Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I do not know why @Mach-E VLOG has not posted this, although they released a lot of videos recently about the 2023 California Route 1 they are reviewing. The video is great for showing atypical DCFC session with the Mach-E.

I usually recharge on road trips when I get down to 20%, so the sessions for my 2021 ER RWD Premium are shorter than shown (35 to 40 minutes).

Thanks. I too think 10-80% is more realistic than 0-100.
Sponsored

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
No. PG&E wipes my over-production every year. Itā€™s the reason I bought a PHEV after my father died, so that I am using more of the electricity I am generating than I would have otherwise wasted as gasoline. PG&E keeps the electricity and all credits are returned to zero on true-up. I get to pay the delivery fee. šŸ˜…šŸ©
what plan you are? I was on TOU-C, right now TOU-D and they did send me checks couple first years.

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Massachusetts has split the generation and distribution. You can choose the company for generation so there is a range of rates.
0.2539 per kW for Generation
0.07764 per kW for Distribution
-0.00067 per kW for Transition
0.0405 per kW for Transmission
0.02198 per kW Energy Efficiency
0.0005 per kW Renewable Energy
0.0042 per kW Distributed Solar
0.00064 per kW Electric Vehicle
Total for me is 0.39869 per kW

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Massachusetts has split the generation and distribution. You can choose the company for generation so there is a range of rates.
0.2539 per kW for Generation
0.07764 per kW for Distribution
-0.00067 per kW for Transition
0.0405 per kW for Transmission
0.02198 per kW Energy Efficiency
0.0005 per kW Renewable Energy
0.0042 per kW Distributed Solar
0.00064 per kW Electric Vehicle
Total for me is 0.39869 per kW
These are ridiculous prices! In Chicago the all in flat rate is around $0.13/ kWh and can be $0.02 more in the summer. I recently switched to the hourly market price and am ranging in the $0.08/ kWh, but summer will be more expensive. I live in an all electric condo and my winter consumption is 11x my summer. So all I care about is paying the lowest rate in winter.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
This was my 50%-80% SoC charging session on a EVGo 350 kW. 83.7 kW average at a cost of $0.167/ kWh.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Longest Range Mustang Mach-E Charging Test | 10-80% BB75893A-E1ED-4C23-9426-5437E9990A17

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The charging curve really is terrible. Rented a Model 3 from Hertz this weekend and what a great experience that was. Precondition, better efficency, and a decent curve makes a huge difference. The rest of the car kinda sucked though.

I do have to admit though that I opened the frunk multiple times from the screen. That was nice.

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I will keep harping on this wherever I can, but @Ford Motor Company really, really needs to fix this lousy charging curve. I honestly don't see why they're not maintaining at least 90+kW deeper into the pack. That, and yes - PLEASE add charging details when plugged in. We aren't afraid numbers, I promise you @Ford Motor Company.

This is my version of @Jimrpa's frunk release šŸ˜‚ (whose pain I also feel because I'm also a Job 1 owner).
the MME should definitely be charging faster than it does. 43 minutes to go 10-80% is just unacceptably slow, especially since the competition has improved their charging profiles by shaving minutes off the charge times. Polestar 2 and ID4 both had similar charge times as MME but have since had massive improvements to drop their times into the half hour range and now compete with Tesla. Hell, @Ford Motor Company just get us to 35 minutes and Iā€™d be happy. Please toss in a detailed charging screen that displays kW too while youā€™re at it.

The one thing I like about the MMEā€™s charging profile is that itā€™s pretty consistent regardless of the SoC when we plug in. Itā€™s just that 20 minutes of max charging speeds isnā€™t enough to enable skip-stop charger hopping. Instead, itā€™s only enough to go about 80 miles to the next station vs 160 miles.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much, but while we're on the subject: The battery heating strategy during charging also makes no sense. At high SoC, the battery can't charge very quickly anyway, but it insists on heating it up until the target of 98ish F. Then a minute later, battery cooling comes on, because of course it's not subzero outside. What a waste of energy (especially in places where you pay per kWh). Sure maybe it'll help if you're doing a roadtrip with multiple charging stops for the day, but isn't that what preconditioning is for?

It's almost as if the Ford BMS engineers had never seen a li-ion pack before, and they're just programming the logic to follow a spec sheet that you'd typically get if you're buying individual cells off ebay (aka not very detailed).

ANev

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium awd
Country flag
Iā€™m worried that Ford doesnā€™t think the thermal management will hold up given the hvjb issues theyā€™ve had. Obviously as a lower voltage car itā€™s not going to charge over 200kw but if they could hold the speeds around 130kw for the majority of the curve they would easily achieve that 30-35 minute 10-80% charge. Iā€™ve seen a max charge speed of 164kw a few times when plugged into an ea 350kw post but Iā€™d much rather just see a flatter curve deeper into the pack like the old e-trons.

Last edited:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
On our latest trip from Tucson to Flagstaff, we stopped in Payson and had to use one of the 350 kW chargers. We got 166 kW peak and averaged 111 kW over the 16 minutes we were plugged in.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As https://driving.ca/reviews/comparison/2023-toyota-bz4x-vs-2022-hyundai-ioniq-5-ev-comparison says:
The bigger problem for Toyota is charging. Officially, itā€™s capable of 100-kilowatt charging, the lowest rating of any modern EV Iā€™ve tested. Toyotaā€™s official specs suggest it can recharge 80 per cent of its battery in an hour. In reality, it doesnā€™t even charge that fast. Do the numbers and that works out to an average charging speed of 58 kW. Thatā€™s not good. In other words, the Toyota is not a long-distance touring machine, its range too short and its recharging speed too slow for serious highway work.
Toyota shouldnt even be in on any conversations on ev adoption. It's like having a conversation with Joe "coal"Manchan.
Sponsored