Lighted Pony Project (back it!)

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
Both the red and white need power. I think both were tied together and crimped in the diode on mine.
I just find it weird that it came this way. Is there a change is circuit board design or something that doesn't require both to be used? The pony lights up just fine without the red wire
Sponsored

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I just find it weird that it came this way. Is there a change is circuit board design or something that doesn't require both to be used? The pony lights up just fine without the red wire
Maybe. Mine was an early 4k model and it definitely needed both. Maybe later versions had a change to eliminate the white wire and John still had three wire harness to use up. If it lights up without the white, then go for it.

Jake Blues

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER RWD Space White
Country flag
Hey, looking for some input. I installed the Pony I bought from a user here and sometimes after I shut my car off it will stay on for 10-20 minutes and other times it will stay on for an hour plus. I got home a little over an hour ago, and I just checked and it's still on. Any idea what's going on?

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you opt for the always on wiring? If so, it stays on 15 mins after you turn off car and I believe it also stays in whenever the car is charging. Someone else can verify the latter statement.

Jake Blues

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER RWD Space White
Country flag
Did you opt for the always on wiring? If so, it stays on 15 mins after you turn off car and I believe it also stays in whenever the car is charging. Someone else can verify the latter statement.
Yes, I wired it for always on. Just checked and it's still on over 2 hours later, so I guess that means it will stay on while the car is charging. I'm a bit confused, though. Doesn't this draw from the 12v battery? Not sure why the lithium-ion battery charging would make it stay on.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For those of you who had the zener diode already installed on your pony when it came, were both the white wire and red wire tied into the diode? Mine new pony just looks like the white wire is tied into it. In the picture below you can see a tiny bit of the red wire peaking out of the grey sheathing. The white wire is fully connected to the diode.

Does this mean I don't need to attach the red wire to anything anymore? The white will just run to the firewall/bcm and the black to the headlight harness?

PXL_20230424_185004514.jpg
Just bumping this up. Did anyone else out there receive a pony with only one wire connected to the zener diode? This is cut in a way to suggest only a 2 wire installation, given the red wire is basically fully snipped down to the grey sheathing. Thanks.

Ghost Mach-E

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E Premium Awd -VW ID4 Pro s Awd
Country flag
I tried 2 different versions of the lighted pony. 1 worked for 2 months before a piece fell off it. 2nd just died after 4 months. Just stopped lighting up. Im over it. Become a waste of time $$$. Proceed with caution

sgriffin130

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Red Mach E- C/T Pkg, '23 Escape PHEV/Prem Pkg
Occupation
Dentist(retired)
Country flag
Hey, looking for some input. I installed the Pony I bought from a user here and sometimes after I shut my car off it will stay on for 10-20 minutes and other times it will stay on for an hour plus. I got home a little over an hour ago, and I just checked and it's still on. Any idea what's going on?
Don't worry. As some of us have experienced, it will burn out eventually anyway(even with the diode installed) ;)

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I bought an unused kit from another member here several months ago and installed it back in January, but couldn't get it to work at that time; exchanged a few emails with John, got busy with other things, and only now just finding some time to deal with this again to find the project was shut down. Which sucks a little bit. But I'm hopeful I can still get a little help here. This is my last shot at troubleshooting, otherwise I just take the hit of having an expensive and unnecessary front pony logo replacement ...

Does anyone happen to have copies of the installation instructions they can DM me? I want to go back and verify all the connections one more time. I have a version with the pre-installed Zener. I'm also quoting the posts below because:
(1) my kit has the red wire pre-connected to the Zener, not the white wire in the picture. Does anyone know if that really makes a difference?
(2) I also seem to recall reading installation instructions drafted at the beginning of the project indicating that both the red and white wires were connected to something. Does anyone else recall that or have information on this point? I've tested bypassing the Zener entirely because maybe my car's voltage is such that it doesn't require the Zener, but it didn't make a difference. Now wondering if there is something quirky that I will need to connect the white wire to something, but don't recall exactly what that was.

Cheers!

For those of you who had the zener diode already installed on your pony when it came, were both the white wire and red wire tied into the diode? Mine new pony just looks like the white wire is tied into it. In the picture below you can see a tiny bit of the red wire peaking out of the grey sheathing. The white wire is fully connected to the diode.

Does this mean I don't need to attach the red wire to anything anymore? The white will just run to the firewall/bcm and the black to the headlight harness?

PXL_20230424_185004514.jpg
Both the red and white need power. I think both were tied together and crimped in the diode on mine.

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I bought an unused kit from another member here several months ago and installed it back in January, but couldn't get it to work at that time; exchanged a few emails with John, got busy with other things, and only now just finding some time to deal with this again to find the project was shut down. Which sucks a little bit. But I'm hopeful I can still get a little help here. This is my last shot at troubleshooting, otherwise I just take the hit of having an expensive and unnecessary front pony logo replacement ...

Does anyone happen to have copies of the installation instructions they can DM me? I want to go back and verify all the connections one more time. I have a version with the pre-installed Zener. I'm also quoting the posts below because:
(1) my kit has the red wire pre-connected to the Zener, not the white wire in the picture. Does anyone know if that really makes a difference?
(2) I also seem to recall reading installation instructions drafted at the beginning of the project indicating that both the red and white wires were connected to something. Does anyone else recall that or have information on this point? I've tested bypassing the Zener entirely because maybe my car's voltage is such that it doesn't require the Zener, but it didn't make a difference. Now wondering if there is something quirky that I will need to connect the white wire to something, but don't recall exactly what that was.

Cheers!
These instructions (see attached)

BTW...mine is no longer working. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet...but seems like these may not be made of high quality parts. Worked well for 6ish months.

Attachments

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
These instructions (see attached)

BTW...mine is no longer working. Haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet...but seems like these may not be made of high quality parts. Worked well for 6ish months.
Thank you for the info and video - they were enlightening (pun intended)! it seems my unit came with the Zener installed on the wrong wire (red instead of white), and still needed to connect the red wire to the headlight. So got the pony light working, although it stays on for 5-10 minutes after I turn off the car. I guess now we’ll see how long it lasts.

Jim_In_Mass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
My lighted pony just died, likely within this week. It lasted about 8 months. What with the recent run of hot weather here in MA, I'm suspecting that there were just some parts in it which were not extended temperature range. Or that automotive extended temp range just isn't going to be sturdy enough.... But I'm a software guy, not a failure analysis engineer.....

I did enjoy seeing it glowing in the evening/night, but it really wasn't bright enough to see in daylight.

Now to figure out the next move. Leave this one in place, replace with a non-lighted one, or replace with another third-party lighted pony.

Tibot

First Name
Thibaud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e AWD
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Anyone knows where I can find a lighted front emblem ? All suppliers I find seams on backorder...
thanks.
Sponsored