Lost 4% Battery Without Driving

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
No. If anything, it's the opposite. Not for that reason per se but because the 12v battery gets used a lot more in a BEV, like for heating and cooling (cabin and battery pack).
The heating/cooling of the HVB and cabin are done by the HVB, not the 12v battery. The biggest phantom drain on the 12v battery when the car is off is likely the WiFi and cellular modem that are always active.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The heating/cooling of the HVB and cabin are done by the HVB, not the 12v battery. The biggest phantom drain on the 12v battery when the car is off is likely the WiFi and cellular modem that are always active.
Ah, I didn't realize heating and cooling was direct from HVB. Interesting.

I guess that makes sense now that I think about it, based on the 4 categories on the energy stats screen. To break out Climate Use (cabin) and Ext Temp (what we assume is battery conditioning) separate from Route (motor), it makes sense that it measures that directly from the HVB. I'd guess that means the 4th bar (Accessories) is probably 12V battery charging?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'd guess that means the 4th bar (Accessories) is probably 12V battery charging?
Correct. Anything running off the 12v battery gets lumped under “accessories”. The cabin heating can use up to 6kW, so there’s no way a little 12v battery could provide that.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
I am very leery about leaving the car plugged in to the charger when not charging. Here in the south we get a lot of thunderstorms. It would be one thing to have a power surge fry the charger but would not want a power surge to actually reach the vehicle. I am not sure what type of surge protection is provided in the vehicles electrical systems and if the warranty covers a such a power surge. I wonder if your car insurance or home owners would cover such a situation. I need to ask my agent that when we receive our MME. Never really thought about it.
Sponsored