Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
They won’t. They probably get 100 ring doorbell crime videos a day.

How do they identify the person in the video?

Unlike the movies, they don’t use facial recognition software against a national database to track down the criminal.

Your absolute best case result will be that you actually KNOW the person who did it and you take them to small claims court.
Well, looks like in OPs area the caseload is such that they’re going to work it. Good for him even if they don’t end up finding her.
Sponsored

KennyPratt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
I would second this, you are likely going to get farther with mall security than the police. If you're lucky and they can get the plate number and video of them keying your car or at least outside their vehicle then take it back to the police.

OP
OP

Silentmache

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I would second this, you are likely going to get farther with mall security than the police. If you're lucky and they can get the plate number and video of them keying your car or at least outside their vehicle then take it back to the police.
When I spoke with mall security they said their cameras are run by the PD.

If the cameras saw the car stop next to me and the lady sticking her head out the window to have a few words with me and drive off, maybe they'll see that same lady go in between mine and the next car to do the damage... fingers crossed!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Seems like this was more crazy rage than EV rage, (which is also crazy). Worried someone is gonna do something to my car since it’s an EV or “not a Mustang”

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am so sorry this happened. 🤬🐩

OP
OP

Silentmache

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Seems like this was more crazy rage than EV rage, (which is also crazy). Worried someone is gonna do something to my car since it’s an EV or “not a Mustang”
I'm certain it was "crazy" rage, I'm doubtful the perp even knew it was an EV let alone a mustang 😂

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This makes me so angry this happened to you. I hope justice gets served. We all know that what goes around comes around and at least take comfort in knowing that good for nothing AH lost their coveted spot and had to walk.

One time I walked out from shopping and found the car across from me pulled in past the lines and pushed their front bumper and license plate hard into my front bumper, with all the cracks and gouges to go along with it. The moron left his car parked like that and went in to shop. Didn't even try to hide it! I weep for the future.

Get it fixed fast so it becomes a faint memory. In the meantime Karma will go to work on them, even if you can't.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Well, looks like in OPs area the caseload is such that they’re going to work it. Good for him even if they don’t end up finding her.
That’s awesome if they do. Must be nice to live somewhere the police have that kinda free time.

Around here you will get what you need to file an insurance claim (a police report).

Honestly though, I wouldn’t expect nor want them to spend more than 10 minutes on a one off vandalism crime like this. They have more important criminals to chase around here (unfortunately).

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not. It could help find her but we’ll never really know if she was the perpetrator, right? But, you’d be surprised at the power a quick police report and a visit from a detective to ask a few questions can have in getting someone to admit to a misdeed. And subsequently, some form of voluntary compensation from said perpetrator. Never know.
Very true. Plus often times they will agree to pay for the damages on the agreement you do not file charges. Sadly I most likely would agree to that just because having it repaired is more valuable to me than the principle of the matter and it is not like anything will get done. Generally being force to pay up is enough to make them not do it again as they got caught.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
I’d be very surprised if a detective is willing to help to catch someone who keyed a car. (I’m not born in US and heard so many stories that police officers just say ‘let it go if no one was killed’ for most minor crimes.)
A year ago my Delorean was a victim of a hit and run driver. There was surveillance footage and two witnesses, one of which had just had a conversation with the other driver and was willing to attest to the fact that he was drunk. Both witnesses got the plate number. The driver backed into my car. Got out, surveyed the damage, got back in the truck and drove away, drunk.

The officer that took the report advised me that the detective assigned to the case would collect the surveillance footage and contact me about pressing charges and to stay out of it.

After several calls a week later I learned that the Detective never followed up and the footage had expired. I spoke to the witnesses and got the name of the other driver and gave it to my insurance company and looked it up myself. Out-of-state registration which had expired several years before. He had no insurance. He refused to pay even my deductible. My insurance company indicated he had a long history of incidents but refused to comment further.

The police had him dead to rights on Driving without insurance or registration, hit and run, and could at least have warned him on drunk driving. To this day they have not even bother to officially file a report let alone pursue the case.

At some point, someone he has done wrong will have access to a beater, remove the plates, and go slam it into his truck in his driveway a few times in the middle of the night when he is passed out drunk and drive away knowing the local police won't give a damned. I'm not saying that will be me, I don't have a beater, and I'm not sure if I'm that vindictive or not.

Don't count on the cops doing anything unless you happen to hit one of their personal cars by accident.

alroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Standard w/ AWD
Country flag
Yikes! Wish we had a sentry mode like Tesla. Anyone using a dashcam that runs on the car's idle battery? This is one of my biggest fears

Moomin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 civic hybrid - upgrading to MME 4 Premium
Country flag
We had a hit and run driver too in San Jose a long time ago. Wife was driving and he rear ended us at 10am on a Sunday. He proceeded to drive around us through traffic. I was on my phone with 911 running after him on foot trying to get the plate since traffic was slow. Just happened to see a PoPo van on a side street, quickly flagged him down and they chased him until he pulled over about another 5 blocks away. Guy didn't speak English until they realized he was drunk. .28 on a Sunday morning :rolleyes:. Went to the back of our car to check the damage and his plate number was actually "embossed" in our bumper.

Woodchuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Mustang GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry to see that brother... That just isn't right.......

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Two ways to avoid this: 1) Don't park near any other cars. 2) Whenever in doubt let the other person have the spot, never force the issue.
Yep. The other day a woman was standing right in the middle of a prime parking spot in the middle of a heavily trafficked downtown area. I asked her if I could park there, and she said she was saving it for someone. My instincts would of had me back right over her foot, but wisdom told me to wish her well and find another spot.
Sponsored