Lucid Air Grand Touring "only" gets 425-438 miles range...

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Edmunds ran its 75mph range test with the Lucid Air Grand Touring and didn't quite reach the 516 mile EPA rated range. Clocking in "only" 425 to 438 miles on its two tests.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/te...ring-misses-epa-range-by-nearly-80-miles.html

Edmund's EV Range Test:
The roads
Edmunds drives on specific road routes that cover both highway and city driving around the greater Los Angeles area. We aim for a mix of 60% city driving and 40% highway, assuming that most electric vehicle owners will likely spend more time in stop-and-go traffic than they will on the open highway. Since no electric vehicle has exactly the same range, the route length is adapted to suit each vehicle.

The methodology
In EPA tests, a vehicle is run in the default settings at startup. If there are more efficient drive modes available, or if you can increase the level of regenerative braking, but the vehicle doesn't default to these settings, they won't be utilized. Edmunds' standard practice is to use the most efficient drive mode as long as it doesn't affect safety or practical comfort levels, such as deactivating the climate control system or significantly reducing power for accelerating or maintaining appropriate highway speeds.

We run with windows up and the climate control set to auto at 72 degrees, and we maximize regenerative braking during stops. We follow the posted speed limits and keep within 5 mph of them, traffic and conditions permitting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
But. The 'only' being, it 'only' lost about 100 miles or 1/5th the range. $140k pain.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
But. The 'only' being, it 'only' lost about 100 miles or 1/5th the range. $140k pain.
Agreed. I wouldn't purchase a Lucid. Too expensive, too ugly, and not at all usable for what I do.

I'm just pretty happy that we're seeing 425+ mile range in vehicles becoming a real thing. I'm glad people with big wallets are buying them...

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Lucids have very good efficiency (mi/kWh due to very efficient motors and low drag coefficient) which I hope rubs off on future models.

The problem is it's not hard to make something great for 3x the median cost in the segment... its much more impressive to see a company make something great at the median cost in the segment. This is a lot harder and ultimately a lot more impactful.

I bet they would sell a lot more if they focused on an SUV form factor instead of sedan form factor... even though the 400+ mile thing would become 300+ miles.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Lucids have very good efficiency (mi/kWh due to very efficient motors and low drag coefficient) which I hope rubs off on future models.

The problem is it's not hard to make something great for 3x the median cost in the segment... its much more impressive to see a company make something great at the median cost in the segment. This is a lot harder and ultimately a lot more impactful.

I bet they would sell a lot more if they focused on an SUV form factor instead of sedan form factor... even though the 400+ mile thing would become 300+ miles.
As long as they keep the "luxury" branding and build, they're not going to sell many vehicles.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Interesting that their "wunderbox" does not produce the performance promised. If you have not seen their videos I recommend going to their website and finding their Tech Talks. Episode 1 describes the battery pack. Episode 2 describes the Space Concept. Episode 3 link is below describing their "Wunderbox":
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4033633B7A5D08D02B36403&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
Really? You are an American company. At least use english titles.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
How dare they only get 85% of claimed range! What an outrage! 🤪🐩

According to the article, Lucid does not use the same test Ford uses for the EPA estimate. This would completely explain this. It’s really the EPA’s fault for allowing two different testing regimens. At the very least the EPA should require manufacturers to disclose which test they used to arrive at their EPA estimate with every claim of range. Something like “Estimated range 305 miles based on EPA test X.” Or “Estimated range 505 miles based on EPA test Y.” Oh, and no fine print allowed for the indication of testing methodology. 🤔🐩

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Interesting that their "wunderbox" does not produce the performance promised. If you have not seen their videos I recommend going to their website and finding their Tech Talks. Episode 1 describes the battery pack. Episode 2 describes the Space Concept. Episode 3 link is below describing their "Wunderbox":
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...4033633B7A5D08D02B36403&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
You have two different thoughts going on here and I feel like they're not connected. The Tech Talk is very high level and doesn't present anything new, in my experience.

Your assertion that the AC-DC converter doesn't provide the performance is unsupported by the high level tech talk, but that's not surprising. What performance doesn't the charging "wunderbox" deliver? And where are the data? Are you saying the wunderbox cannot provide 19.2 kW when on an AC EVSE? Or are you saying something else?

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
How dare they only get 85% of claimed range! What an outrage! 🤪🐩

According to the article, Lucid does not use the same test Ford uses for the EPA estimate. This would completely explain this. It’s really the EPA’s fault for allowing two different testing regimens. At the very least the EPA should require manufacturers to disclose which test they used to arrive at their EPA estimate with every claim of range. Something like “Estimated range 305 miles based on EPA test X.” Or “Estimated range 505 miles based on EPA test Y.” Oh, and no fine print allowed for the indication of testing methodology. 🤔🐩
I agree. It makes no sense that there are two different tests allowed. If they don't give the same result they're not comparable. It sure seems like someone making some policy or passing a law was influenced by a particular company into allowing an inaccurate test that inflates that company's "grade" without informing consumers.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Did they actually do the test at 75MPH? I didn't see a test speed listed anywhere in the article. If they did test the range at that speed, well, duh that they didn't get the full range.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Did they actually do the test at 75MPH? I didn't see a test speed listed anywhere in the article. If they did test the range at that speed, well, duh that they didn't get the full range.
No. I misread. I fixed the OP.

---
The roads
Edmunds drives on specific road routes that cover both highway and city driving around the greater Los Angeles area. We aim for a mix of 60% city driving and 40% highway, assuming that most electric vehicle owners will likely spend more time in stop-and-go traffic than they will on the open highway. Since no electric vehicle has exactly the same range, the route length is adapted to suit each vehicle.

The methodology
In EPA tests, a vehicle is run in the default settings at startup. If there are more efficient drive modes available, or if you can increase the level of regenerative braking, but the vehicle doesn't default to these settings, they won't be utilized. Edmunds' standard practice is to use the most efficient drive mode as long as it doesn't affect safety or practical comfort levels, such as deactivating the climate control system or significantly reducing power for accelerating or maintaining appropriate highway speeds.

We run with windows up and the climate control set to auto at 72 degrees, and we maximize regenerative braking during stops. We follow the posted speed limits and keep within 5 mph of them, traffic and conditions permitting.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Temperature matters a lot. (below 80F, Lithium battery capacity diminishes) I missed where they record or normalize for that anywhere on their leader board.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Most Edmunds tests I've seen match or exceed EPA ratings, so I'm surprised the Lucid didn't fare better. InsideEvs tested a Lucid and got 500 mile in their 70 mph test, which I thought was damn impressive. The aerodynamic sedan shape helped it achieve 4.3 m/kW at 70 mph.

I wish more Americans would not be so hung up on driving really tall, huge vehicles. Sedans make so much more sense in terms of being efficient and safer(less prone to roll over than big tall vehicles).

Some claim they want to sit up higher to see the road better. My sedan offers the best road visibility of any car I've ever owned. Better than our Kia SUV.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
If I remember correctly, when they tested the MME, it beat the EPA range estimate.

Just checked - yep.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lucid Air Grand Touring "only" gets 425-438 miles range... 1678212681900

But I am big fan of the technology Lucid has developed, and it has great potential. If they can just survive long enough to produce enough vehicles to be profitable. It could happen!

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Did anyone bother to see the other Lucid Air Dream Range actually got 505 miles out of its 520 mile EPA rated range. That’s not meeting or exceeding but it’s pretty great.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

And to all of those commenting on Lucids being too expensive, well, that’s how they’re financing the foray into the more affordable market, just like Tesla did with the S and X. It took Tesla 7 years to go from S to Model 3. I’m betting Lucid hits it in 4-5.
Sponsored