Lighted Pony Project (back it!)

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
My apologies for the false alarm, but running the wire to the BCM is really not that big of a deal... especially if you just do that from the start. I think the most difficult part is finding the right wire in that bundle while seemingly standing on your head.

If anyone is on the fence about running to the BCM, just DO IT.

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
My apologies for the false alarm, but running the wire to the BCM is really not that big of a deal... especially if you just do that from the start. I think the most difficult part is finding the right wire in that bundle while seemingly standing on your head.

If anyone is on the fence about running to the BCM, just DO IT.
I agree...it took a little more sweat and some painful hand angles to get the wire through, but it wasn't too terrible in retrospect. My biggest fail was using one of the provided blue taps for the BCM and it was too loose to make a connection. Use the red (slightly smaller) one!

JGuske23

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD extended range
Occupation
Market manager
Country flag
Looks great. How was the install on it? Did you go with the always on option or through the firewall?
Through the firewall, took a couple hours, pretty painless honestly, spent more time looking for something to poke through the firewall as my wife has gotten rid of all the old metal coat hangers apparently. Instructions were clear and easy enough to follow

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm not sure if folks are making a new hole or trying to feed it alongside the existing wire bundle. I made a new hole.

This might get a few laughs, but I used a t-handle tire plug repair tool with my wire taped to it. I'm also 6'6", so I could reach and touch the firewall without much of an issue from the outside.

Super easy to make a hole and pull the wire through on the left side of the wire bundle.

I hope this helps someone.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.51.18 AM

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
I'm not sure if folks are making a new hole or trying to feed it alongside the existing wire bundle. I made a new hole.

This might get a few laughs, but I used a t-handle tire plug repair tool with my wire taped to it. I'm also 6'6", so I could reach and touch the firewall without much of an issue from the outside.

Super easy to make a hole and pull the wire through on the left side of the wire bundle.

I hope this helps someone.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.51.18 AM
Thanks for your suggestion. @supared mentioned he was going to use try the tool below at some point. I figured either would be good to get through the firewall.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Lighted Pony Project (back it!) 2BAADE10-32E3-4AFB-813D-CEA07BE0A96B

adamtbest

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on my Mustang Mach E Select AWD on order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Question. I ordered the light up pony. My Mach e select hasn’t been delivered yet. What if I just tie into the white wire? The pony stays on 15 minutes extra. After the lights are off. If I go through the BCM everything goes off at once? Is that the only difference?

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
Question. I ordered the light up pony. My Mach e select hasn’t been delivered yet. What if I just tie into the white wire? The pony stays on 15 minutes extra. After the lights are off. If I go through the BCM everything goes off at once? Is that the only difference?
I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about it as you should have the green wire with the orange stripe as you should have the low series lights. From my understanding the high series lights were used in the earlier builds. I know mine has it as I purchased a cancelled order in April 2021. If you do have to choose between always on or BCM keep in mind the pony will stay on whenever charging if you go with the always on option. The 15 minute on after wasn’t a big deal to me, but the pony staying on while charging has convinced me to go through the BCM when I get mine.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
Is anyone worried about 12v battery draining risk, when using the always on option?

If the pony stays on for 15 extra minutes, even when not charging, how many times could consecutively turn your car off (with the pony staying on for 15 mins each time) before you drain the 12v?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I'm definitely not an auto electrician!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about it as you should have the green wire with the orange stripe as you should have the low series lights. From my understanding the high series lights were used in the earlier builds. I know mine has it as I purchased a cancelled order in April 2021. If you do have to choose between always on or BCM keep in mind the pony will stay on whenever charging if you go with the always on option. The 15 minute on after wasn’t a big deal to me, but the pony staying on while charging has convinced me to go through the BCM when I get mine.
I think we've determined that the headlight version is not related to build date. The high series is on Premiums and GTs. The low series is on Select and CA Route 1.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Is anyone worried about 12v battery draining risk, when using the always on option?

If the pony stays on for 15 extra minutes, even when not charging, how many times could consecutively turn your car off (with the pony staying on for 15 mins each time) before you drain the 12v?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I'm definitely not an auto electrician!
I don't think it is likely to cause much of a problem/drain the 12V battery. It is honestly a preference thing. Easier to attach to the white wire and be done, but not 2x more difficult to run to the BCM.

If you are like me, you keep thinking over the whole hassle of running the wire and try to justify the 15-minute extra on time as an acceptable trade-off. Again, if you are like me, for the amount of time you are wondering about it, you could have just run the wire.

You have the frunk out, just go for it! Routing the wire is nothing. Getting it through the grommet was nothing (for me). Standing on my head and finding the right wire in the bundle under the passenger glove box was the biggest hassle. And by hassle, I mean it took me a minute to find it and put the tap on.

I don't know the circuitry design used, but I can see future versions having a lower trigger voltage (what the BCM wire does). If it were designed to trigger at 5V, it would be a headlight tap only. Maybe that improvement gets made on newer versions.

ValentinoRossi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Premium AWD ER (10/21 build)
Country flag
Have all the 1st place been sent out yet? I ask because I havent received mine. Thanks.

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
How does one purchase this now? seems the kickstarter is closed

Sorry if I missed this on the first post