It Bit Me Like a Snake - Stop Safely Message!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
OP
OP
Calipack

Calipack

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.belessdickish.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, Lamborghinis C653L, C452, C230
Country flag
It's complicated, but see the ridiculously awesome first post here from @DevSecOps , and scroll down to the section headed "Revised Part Numbers" https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ers-biggest-fear-facts-and-info-thread.18143/
Revised Part numbers:

NK4Z-10C666-A is for RWD and it replaces LK9Z-10C666-B and LK9Z-10C666-C
NK4Z-10C666-C fits both the AWD and the GT and it replaces LK9Z-10C666-A and NK4Z-10C666-B.
Got it. Thanks.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know it's too late now but there's an entire thread dedicated to this that I haven't seen linked here yet. There's a recommended actions section that has this recommendation and many more. Anyone stumbling across this thread might want to read it over.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ers-biggest-fear-facts-and-info-thread.18143/
It is sad that when we prepare for a trip we need to know all this stuff because there is a good chance it may happen. Tow instruction, charger, jump battery it is like I am a kid driving my 39 again which is bound to break down. Really if you think about it is a bit ridiculous for a car of this time and this cost. If I was ford I be a bit embarrassed at this stage. Guess I get embarrassed easier than them. Seems the parts are now readily available as I waited 4 months for mine and ended up with a original A part when they knew a new one was on the way.

Looks likes things are looking up it is no longer a huge wait time and hopefully not a under designed part. Becoming a bit of a joke actually. What are the chances like 0.5% ;) whatever the contacts were sticking from day on mine. Had to buy a obd2 as no one else was feeding me any info back then appears that has changed also. We fixed it with software April 2021, we fixed it with a new 12V Dec 2021, we fixed it with an original HVJB April 2022 and the saga continues. Appears we have an undependable vehicle with a under designed part that software will warn you earlier about so you can drive the drive of shame to the closes dealer if you are lucky enough to receive the recall OTA in time. What a cluster. Getting to be a little too much.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
It is sad that when we prepare for a trip we need to know all this stuff because there is a good chance it may happen. Tow instruction, charger, jump battery it is like I am a kid driving my 39 again which is bound to break down. Really if you think about it is a bit ridiculous for a car of this time and this cost. If I was ford I be a bit embarrassed at this stage. Guess I get embarrassed easier than them. Seems the parts are now readily available as I waited 4 months for mine and ended up with a original A part when they knew a new one was on the way.

Looks likes things are looking up it is no longer a huge wait time and hopefully not a under designed part. Becoming a bit of a joke actually. What are the chances like 0.5% ;) whatever the contacts were sticking from day on mine. Had to buy a obd2 as no one else was feeding me any info back then appears that has changed also. We fixed it with software April 2021, we fixed it with a new 12V Dec 2021, we fixed it with an original HVJB April 2022 and the saga continues. Appears we have an undependable vehicle with a under designed part that software will warn you earlier about so you can drive the drive of shame to the closes dealer if you are lucky enough to receive the recall OTA in time. What a cluster. Getting to be a little too much.
The HVBJB issue is obviously a huge problem, I just went through the replacement myself.

I think saying that people have to learn about the car is just something people should learn about any car they're driving. EVs are different beasts and people need to learn how to tow them compared to ICE cars. Ford could have done it better, but you should definitely familiarize yourself with any car you're driving, that isn't inherent to Ford.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Since you quoted me I'll bite ...

I agree in part and here's why. While HVBJB failure is definitely a serious issue, some of the things that we just "knew" from drivers education or from our grandparents teaching us how to drive when we were 12 years old, don't apply to this car. Towing a car was never a difficult thing. There wasn't a "tow mode" and there wasn't special places to hook up. Just like we didn't need to understand how to use a "smart phone" in the 90s because you would just pick up the house phone and punch in some numbers.

So yes, we do have the HVBJB issue lingering, and we even have a confirmed case of welding failure (SSN) after the recall was applied. So there's obviously issues there. But the bigger point is that it's a "smart car" and we kinda have to re-train ourselves to do things differently than we did over the last few decades. As @Neil4Real said, familiarize ourselves with this car. Remember when Tesla's first hit the roads, no tow driver would touch them with a 10' pole because they couldn't figure it out. EV's are still relatively new and with time I think it'll be second nature like ICE has been for years.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since you quoted me I'll bite ...

I agree in part and here's why. While HVBJB failure is definitely a serious issue, some of the things that we just "knew" from drivers education or from our grandparents teaching us how to drive when we were 12 years old, don't apply to this car. Towing a car was never a difficult thing. There wasn't a "tow mode" and there wasn't special places to hook up. Just like we didn't need to understand how to use a "smart phone" in the 90s because you would just pick up the house phone and punch in some numbers.

So yes, we do have the HVBJB issue lingering, and we even have a confirmed case of welding failure (SSN) after the recall was applied. So there's obviously issues there. But the bigger point is that it's a "smart car" and we kinda have to re-train ourselves to do things differently that we did over the last few decades. Remember when Tesla's first hit the roads, no tow driver would touch them with a 10' pole because they couldn't figure it out. EV's are still relatively new and with time I think it'll be second nature like ICE has been for years.
First time after that it was rescued with a 12V charger (Feb 2021). We knew about tow mode was -28C and needed a space heater in the cab to warm up the monitor, dragged it up backward by the wheels no problems or lasting repercussions that I have noticed. Think we are too late to learn about these new ones? The guys here have done a sobdmc and a hvjb box and have been good. Appears I am their training vehicle.

Ford Mustang Mach-E It Bit Me Like a Snake - Stop Safely Message! tow

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
Remember when Tesla's first hit the roads, no tow driver would touch them with a 10' pole because they couldn't figure it out. EV's are still relatively new and with time I think it'll be second nature like ICE has been for years.
To emphasize this, when my car was a few weeks in my possession I got a screw in a tire. One of the big tire shops here wouldn’t touch my MME for fear of damaging the battery. A little mom’n’pop tire shop went right after it. They saw the lift point arrows and everything. Anyhow, once everyone is up to speed on this car, things will relax. 😊🐩

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To emphasize this, when my car was a few weeks in my possession I got a screw in a tire. One of the big tire shops here wouldn’t touch my MME for fear of damaging the battery. A little mom’n’pop tire shop went right after it. They saw the lift point arrows and everything. Anyhow, once everyone is up to speed on this car, things will relax. 😊🐩
We need to learn them. The first thing with your brand new vehicle is you need to learn how to tow it. Then rip panels off to charge the 12V. Followed by drilling access ports so you can access the 12V without ripping panels off. When people buy a new vehicle they should not need to learn how to recondition a 12V battery but with this one it appears you do (big thread here). There is software now that takes care of the defective contacts that are suppose to do that for you; we are learning. I know the dealer is not my problem or the ones that need to learn. No end in sight for a HVJB and contacts that appear just do not work and after a year and a half are still not replaced with something that does. Hard to have trust in a vehicle like that.

Nice to hear there is a big inventory of HVJB gives hope at least. Guess maybe I need to get stranded for the fourth time before I can relax? This is a known issue now and is not something new owners should have to learn. No GT required here just driving it like a Mustang which should be no probs. Contacts do not like the cold either it appears hoping they do next winter with this new A part. I can not say I am 100% sure that it is fixed which is a bit of a bummer. Third winter here we come.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I have been told that Ford Roadside only tows up to 35 miles, even if it is because their car took a turd due to Ford's defective engineering. I've since learned that good car insurance generally has better towing limits and probably better quality companies they bid out to, compared with Ford's quality help.
Geico has a 20 mile limit. Also why would you buy this service from insurance if FORD covers it.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Yeah. That was what Ford Roadside wanted to tow the car 1.3 miles. The quoted price to tow it to the dealer near my home was $1,180 plus $125. Roadside assistance may be included from Ford, but towing is extra, apparently.

This is from fords website
HOW DO I CLAIM A REFUND WITH ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE?

Roadside Assistance is included during the first five years or 60,000 miles from your vehicle's Warranty Start Date and with most Ford Protect Extended Service Plans. If you need to arrange roadside services on your own, Ford Motor Company will reimburse a reasonable amount for towing to the nearest dealership within 35 miles.

To request a refund, submit your original receipts and a copy of the repair order to:

Ford Roadside Assistance
Claims Reimbursement
P.O. Box 9145
Medford, MA 02155

FAX: 614 386-3176

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Geico has a 20 mile limit. Also why would you buy this service from insurance if FORD covers it.
My insurance company towed my car from NC to VA, over 4 hours of driving. No charge. (It was not my MME.) That's why I have it.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
My insurance company towed my car from NC to VA, over 4 hours of driving. No charge. (It was not my MME.) That's why I have it.
How much they charge for roadside assistance?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Spitfire

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
After about a thousand mile road trip we planned our last charge for the last leg home. We pulled into an Electrify America charging station without any issues. We hooked up to the charger, still no issues. The charge authorized and then reported a connection error. That was it. When I returned to the car and turned it on, the Stop Safely message appeared and the car would not start.

Ford Roadside assistance wanted 125.00 to send a tow truck. My insurance covered the tow for no charge, but they did have to send two different trucks. The first truck was a flatbed and the driver could not put the car in neutral. The second tow truck put the car on a dolly and towed it to the nearest Ford Dealer.

After one day, the Ford dealer is unable to tell us what is wrong, how they will proceed, or what to expect going forward.

The car is a 2022 MME GT. This happened at 5700 miles. Up to the point of the error message, there were no indications of any issues.
This scares me as I am getting ready to drive my 2022 MME GT from NJ to Florida! I did just have the software update done at my local Ford Dealer, so I am hoping this doesn’t happen. I did a 700 mile day trip early on and all was good. To date, I have had zero issues with my car and have about 7k miles on it (knocking on wood), but reading issues like yours brings large concern for the future. Thank you for sharing.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This scares me as I am getting ready to drive my 2022 MME GT from NJ to Florida! I did just have the software update done at my local Ford Dealer, so I am hoping this doesn’t happen. I did a 700 mile day trip early on and all was good. To date, I have had zero issues with my car and have about 7k miles on it (knocking on wood), but reading issues like yours brings large concern for the future. Thank you for sharing.
Use the knowledge you have gained here to be prepared, so you know what to do if it happens. And then don't worry about it. Just drive like normal and have a good time. It's a great car and the failure rate is very low.
Sponsored