Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I was born and raised in Cincinnati. I no longer live there. It's a good place to be from.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
GT's 1PD worked better on than off in the snow for me. I was pleasantly surprised. I drive in Whisper mode 100% of the time though so maybe that's the difference.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Here in NE Ohio with considerably more snow, I drove in Whisper and L. I always usually drive in 1pd, but found the regen too strong in sloppy conditions. And yes, the OTHER drivers are a problem. Almost wiped out with a pickup passing me yesterday that hit slush and did a 180 right in front of me. The Mach E handled great in avoiding the crash.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GT in Cincinnati snow storm - driving experience & feedback 1C74676A-C47C-4D56-B7CA-31D9C06E766E

mlhunt856

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium 4X, 2021 GT
Country flag
I would also say that in my brief experience driving my wife's Premium 4x in a couple inches of slushy snow, I preferred Whisper/1PD on. Controlling decel was smoother and more predictable and I didn't have to use the brakes at all. I can see how it might be different for the RWD models though.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
In reference to your previous stick shift cars, I can't imagine why anyone would choose 2 wheel braking over 4 wheel braking in slippery conditions. Much the same as 4wd helps accelerate in slippery conditions by using the traction of all 4 wheels, brakes at all 4 corners would be far more effective at slowing down than engine braking which only slows the driven wheels. Perhaps if braking and turning with RWD before the age of ABS this may be a way to divide the slowing and turning duties but still seems like a less than ideal way to drive in the slippery. This is coming from someone who has driven many stick shift cars through Wisconsin winters.
Many articles claim 4wd braking does nothing when compared go fwd only braking.

Shekhar

First Name
Sudhanshu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Pricing Advisor
Country flag
Here in NE Ohio with considerably more snow, I drove in Whisper and L. I always usually drive in 1pd, but found the regen too strong in sloppy conditions. And yes, the OTHER drivers are a problem. Almost wiped out with a pickup passing me yesterday that hit slush and did a 180 right in front of me. The Mach E handled great in avoiding the crash.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E GT in Cincinnati snow storm - driving experience & feedback 6754723C-158F-4B6E-9120-E6DF218DD6ED
Good to see you neighbor

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
It's a known issue when driving on odd numbered roads. Just drive on even numbered roads and you'll triple your range. It's on the internet so it must be true. ?

As for the 1PD, I think I disagree. I took Scarlett out tonight to grab takeout, and 1PD seemed to be harder to keep surefooted compared to with it off. When I had stick shift ponies I always used the clutch to slow down in snow and I thought 1PD would be the same, but the granularity of control was too little. That is, it felt too hard to feather properly to slow down gradually without slipping and/or the ABS kicking in. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to adjust to it, but I've seen others make the same comment about 1PD.
Just a comment about 1PD. It does take some getting used to in order to decelerate smoothly. ICE drivers are not used to smoothly lifting their foot up on the accelerator pedal (aka the "velocity selector").

OP
OP
ElectrifyCLT

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Hit us with some citations please so we can evaluate those claims. Thanks!
Hit Google or consumer report. Easy pickng.
It's an irrelevant conversation for the Mach E, as there is no FWD model, only RWD. Majority of braking on a car is done on the front wheels, so it makes sense that there are a number of RWD folks on here saying 1PD is less stable for them if the 1PD mode doesn't blend friction brakes on the front axel.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Many articles claim 4wd braking does nothing when compared go fwd only braking.
Perhaps but there are no fwd versions of the Mustang Coupe or EV so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I found the car did very well in the snow in my usual engaged 2 pedal mode. Drove the same loop in the Sierra’s with it and my honda CRV. MME starts and stops better but will slip on moderately hard cornering, probably due to weight and narrow tires. It is a premium 4x extended range. Find the GOM to be overly pessimistic. Lose maybe 10% range in actuality, but GOM predicts 40% loss.

C3A9B87F-E829-4DED-BF6D-07578AE46888.jpeg

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
It's an irrelevant conversation for the Mach E, as there is no FWD model, only RWD. Majority of braking on a car is done on the front wheels, so it makes sense that there are a number of RWD folks on here saying 1PD is less stable for them if the 1PD mode doesn't blend friction brakes on the front axel.
There is no advantage for braking using an awd system in any vehicle.
Sponsored