Mach-E fails Moose test and OTA ESP required

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Hitting a deer or moose at 60mph is in the benefit of the insurer. Pay-out for a stiff is probably less expensive then when you survive and get hospitalised plus all the expenses for car and environment repair.... So better swerve around
Let’s appeal to the experts:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-avoid-hitting-deer-and-moose-with-car-2973107

Most importantly: “Do not swerve to avoid the moose; these creatures are unpredictable and may move right into your new path.”
Sponsored

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Since you asked. Yes, I have seen them. My childhood bedroom even had a full moose head in it.

Of course you should try not to hit them. But again, never swerve. Swerving to avoid animals is more dangerous than just braking. And you’re just as likely to swerve into them. It’s not like they just stand still like the cones in the stupid moose test.

Yeah, I think slamming on the brakes maybe best since many times, swerving may result in you rolling over or driving off the road into a ditch or to oncoming traffic, etc...

Hard to say what someone 'would' do when in that split second though.

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
OP
OP
Waps61

Waps61

First Name
Waps
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
Expert?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E fails Moose test and OTA ESP required 1637162577485

Not a personal attack on the author, but what about having been out of the country, creating web content, blogs, print articles, classroom experiences, and creative learning adventures qualifies as expert?
unless she tutors how to avoid a moose....

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I live in an area with moose and elk, and really don’t want those coming over my hood. I’ll swerve if I can’t brake in time (and if road space allows!) so am hopeful an OTA update can improve this

This test is about more than moose though. I’ve already faced a situation where I had to swerve in my Mach-E going 55mph. Dark four lane highway, oncoming traffic meant my low beams were all I had. Thought it was enough light for my speed but next thing I knew there was a dark-dressed pedestrian crossing the highway in the middle of my lane. No time to brake, barely missed him as I swerved.

OP
OP
Waps61

Waps61

First Name
Waps
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR
Country flag
BTW we only have deers and occasionally a boar overhere ( or an outbreak of a horse or a cow). Mostly rabbits , birds and cats and occasionally a fox that I encounter dead on the tarmac. Won't swerve for those though...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Expert?

Not a personal attack on the author, but what about having been out of the country, creating web content, blogs, print articles, classroom experiences, and creative learning adventures qualifies as expert?
I’ll admit it was a lazy google search on my part (clicked the first link).

But search yourself, there is a consensus that swerving for animals is the worst thing you can do. You are more likely to crash.

Just hit the brakes. The moose test is dumb.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
Few moose but many deer in my area, I remember a discussion with an insurance agent when he told me to hit them. If you swerve to avoid and lose control it's your fault if you hit a deer it's not your fault. That's in my state yours may be different
The moose is quite large and long legs, meaning >90% of the impact will be the windshield. They can weigh 500kg.

Around here we are taught to hit anything else.
Sponsored