mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Maybe this is what Europe is getting? (not really full matrix headlights, but better than what we have in the US)

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
The Audio system is called Digital Matrix LED (DML). It has million pixels. On the highway, it'll illuminate a rectangle ("light carpet") in your lane of travel. If you signal to change lanes, it will extend the rectangle to the new lane and once you've switched, the part of the rectangle in the old lane will turn off.

If you're passing a pedestrian, it'll flash light on the pedestrian so the driver sees them (probably annoying if they're walking towards you, but it's much better if the driver doesn't hit the pedestrian).

Not to mention masking out other cars (in the same direction of travel or oncoming cars) — standard for matrix headlights, but this sounds like it's much more precisely controlled.

Really cool stuff.

Here's an overview of the Audi system:

Here's a good overview of headlights in general and the situation in the US:

OP
OP
mattbostonmache

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
So, Arstechnica just came out with an article on the Audio e-tron Sportback and they say the American version will have the option of matrix headlights!! I don't see that on the Audio USA web site, so I can't verify. But this sounds very promising!

For MY2021, US-bound e-tron Sportbacks will have the option to be fitted with digital matrix headlights. The technology uses a 1.2 megapixel LED that projects a beam that can be constantly adjusted so that you can still have your high beams on and not blind oncoming drivers. But like the laser headlights Audi wanted to import in 2014, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards make no allowance for anything other than simple high and low beams. So while US-spec e-tron Sportbacks with these headlights will delight and amuse the driver (and any onlookers) with a range of animations when the car is turned on or off, they won't do much else that the normal headlights won't do.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0...back-style-to-its-newest-e-tron-electric-car/

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So, Arstechnica just came out with an article on the Audio e-tron Sportback and they say the American version will have the option of matrix headlights!! I don't see that on the Audio USA web site, so I can't verify. But this sounds very promising!

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/0...back-style-to-its-newest-e-tron-electric-car/
yeah but for now it's just a party trick. It does mean if the rules change though, they will be ready to go hardware-wise.

RobertP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
Our Mercedes Benz C-class also has the (optional) adaptive led matrix headlights. We almost always leave the lights on high-beam. It's amazing to see the the lights dim in front of a coming vehilce but still have high beam on the sides of the road. It also dims towards pedestrians and cyclists in a smaller beam.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
So all Mustang editions have the same Rear Lights?
All get the ones shown in the video below, or are the signal lights different from rear lights?

How on earth did a thread on headlights suddenly revert to rear lights when these weren't even mentioned

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
How on earth did a thread on headlights suddenly revert to rear lights when these weren't even mentioned
To be fair at least it has a passing connection to the thread. Some of the other threads on the forum have been on many long and winding roads before returning to the main point! ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
To be fair at least it has a passing connection to the thread. Some of the other threads on the forum have been on many long and winding roads before returning to the main point! ?
okay everyone you heard it here - @Mercury8 wants dog pictures, a Start button discussion, maybe something about Netflix, and a long discussion on where exactly 72kw chargers should be. Let's make him proud!
[runs away]

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
okay everyone you heard it here - @Mercury8 wants dog pictures, a Start button discussion, maybe something about Netflix, and a long discussion on where exactly 72kw chargers should be. Let's make him proud!
[runs away]
Troublemaker!? I’m more of a cat person anyway? And I’m not going to even mention Tiger King......oops?

Nugatti

First Name
Aleksander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I want to revive this thread now that people have started receiving their cars.
  1. What is the capability of the Mach E "adaptive LED signature headlights" vs "LED projector headlights?
  2. What is the difference between the US and EU versions of the above?
In my 2016 Mustang GT, the US and EU version of the headlights are quite different. The US got tri-bar day time running lights and high power beams. The EU got no DRL, and low-power beams. Supposedly because of lack of headlight washer system.
I see that the Mach E is also lacking a headlight washer system, and I'm worried that the EU lights are gimped because of it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The EU headlights probably require a different control module or at least different programming, so you could not just swap them into the holders for NA headlights.

The Select comes with LED Reflector Headlights with Auto High Beam that didn't make it to IIHS Top Pick. The Premium and higher have LED Projector Headlamps with Auto High Beam that allowed the Mach E Premium to get the IIHS Top Safety Pick. These are brighter and provide enhanced down road visibility.

PicassoPC

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CaRt1, 2011 Nissan Leaf
Country flag
The EU headlights probably require a different control module or at least different programming, so you could not just swap them into the holders for NA headlights.

The Select comes with LED Reflector Headlights with Auto High Beam that didn't make it to IIHS Top Pick. The Premium and higher have LED Projector Headlamps with Auto High Beam that allowed the Mach E Premium to get the IIHS Top Safety Pick. These are brighter and provide enhanced down road visibility.
The only regret I have about buying the California Route 1 edition is the reflector headlights and standard audio system. I would have paid for those upgrades without hesitation.
Sponsored