Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ok... I have an idea for next year’s MME. Is it possible to add a LVB monitor that would send a signal to the car to wake up and charge the LVB when it get to x.x volts? Other OEMs have this figured out, must copy them.
I think it's already supposed to do this. My supposition is part of the problem is that isn't happening.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How about inside the cover with the terminals to open the hood? Is inside there magnetic? Or even a worst case you could probably make it stick to the end of the cables themselves.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Jump Start Guide in Owner Manual IMG_6043

Mostly plastic but I'm guessing some gorilla tape could hold a couple of 9v batteries in there. Someone else will have to check as Marlin's still in the hospital.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I think it's already supposed to do this. My supposition is part of the problem is that isn't happening.
We know that the HVB is supposed to charge the LVB, but I don't think any details have been released about when that actually occurs. It's possible that it's supposed to sense when the LVB reaches a certain voltage to initiate charging, but it's also possible that it's a simpler system that's just based a timed schedule. For example, my Outlander PHEV just charges the LVB at 2pm every day. Under normal circumstances, charging once a day should be plenty.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Jump Start Guide in Owner Manual IMG_6043

Mostly plastic but I'm guessing some gorilla tape could hold a couple of 9v batteries in there. Someone else will have to check as Marlin's still in the hospital.
Thanks for all of the troubleshooting effort you've had to endure for the rest of us. And get well soon Marlin, we're all pulling for you! Hopefully the need to squirrel away 9 V batteries will be a distant memory once this gets fixed.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
I haven't left this Forum. Still read it everyday. My Mach is 30 days out and will be here.
All this dead battery stuff must be corrected soon. As I look at this posted photo I
can see the positive cable is somewhat a large gauge. If it were to ONLY open the
frunk this would be overkill. Only a small gauge wire would operate a relay to open.
My guess (a guess) it is to charge the 12 volt battery. Does anyone have a wiring
diagram of the car or is it not out yet ? Again just a guess.
IMG_6043.jpeg

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I can think of a few . . . they seem pretty small gauge wire (probably all that is necessary for the frunk popping, but would need to be heavier to actually do a jump, if they were direct contact to the battery, would need better insulated to avoid a short, they are not "live" unless the 12V battery is dead (they won't do anything if a thief tries to break into your Mach E without the 12V being dead), and I am sure other reasons I have not thought of.

The bigger question for me is one that @ChasingCoral posed . . . once you are in the frunk, easier access to the positive terminal jumper would have been smart with a small access panel rather than removing that entire big piece of plastic.
I had my first experience with this today and it certainly wasn't very intuitive or easy to snap off the covers. Why the world didn't Ford just put a simple little access door??

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I had my first experience with this today and it certainly wasn't very intuitive or easy to snap off the covers. Why the world didn't Ford just put a simple little access door??
Did your LVB battery die already? How?

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Agreed. As someone who had to do this multiple times, “jumping” the frunk is the super easy part. Pulling off the top and drivers trim panels is the hard part (and I loose a fastener each time...).

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Because they didn't think it would ever be needed. I would guess that they're rethinking that decision at this point.

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Why don't people just call their dealer. If mine arrives with this
problem I am going to call every time it happens. Maybe they
will get tired of home service calls and fix it correctly

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
Did your LVB battery die already? How?
Yes, It was completely dead but I was able to open the door because it wasn't completely closed so I don't know what happened. I'm glad I didn't have to pop off the access panel to get to the frunk but it was not fun pulling up all those plastic panels. I had to call roadside assistance to help give me a jump and he had no idea what to do either but as soon as he was finally able to put the cables on the terminal it started right up with no errors or notifications. My car with built December 16th and it spent time at Speedway so not sure if this is a problem or if it was just a one time thing. I wouldn't think the battery should run down completely.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
WARNING: COMPLETE SPECULATIVE GUESS FOLLOWS

it's likely due to the size (gauge) of the wires and the current load expected in that scenario.
And they probably specified the smaller gauge wires to reduce weight in order to meet some specific mileage requirement.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I can't think of a single feature talked about more on this forum than jump starting the 12v battery

Ford has issued a fix for the discharging issue, and the car comes with 60k miles of roadside assistance. You really shouldn't need to worry about stashing batteries in the bumper

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can't think of a single feature talked about more on this forum than jump starting the 12v battery

Ford has issued a fix for the discharging issue, and the car comes with 60k miles of roadside assistance. You really shouldn't need to worry about stashing batteries in the bumper
Some like to carry a jump pack (a lot of EV drivers from past forums, other models, 12V discharge has been very common across many EVs). If that is the case, you need be able to get into the frunk (batteries in the bumper, or a pull cord, or a passerby with jump cords).

If you prefer to wait for roadside service, that is fine, it is just a different approach.
Sponsored

Last edited: