Mach e build quality. Mot so much

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Have less than 5k miles on my premium and and have over 10 chips on the hood. My wife's 2002 toyota Camry with over 20 years of driving has none. For a 60K car you would think ford could beat the build quality of toyota. Shame on you ford.
My initial thought was that this post is some kind of satire... but I'll assume you are serious.

The moment I took my ME to the detailer for ceramic coat he immediately suggested a PPF on the hood due to how aggressive it was sloped. I didn't listen to him and two months later I got a nice ding from a rock across it. Lesson learned and I immediately PPFd the hood, grill, and fenders.

Also, the ME is quite a bit faster than a camry, and the bursts of acceleration make it more likely to catch bits of gravel on the road.

Paint chips have nothing to do with 'build quality'
Sponsored

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Agree. So why didn't ford put the same coating on our 60k cars.? That's my point. If they are truly concerned about build quality make a quality product!
Ferarri does not put PPF on $2.5 million cars... so why would Ford do it? PPF is an aftermarket thing.

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Also, for what it's worth, I have 10k miles on my car, and once I got the PPF, no more chips. The car looks practically brand new.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
So you're saying there was actually a benefit to my car riding around on a train for 4 months before getting to the dealer and having the ceramic coat applied?
Well your car got a tour of the USA, the old fashioned way!
🎶“See the USA in your Mach-e Today …”🎶

Dinah Shore just muffed the lyrics apparently. :p

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Anecdotally, my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid has a tricoat paint job and did seem more resistant to chips. My grabber blue chips and scrapes easy - both the front and back bumpers. Picked up a few chips on the front bumper just on drive home from dealership (a 500mi drive home LOL). I don’t know if the paint is just thinner nowadays or what, but damn.

I’ve said this many times before, but at least a partial PPF on the front end is essential with the MME. The thing collects chips.

And “ceramic coating” doesn’t prevent chips. It makes cleaning the car a bit easier and that’s about it. I had a professional coating applied for about $1,000 shortly after purchase and I can’t say it did a whole lot.

Bottom line, the OP isn’t crazy. There’s more to this story than just bad luck.
You know, this post reminded me of a Ford Taurus commercial from several years ago. Tanner Faust was demoing several features of the Taurus compared to competitors and one of the features was the paint. I think the competitor they used was a Lexus. Anyway, they had the competitor follow a dump truck leaking gravel chips at highway speeds, then the Taurus doing the same. The hood of the Lexus was a mess. The hood of the Taurus looked untouched.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Well your car got a tour of the USA, the old fashioned way!
🎶“See the USA in your Mach-e Today …”🎶

Dinah Shore just muffed the lyrics apparently. :p
OMG! Am I supposed to stand with my hand over my heart? Or am I supposed to be terrified of getting into an accident with that steering wheel? 😮
Why did that lady look like she was dressed to go to Drag Queen Amateur Night at the bar? 😀

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Paint needs to have cured for about a month before ceramic coating can be applied. That’s not happening at any factory .

Depends upon what you mean by benefits Rick. Lower routine maintenance for ceramic coatings vs wax is one that matters to me personally. Specifically, in high UV areas the ceramic coatings UV protection against aging on our paint jobs is a great plus. A good wax doesn’t last even a month here before breaking down. Far less work. But you know what neither ceramic coating nor wax does? They won’t prevent chips from flying gravel, rock or sand. For that, you need PPF, which also has issues. There is no perfect solution.

As for the OP, the aerodynamics of the Mach-e enhance the chances of a rock induced paint event. Get used to it or take preventative measures.
My car sat in the parking lot in Cuatalan for a month. They could have done something then 😉 of course, they would have had to wash all the dust off first 😀

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Is this a forum or is it Facebook?
Yes. Welcome to the Internet.

These kinds of responses existed long before social media like Facebook. Usenet in the 80s was pretty similar in the varying tone of responses.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
OMG! Am I supposed to stand with my hand over my heart? Or am I supposed to be terrified of getting into an accident with that steering wheel? 😮
Why did that lady look like she was dressed to go to Drag Queen Amateur Night at the bar? 😀
Don’t go dissing Ms Shore. :p

1953 apparently. Before my time, but I recall the local dealership version being sung on the radio into the 1970s anyway for San Francisco’s Ellis Brooke Chevrolet. Seeing the USA in a mach-e is much better imo. Not that I’d know, I live on an island.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Don’t go dissing Ms Shore. :p

1953 apparently. Before my time, but I recall the local dealership version being sung on the radio into the 1970s anyway for San Francisco’s Ellis Brooke Chevrolet. Seeing the USA in a mach-e is much better imo. Not that I’d know, I live on an island.
I know. I’m a total failure when it comes to divas (hangs head in shame). Madonna and Cher are about the only two that I can tolerate.
Now, I’d they’d make a car that looked like a 9164 4-door convertible Continental with the technology of the Mustang Mach E, I’d be begging them to take my money 😀😀😀

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Pics or it didn't happen

Gungrave223

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E Premium
Country flag
Have less than 5k miles on my premium and and have over 10 chips on the hood. My wife's 2002 toyota Camry with over 20 years of driving has none. For a 60K car you would think ford could beat the build quality of toyota. Shame on you ford.
Lol you're complaining about paint? 😂 I would kill to have paint chips instead my '23 premium is at the dealership who then proceed to put over 200 miles on my new car trying to figure out why I completely lost power twice in 2 days.

Hit me up when you actually have an issue. 😂

parasandtobi

First Name
Paras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
On mine the paint quality really impressed me and I haven't had any paint chips yet. I did have two blobs of paint on the rear bumper but you can't see it unless you are actively looking for them. Kind of surprised QC didn't catch it... or it was touched up after shipping. 🤷‍♂️

fmtexmme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Before I bought mine, I read a lot of complaints about paint chips on the front of the car, so the first thing I did when I bought mine was to have paint protection film applied to the front of the car.
Sponsored