Consumer Reports - Mach E v Model Y

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We gave up our longtime CR subscription years ago when the format changed and the print became tiny...

OF course, nowadays most libraries have the Consumer Reports database fully accessible for library patrons, simply go to the library website, find the CR link, log into the library account, and it's all there for you.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Read like it all comes down to reliability to rate them. How they determine that for a one to zero year vehicle is not indicated. Appears to basically be an unscientific opinion at best. I have my opinion of BEV's and rate them higher than ICE but have no opinion on the reliability of the MME to date. First 3 years don't count. Does reliability have anything to do with cash saved on gas and/or maintenance? Who would take those ratings seriously?

I only have two reliability concerns about this car.
1. The liquid cooling system seems horrifically over-complicated with a lot of potential leak points.
2. The brakes aren’t well “balanced” if that’s the right term. Park on any sort of hill and there can be a ton of rocking. Sometimes it lurches back fairly dramatically when parked uphill and that strain can’t be good long term.
1. I have maybe once had a hose leak. An old one I installed in the 39 chev. In my trucks the rad core and nipples normally rust out and start leaking before the hoses and clip connectors. Do not let Sandy manipulate you. You are getting sleepy.

2. It rolls back a few inches and no lurching here. It is called a park pin and with a park pin there is no rocking. The feeling of it clicking in should make you feel comfortable that it is parked. Definitely not something that has ever broke in all the trannies I have owned. Never had one roll down a hill with a park pin either.

Had initial bad software for the 12V after charging and a defective module that brought me to the dealer under warranty. With tech these things happen, intel, nvidia, amd all them. That is not reliability. Those are foreseen warranty issues for the unlucky. Pull it out of the pile and you get this chip which is lucky for you as it OC's like snot but not all in the pile do.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
Thanks for posting.
Reading it confirms my long ago decision to cancel my subscription—predicting reliability for a built from the ground-up EV based on ICE vehicles is a stretch. Sheesh.
I gave up on CA after the Suzuki Samurai court case. They love controversy and, while they certainly did find an issue with early 2017-18 Model 3s concerning anti-lock braking (firmware fixed via OTA update one day later, my car included), I see them create clickbait stories too often even now.

Excerpt from the court transcript (https://casetext.com/case/suzuki-motor-corp-v-consumers-union-of-us):

"
After Sheehan had completed his testing, CU removed the outriggers. CU driver Rick Small then drove the Samurai through the long course 21 times at speeds similar to those achieved by Sheehan. Again, there were no tip-ups. In his driver log, Small stated: "steering is slow, but it works — responds well and corrects quickly, leans normally, snaps back. Confidence fairly high. No real problem." On the basis of his test drives, Small rated the Samurai higher than the other three vehicles tested that day.

According to testimony by former CU employee Ron Denison, at some point during the long-course testing, which had not demonstrated any tip-ups of the Samurai, Landau told Sheehan: "If you can't find someone to roll this car, I will."

After Sheehan and Small had completed their test runs, Pittle, who was not a test driver, began to drive the Samurai through the long course. According to Pittle, he did so because he had never driven a small SUV and wanted to get a feel for how it handled through the course. Pittle took the car though the course 10 times, achieving a top speed of 49 miles per hour. On Pittle's tenth run, the Samurai tipped up on two wheels. Pittle stated that he did not purposefully cause the Samurai to tip up and that it was a startling and unexpected occurrence. When Pittle tipped the car, one onlooker yelled, "yeah!," while another shouted, "I think I got that, I think I got that."

"

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Do car makers often produce a single, suddenly reliable vehicle, after years of not doing that? I think you won't go too wrong looking at the past to see the future in either of these brand's cases.

People get too defensive about their purchases.
Hmmm... do you really think Tesla is going to make Yugo quality vehicles forever? No. They will get better. No way a Tesla made today can be as bad as one made a few years ago. They must be at least a little better.

Your statement implies "Tesla makes crap, and will forever make crap". Not true.

Same with Ford. Just because F-Series is great, do you think Mach-E will be great? Doesn't perfectly follow.

Does some company culture flow through to each model? Might be fair to say that. But things change. Look at FCA/Stellantis... they have both extremes, with some really good and really awful vehicles.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmmm... do you really think Tesla is going to make Yugo quality vehicles forever? No. They will get better. No way a Tesla made today can be as bad as one made a few years ago. They must be at least a little better.

Your statement implies "Tesla makes crap, and will forever make crap". Not true.

Same with Ford. Just because F-Series is great, do you think Mach-E will be great? Doesn't perfectly follow.

Does some company culture flow through to each model? Might be fair to say that. But things change. Look at FCA/Stellantis... they have both extremes, with some really good and really awful vehicles.
Agree we should not be bashing EV's and be more constructive. Who knows if the mme will be as reliable as my GMC 4x4's? Ball joints and brakes at the end (3rd gen and 30 years for me) but this tech is really easy on the brakes (my second with struts but 1995). Feels solid. Never know but I think Ford built a solid offering for the first year. 8 years 160000 Km on the e-systems is not bad but we will see. I will take one for the masses and drive one of these to test ;).

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
7 months 12000km, 1 trip for software upgrade. Did wheel rotation for the heck of it and they tried to upgrade me to an oil change.
The only issue so far is between the steering wheel and the drivers seat.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Between the two cars, We’re at a combined 13 months, 17,000 miles, and zero dealership interventions that I didn’t cause.
Sponsored