Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
@MyLittlePony2022 made a modification to his MME, adding strip LED lighting to his cargo area. He wired the LED strips to the power and ground of the C489 connector (for the side lamp module in the cargo area), and since the power to that module is always on (until the car times out), he added a physical switch to enable his added lighting to be turned on or off.

I decided to see if it is feasible to use the OEM lamp module to trigger a solid-state relay to turn on/off the added LED strips. (My initial idea actually was to try to use the third wire to C489 (Switch ā€“ Overhead Console # External Control) to trigger the relay, but I discovered that in fact that wire is the LIN bus to the module and so it cannot be used as a trigger. So I instead needed to do surgery on the OEM lamp module to extract a suitable trigger.

Before we go further, I want to stress that I do not recommend others do this mod! It is time consuming, could easily end up trashing your lamp module, and if things really go south it might even damage your BCM (which would be certifiably bad). If you decide to proceed, youā€™re on your own. I cannot be responsible for any issues that arise should you attempt this mod.

OK, enough of the backstory and warnings, hereā€™s what I did.

To summarize, we have three input pins on C489 (the connector to the OEM lamp module):

1. Battery Saver +12V (this is on whenever the car is on and remains on for about 20 minutes after the car is shut off)
  2. Switch ā€“ Overhead Console # External Control (LIN)
  3. Ground

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach image

Courtesy @MyLittlePony2022

Pin 2 is the LIN bus and is not used (directly) for this project. Instead, we tap inside the lamp module to obtain the appropriate signal to use with our solid-state relay.

To open the module, youā€™ll need to remove the clear diffuser plastic by carefully prying it open from behind. There are small tabs that hold it in place and those tabs can be pushed out from behind. Once the diffuser is off, the lens assembly drops out (tapping the module onto its face helps), and then the PCB assembly can be gently pried out. It is simply press-fit in the module housing, so thereā€™s little worry of damaging it if youā€™re careful.

Here is the disassembled module:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach img_1824-jpe

After much testing and basically trashing my lamp module, I determined that Test Point 5 (TP5) is the correct net (signal in a circuit) to drive the SS relay. Tapping that test point directly is not recommended because unless you can protect against all strain to the tap wire, there is a very high probability that you will damage the circuit and need to make repairs (like I did). And while it certainly isnā€™t for the faint of heart, the best way I could figure out to tap that net is to drill through the PCB. I used a 1/16ā€ drill bit and carefully drilled at the spot shown in the photo below:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach img_1831-jpe

I then, on the other side of the PCB, scraped off a small section of the white coating in the area shown below:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach img_1825-jpe

This exposed bare copper which is on the same net as TP5 (and the ā€œWā€ contact of D2, the yellow colored LED you see on the right side of the PCB shown above).

Below you can see my finished modification. You can run a small wire to the inner pad of the bare C1 spot if youā€™d like (it is part of the same net).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach 1675709176082-

Do not tap only TP5. I initially did that, and the tap wire pulled up the test point and broke the signal trace. I needed to repair the trace and who knows how long it will lastā€¦ (Luckily the lamp module isnā€™t too expensive.)

To switch the LED strips on and off I used a 12VDC Solid-State Relay with a 1-amp load rating (Omron G3SD-Z01P). I purchased it from Digikey.com but unfortunately, I purchased the last one they have in stock, so I donā€™t know if anyone (crazy enough to try this mod) can easily find it. If you do want to try the mod, I suggest you search for a 12VDC input solid state relay with at least a 1-amp load rating.

Here is the schematic of the very simple circuit used to drive the LED Strips:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach led-schematic-

And here is the wiring diagram that shows schematically how I chose to wire up the circuit:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach led-wiring-diagram-

Here is the finished wiring harness. I drilled a hole in the back of the housing for the trigger wire to pass through. You can see the wavey trigger wire coming out of the back and going to the relay. I added 3M locking tape (heavy duty Velcro) to the top of the relay to mount to the back of the housing, though Iā€™d not mounted it yet in this photo.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach img_3082-jpe

Hereā€™s everything all buttoned up:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach img_3085-jpe

I ran the two LED strips in series, with the wire connecting them running behind the soundproofing under the floor (below the lift gate sill trim). The trim is easy to remove: just two bolts on the inside easily visible, two bolts holding the tie-downs, and a few clips.

Here's the finished result:

Am I happy with the results? Yes! Would I do it again? No! Should you do it? You need to decide, but I really don't recommend it.

Oh, and here's what my trunk looked like an hour before the video was made:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Cargo LED Strip Lighting Project -  Another (My) Approach img_3081-jpe

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Great work John! I am impressed!

OP
OP
JohnFoxeSheets

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
John, when you said it was a lot of work to do this mod and you don't recommend it, I thought, it can't be that bad. After reading your post, that is a hell of a lot of work just for extra cargo lights. HOWEVER, they look really cool and do a great job of lighting that area. I can see how this took you quite a long time to get right but you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it I'm sure.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yeah, excellent work and incredibly detailed instructions on something we shouldn't try at home ;) This just makes me think of how cool true ambient lighting would be in this car, and that back seat is just itching for some mod.

OP
OP
JohnFoxeSheets

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, excellent work and incredibly detailed instructions on something we shouldn't try at home ;) This just makes me think of how cool true ambient lighting would be in this car, and that back seat is just itching for some mod.
Thanks. I figured if I was going to post about it (there were folks waiting on another thread for my results so I felt I should), I ought to let folks know how to do it, but also that they would be just a tad crazy if they did. šŸ¤£

As for more ambient lighting, honestly since I'm never in the back seat, I don't really care that it's not there. But the utility of the lighting in the back is something I think I'll enjoy on road trips...

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yeah, the early ford photos of basic ambient lighting in the back (not to mention it showing in settings) for us early order holders was hard to unsee once we started receiving the cars.

Thanks. I figured if I was going to post about it (there were folks waiting on another thread for my results so I felt I should), I ought to let folks know how to do it, but also that they would be just a tad crazy if they did. šŸ¤£

As for more ambient lighting, honestly since I'm never in the back seat, I don't really care that it's not there. But the utility of the lighting in the back is something I think I'll enjoy on road trips...

OP
OP
JohnFoxeSheets

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, the early ford photos of basic ambient lighting in the back (not to mention it showing in settings) for us early order holders was hard to unsee once we started receiving the cars.
I wasnā€™t part of the early crowd so I missed it, but I can totally understand the disappointment.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
OP
OP
JohnFoxeSheets

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I bought a roll of 3m double sided industrial tape and used to to stick the LED to the car. Of course, I cut it to size. Most adhesive sucks so my fall back is always 3m tape. Love that stuff.
Thanks. Yeah, I installed 1/4ā€ 3M VHB tape to the underside of the strips yesterday and so far it is holding just fine. I agree that 3M tape is the best!

Chris D

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Aston Martin Vantage V8, Mustang Mach-E Premium EX
Country flag
Absolutely amazing job! Looks fantastic.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Hooooo boy... That is so cool. They really didn't put enough lighting in the back area there. Way to go John. šŸ˜ŽšŸ©
Sponsored