test drive model y and mach e / mach e 4x on the same day

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
Decided to test Model Y and Mach E on the same day. Managed to make an appointment for Model Y, Mach E AWD Extended and Mach E RWD Standard within 2 hours or time. Every test drive took about 30 minutes and was 70% highway and 30% in-towns driving. I am not a person who is noticing a lot of tiny things, so, my impressions will be pretty brief, I think. Took my wife and my teenage daughter on these tests, so, will share their impressions too. Just for information - we tested Mach E RWD Standard about three weeks ago, neither my wife nor I never drove Tesla. My daughter was a passenger in Tesla Y and Model 3 few times in her friends cars.

- my wife loved Tesla from the first glance - knowing her, I will probably say, she just thinks Tesla is cool and Ford is still producing Model T :)

- the responsiveness while driving Model Y is nothing but spectacular - it just responds exactly the way I would expect from electric car - no delays, picks up the speed from any point you are in, from any speed you are at. In regards to Mach E - I felt there were some moments when it feels responsive and dynamic, but there are some times, when it kind of lags, delays in reaction. No doubt Model Y is much quicker from 0/complete stop.

- the ride in MY felt bumpier than in MME, MME didn't had that reaction to every unevenness in the roads, but both cars were incredibly quiet on the highway - I didn't notice more noise from MY that many people were mentioning - my family also agreed on that.

- from the moment I sat in MME, I felt home - I just know what to do and what to press to do the driving. Tesla didn't feel that way - the whole procedure of pressing brake to switch from P to N to D to R just didn't feel natural - 30 minutes was not enough to get used to it. Whoever says Tesla is a software company that produces cars is not exactly right - just the basic procedure to adjust side mirrors was not as simple as it supposed to be - first, you have to do that via screen, every time I was adjusting an angle of the left mirror, it was jumping to the right mirror and you have to click right mirror on the screen to continue. And the same story was for the right side mirror. The worst thing was the fact that the music system in the car didn't work - actually, the whole sound system didn't work at all - we checked everything making sure it is not muted and it was not, but there was no sound from the iphone which we successfully connected, MY didn't react on our voice commands - though we though the voice assistant on the screen (long push pf the right button on the steering wheel) and turn signals also were silent - I only saw I turned the signals when I looked on the screen. That was a disappointment - we really wanted to test the sound too.

- MY inside felt bigger to me for some reason, MME felt a little less spacious and more crowded

- I didn't find serious difference in dynamics and response between Mach E AWD Ext and Mach E RWD Standard - maybe, maybe AWD is a little bit more responsive, but I personally didn't notice much difference.

- we tested sound again in MME and it was good kinda, I really was impressed with the way some familiar songs sounded in Surround mode - it's really great to hear different instruments and voices coming from so many places in the car - in stereo mode, which I always was listening to, everything comes either from left or from the right, with Mach E surround it felt different and felt great. Though, the clarity of the sound, and we listened to few songs in different genres and different styles, didn't wow-ed me. But my teenage daughter loved the sound - which is really important :)

- they had my configuration of MME on sale, used as test drive vehicle, I was thinking about buying it, but the dealer didn't offer any good discount - all he was offering is a free maintenance plan - oil, rotation, wiper blades, washer for 60K and then when I was not thrilled with that, offered Extended Warranty PremiumCare for 5 years and 75K but told me it will cost $2K and only because they will give me a discount of $1K. I was not thrilled with it too as I saw people here were able to buy 6 years and 75K for something like $975 from some dealers. Plus, the car was washed every day using dealers washing facility and it has all those swirls and stuff (they told me though they will do pre-sales detailing). He also was talking about some paint protection but it turned out to be something like a ceramic protection called Zurich - never heard of it - plus, I think I can do that stuff myself. If he offered ppf, I would might change my mind but just for ceramic.... Anyway, I think I will pass, though I will probably get my car not earlier than June (but I am in no hurry).

Anyway, results. My wife doesn't want to hear about MME for her personally. She wants MY 100% - no discussion :). My teenage daughter votes whole-heartedly for MME. I personally - kind of in thinking - I really really loved MY's driving - the response, the quickness, braking was exactly the way I anticipated. OPD with MY was intuitive and nice, MME was kind of jerky in OPD mode for me, doesn't matter what mode I was driving in. But the interior and the exterior of MME hands down beats MY. Not sure. Probably will do another test drive of MY and will see - I didn't expect I like MY driving that much :) If $7K tax credit comes through for Tesla, maaan...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Both are good cars. I ordered a Y after driving it. The car that arrived at delivery was unacceptable. That experience drove me to the ME. My ME is a much better built car.

I would say the Y has slightly better performance. But I also agree the ME is a better ride.

I like the look of both. I would wait for the Y refresh if you go that route. They are already rolling out in China. Wont be too much longer for U.S.

If the tax credit does not coalesce I think the ME is the better choice. No question.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
Decided to test Model Y and Mach E on the same day. Managed to make an appointment for Model Y, Mach E AWD Extended and Mach E RWD Standard within 2 hours or time. Every test drive took about 30 minutes and was 70% highway and 30% in-towns driving. I am not a person who is noticing a lot of tiny things, so, my impressions will be pretty brief, I think. Took my wife and my teenage daughter on these tests, so, will share their impressions too. Just for information - we tested Mach E RWD Standard about three weeks ago, neither my wife nor I never drove Tesla. My daughter was a passenger in Tesla Y and Model 3 few times in her friends cars.

- my wife loved Tesla from the first glance - knowing her, I will probably say, she just thinks Tesla is cool and Ford is still producing Model T :)

- the responsiveness while driving Model Y is nothing but spectacular - it just responds exactly the way I would expect from electric car - no delays, picks up the speed from any point you are in, from any speed you are at. In regards to Mach E - I felt there were some moments when it feels responsive and dynamic, but there are some times, when it kind of lags, delays in reaction. No doubt Model Y is much quicker from 0/complete stop.

- the ride in MY felt bumpier than in MME, MME didn't had that reaction to every unevenness in the roads, but both cars were incredibly quiet on the highway - I didn't notice more noise from MY that many people were mentioning - my family also agreed on that.

- from the moment I sat in MME, I felt home - I just know what to do and what to press to do the driving. Tesla didn't feel that way - the whole procedure of pressing brake to switch from P to N to D to R just didn't feel natural - 30 minutes was not enough to get used to it. Whoever says Tesla is a software company that produces cars is not exactly right - just the basic procedure to adjust side mirrors was not as simple as it supposed to be - first, you have to do that via screen, every time I was adjusting an angle of the left mirror, it was jumping to the right mirror and you have to click right mirror on the screen to continue. And the same story was for the right side mirror. The worst thing was the fact that the music system in the car didn't work - actually, the whole sound system didn't work at all - we checked everything making sure it is not muted and it was not, but there was no sound from the iphone which we successfully connected, MY didn't react on our voice commands - though we though the voice assistant on the screen (long push pf the right button on the steering wheel) and turn signals also were silent - I only saw I turned the signals when I looked on the screen. That was a disappointment - we really wanted to test the sound too.

- MY inside felt bigger to me for some reason, MME felt a little less spacious and more crowded

- I didn't find serious difference in dynamics and response between Mach E AWD Ext and Mach E RWD Standard - maybe, maybe AWD is a little bit more responsive, but I personally didn't notice much difference.

- we tested sound again in MME and it was good kinda, I really was impressed with the way some familiar songs sounded in Surround mode - it's really great to hear different instruments and voices coming from so many places in the car - in stereo mode, which I always was listening to, everything comes either from left or from the right, with Mach E surround it felt different and felt great. Though, the clarity of the sound, and we listened to few songs in different genres and different styles, didn't wow-ed me. But my teenage daughter loved the sound - which is really important :)

- they had my configuration of MME on sale, used as test drive vehicle, I was thinking about buying it, but the dealer didn't offer any good discount - all he was offering is a free maintenance plan - oil, rotation, wiper blades, washer for 60K and then when I was not thrilled with that, offered Extended Warranty PremiumCare for 5 years and 75K but told me it will cost $2K and only because they will give me a discount of $1K. I was not thrilled with it too as I saw people here were able to buy 6 years and 75K for something like $975 from some dealers. Plus, the car was washed every day using dealers washing facility and it has all those swirls and stuff (they told me though they will do pre-sales detailing). He also was talking about some paint protection but it turned out to be something like a ceramic protection called Zurich - never heard of it - plus, I think I can do that stuff myself. If he offered ppf, I would might change my mind but just for ceramic.... Anyway, I think I will pass, though I will probably get my car not earlier than June (but I am in no hurry).

Anyway, results. My wife doesn't want to hear about MME for her personally. She wants MY 100% - no discussion :). My teenage daughter votes whole-heartedly for MME. I personally - kind of in thinking - I really really loved MY's driving - the response, the quickness, braking was exactly the way I anticipated. OPD with MY was intuitive and nice, MME was kind of jerky in OPD mode for me, doesn't matter what mode I was driving in. But the interior and the exterior of MME hands down beats MY. Not sure. Probably will do another test drive of MY and will see - I didn't expect I like MY driving that much :) If $7K tax credit comes through for Tesla, maaan...
I thoroughly enjoyed that review and I appreciate you sharing the different points of view.
I had a chance to buy a very lightly used MY end of last year but being in Alaska I just don’t think Tesla is quite here yet, and the insurance rate on the MY vs the MME is the real game changer for me.
That said I have never driven in or physically seen a MY. I have driven MME AWD standard range.
Interesting to note that there’s not much difference in the RWD standard and AWD ER.
I’m currently considering AWD SR slightly against my better judgement. One of my real reasons to go ER is the extra power it packs. But if it’s not that immediately apparent that’s something for me to consider.
Thanks for the thread!

OP
OP
supertramp

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I thoroughly enjoyed that review and I appreciate you sharing the different points of view.
I had a chance to buy a very lightly used MY end of last year but being in Alaska I just don’t think Tesla is quite here yet, and the insurance rate on the MY vs the MME is the real game changer for me.
That said I have never driven in or physically seen a MY. I have driven MME AWD standard range.
Interesting to note that there’s not much difference in the RWD standard and AWD ER.
I’m currently considering AWD SR slightly against my better judgement. One of my real reasons to go ER is the extra power it packs. But if it’s not that immediately apparent that’s something for me to consider.
Thanks for the thread!
Well... If I lived in Alaska (or any other state that has snow for several months), I would not consider buying anything but AWD - and performance would be a smaller concern, the main concern would be the safety of driving AWD in snowy conditions. That comes from a person who lived most of his life in a country where winter lasts approximately 5-6 months :)

Last edited:

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
Well... If I lived in Alaska (or any other state that has snow for several months), I would not consider buying anything but AWD - and performance would be a smaller concern, the main concern would be the safety of driving AWD in snowy conditions. That comes from a person who lived most of his life in a country where winter lasts approximately 5-6 months :)
Sure, I don’t see any practical reason to sell anything other than AWD in Alaska.
Where I fortunately am, is do I want AWD with 68kW or 88kW battery
???

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
If tesla MY LR can ever do 300+ in real world, that's a better option, but MME extended awd does that right now.

Ford Mustang Mach-E test drive model y and mach e / mach e 4x on the same day 20210320_170720
Sponsored