Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
If you're wondering whether the Mach-E will feature dashcam and sentry mode capabilities, here's what Ford told us at the LA Auto Show:

Q: Can the front cameras act as a dashcam?
A: More details to come on that. The hardware is capable. With OTA Updates capability, these are the types of things we’re working on, giving customer’s cars more capabilities as they own it.​

Q: Will there be a sentry mode?
A: Stay tuned on this. The OTA capabilities of the vehicle we’ve still got some things that the team’s working on, so between now and the time we launch, we’ll share more as we get closer to the launch date.​
Sponsored

Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Sounds promising. I wonder if some of this stuff is based on consumer demand (asking questions like this probably shows a customer desire).

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's good news that it sounds like they were aware these two things should be included features. I'm fine waiting until Spring for my GT as long as these features are out or would be out soon.

Macheeee

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F-150, 2013 Honda Crosstour, 2010 Audi A5 Con
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I don’t trust Ford and free updates. Or even any update based on track record. My 2016 Ford F-150!was supposed to have CarPlay. It arrived without it then they said coming soon with a software patch. 2 years later the software update came out and I had to purchase new USB ports.

Ericc B

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT Fastback (a real Mustang)
Country flag
Q: Can the front cameras act as a dashcam?
A: More details to come on that. The hardware is capable. With OTA Updates capability, these are the types of things we’re working on, giving customer’s cars more capabilities as they own it.​
That's marketing speak for: No it won't be available at the start of production. Perhaps later, but I cannot make any promises.

schmluss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I don’t trust Ford and free updates. Or even any update based on track record. My 2016 Ford F-150!was supposed to have CarPlay. It arrived without it then they said coming soon with a software patch. 2 years later the software update came out and I had to purchase new USB ports.
The reason that you had to change the USB ports was Apple’s fault. Android users didn’t have to change it.

I think Ford will follow through on this as that is how they will compete with Tesla.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I hope they do have some sort of sentry mode like Tesla and a working front dash cam (I use a portable one). It already has cameras for the Co-piot 360 so it should be easy enough to enable them to record on demand. Having a car with the Mustang name I am a little concerned about the hate and what people might try to do to damage it like they do the Tesla. I see videos all the time showing criminals vandalizing or stealing Teslas so this is a good thing to have if nothing else to scare people away thinking they are being recorded.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
... I see videos all the time showing criminals vandalizing or stealing Teslas so this is a good thing to have if nothing else to scare people away thinking they are being recorded.
So the Tesla's sentry mode doesn't really stop vandalism?

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
So the Tesla's sentry mode doesn't really stop vandalism?
I don't think anything will stop ALL vandals but if it recorded you would have evidence and hopefully a license plate or face to report to the police and also to the insurance company. I think it is a deterrent to those that might think about it but then walk away once they realize they are being recorded.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
newbie status here......What is sentry mode and how does it work??? As for theft of a Tesla that is essentially impossible,. Your phone is the key to the car. If it is stolen you can simply turn it off. If it sis an iPhone once you report it to Apple everything connected to the iPhone is turned off....IE the car.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
newbie status here......What is sentry mode and how does it work??? As for theft of a Tesla that is essentially impossible,. Your phone is the key to the car. If it is stolen you can simply turn it off. If it sis an iPhone once you report it to Apple everything connected to the iPhone is turned off....IE the car.
As far as I understand, sentry mode uses your vehicles cameras to record activity outside the car when off. I’m not sure if it’s constantly recording or only when motion is detected. There seems to be some hate for Tesla’s and because of that some people are damaging them. Sentry mode has been able to record some of these instances for those that want to file a police report. I imagine it could also be used to video when someone breaks into your car.

There may be other uses but that is what I have been seeing in the news lately.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
As far as I understand, sentry mode uses your vehicles cameras to record activity outside the car when off. I’m not sure if it’s constantly recording or only when motion is detected. There seems to be some hate for Tesla’s and because of that some people are damaging them. Sentry mode has been able to record some of these instances for those that want to file a police report. I imagine it could also be used to video when someone breaks into your car.

There may be other uses but that is what I have been seeing in the news lately.
I wonder if this likes a dash cam so in the case of an accident you have video proof of EXACTLY what happened.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I wonder if this likes a dash cam so in the case of an accident you have video proof of EXACTLY what happened.
It will alert you when you get in the car with a message saying there are sentry events. Which basically is activity close to the car. You can then record the clips.

If your driving you can push a button and it will save something like the last few minutes into a new file on your USB Flash drive that you keep inserted into the car.
Sponsored