😊
The Summer/Winter range issue is a real issue, but if you've had the car for 7 months and live in Illinois, I imagine you're well aware of that. It's still strange for me to be getting 225 in the Summer and 175 in the Winter.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Good point about the strengths of the Ford nav. ABRP, if you use a bluetooth dongle so it can sense battery percent, should be pretty good too, but I haven't done both head-to-head. Ford will be better, but I like how you can "nudge" ABRP by putting in a particular efficiency.

Ford is *terrible* at showing you the status of a charger you might be coming to. Realtime use is buried in the menu. ABRP does no better, it doesn't have realtime at all!

I really dislike how Ford doesn't have "find charger along route". Google's better at that, but will also send me to incompatible Tesla Superchargers. Boo.

Overnight, it looks like the best path is using PlugShare to find L2's within a short walk of places to sleep, and checking the rating / price / public-private.

If I was doing an actual long roadtrip, I'd have a (human) copilot who would be using the charge company's app and plugshare and monitoring every so often. They'd make sure of a backup fast charger within range, and it's got recent plugshare checkins, and the charge network's app says it's good, and be monitoring range estimates across multiple info sources (GOM v Ford v OBD2).

If I was solo, I'd plan my next stop at a given stop, work out the speed I should drive, because I'm sitting around bored for 30 minutes. Probably buy a mount for my android tablet. Even though the front display can switch between different apps and Plugshare, EVGo, EA have Android Auto apps (super cool!), I would want the lower distraction route of just keeping up the use status of my intended target.

Geeze this is a lot of tech! Waiting (im) patiently for my Tesla Supercharge adapter, kinda looking forward to planning a summer road trip - next summer -
"If I was doing an actual long roadtrip, I'd have a (human) copilot who would be using the charge company's app and plugshare and monitoring every so often." That's pretty much my method on a long trip with a copilot.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Most, if not all, of the overheating stories that I've seen are instances in which the owner is using the included mobile charger daily, or as their sole charging solution. The Ford mobile charger was not designed for that.
I've used my (included 2021) mobile charger exclusively for 27+k miles on my MME, as well as 18+k electric miles on my wife's BMW 330e. no overheating problems.

charger is inside garage... summer temps inside get up to 90F or so, but generally cool off to 70 at night.

The OP should bring mobile on the trip, and charge the MME on L1 if there is an outlet available at Grampa's.... I don't think the extra range will be needed, but it would give complete peace of mind for the return trip!

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
The OP should bring mobile on the trip, and charge the MME on L1 if there is an outlet available at Grampa's.... I don't think the extra range will be needed, but it would give complete peace of mind for the return trip!
At 4 miles of range per hour charging on L1, I have not convinced myself it would ever be worth the time. A couple of days, sure.

Compared to finding the closest L2 and getting a ride of lyft there and back. Or asking grampa if they have an electric dryer outlet :)

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The GT Performance is rated for 260 miles (but that's from 100% state of charge to 0%) and that's also in "mixed" (city + highway) driving.

But if I read your post correctly ... the entire trip is only 200 miles. That's well within the range of the car assuming no adverse weather (extreme cold, extreme headwinds, etc.).

Use the built-in Ford Navigation to do the trip. If you are worried ... don't speed (if the speed limit sign says "70" then do 70 ... not 80, not 75. Once the trip is in the car, on the maps screen you can tap the tools icon in the lower-left corner of the map then tap "trip summary", then tap "details" and it will tell you what it thinks teh state of charge will be when you arrive at your destination. I routinely beat that estimate by a few percent on every trip If I'm a good boy and obey the speed limit.

Also... the Ford Nav trip planning will insert charging stops if it thinks you will need them.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
At 4 miles of range per hour charging on L1, I have not convinced myself it would ever be worth the time. A couple of days, sure.

Compared to finding the closest L2 and getting a ride of lyft there and back. Or asking grampa if they have an electric dryer outlet :)
getting 30-40 miles overnight on L1 while you sleep is 'worth it' to me just from the peace of mind factor. I mean.... why NOT if there is an outlet handy and you bring your mobile charger with you? I'd rather grab a few miles overnight to get back with plenty of spare range than clut it close and maybe pay $.40/ kwhr at a highway side DCFC.
Sponsored