L button on shifter

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Question: does your gear shifter spin all the way in a circle and counter clockwise as well? Mine spins round and round even after its in D
My car went into the shop for 9’weeks—long story. And I swear the 8 days I had it before that it didn’t spin round and round!
Yes. That’s normal.
Sponsored

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Question: does your gear shifter spin all the way in a circle and counter clockwise as well? Mine spins round and round even after its in D
My car went into the shop for 9’weeks—long story. And I swear the 8 days I had it before that it didn’t spin round and round!
If you look in the owners manual, it does say in there that the knob WILL spin past D an R but the position indicator will stay at D or P

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I read in an interview with someone from Ford (I believe the engineering lead) that it was a deliberate design choice, and the reasoning he gave made sense.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I read in an interview with someone from Ford (I believe the engineering lead) that it was a deliberate design choice, and the reasoning he gave made sense.
Thats not the kind of thing that would have been an accident. It‘s designed to be able to put itself into park if you forget when you turn it off or try to get out. I don’t see how it could do that if there were specific detents on the shifter for each position.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
As far as I know, all Mach E shifters spin as you described. My 2018 Expedition stops at Park and Drive, but not my Mach E. I wish it did!

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats not the kind of thing that would have been an accident. It‘s designed to be able to put itself into park if you forget when you turn it off or try to get out. I don’t see how it could do that if there were specific detents on the shifter for each position.
Which is odd since my Expedition does exactly as you described. Since it’s an electronic knob, no matter what position it’s in, once you stop and shut off the vehicle, it automatically goes into Park.

It doesn’t physically turn the knob into Park, but when you restart the vehicle, it’s locked into the Park position and you can’t further turn it counter clockwise. There must be a secondary lock mechanism under the knob.

I wonder if it has to do with the automatic parking feature? In the Expedition you have to manually shift into R and D when prompted, but the Mach E automatically shifts for you. We just have to hold the P button while it does all the work! Just a thought. ?‍♂

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Which is odd since my Expedition does exactly as you described. Since it’s an electronic knob, no matter what position it’s in, once you stop and shut off the vehicle, it automatically goes into Park.

It doesn’t physically turn the knob into Park, but when you restart the vehicle, it’s locked into the Park position and you can’t further turn it counter clockwise. There must be a secondary lock mechanism under the knob.
This is the same on the Mach-E.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is the same on the Mach-E.
Correct, although in the Expedition, the knob stops at the Drive and Park positions. The Mach E knob continues to rotate past those settings.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, they all spin.

Wardmoranfamily

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang Mach e
Occupation
Administration
Country flag
New issue: I drove it after this error message appeared, plugged it in when I got home and it won’t take a charge now!
back to the dealership tomorrow....:

Ford Mustang Mach-E L button on shifter 9589ECE1-D5DC-45CA-A6EE-27A61CCC8092

uncle_0gre

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 Mach 1 428 CJ
Country flag
How does the L mode work when driving down long long descents?
In a traditional ice vehicle you can down shift to 3 or 2 or what ever your next gear is and you can drive down a long mountain pass without having to touch the brakes.

I’m curious if the regen and L setting will kinda operate the same way?
Sponsored