Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Vancouver is the same. The left coast has jumped on the EV train.
I think I've seen more EVs in Canada, driving from Maine to around Sudbury, Ontario, than I saw in the US driving from Maine to northeast Ohio. It seems like Canada has jumped on the EV train, at least more so than parts of the US.

SolarAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Writer
Country flag
I think I've seen more EVs in Canada, driving from Maine to around Sudbury, Ontario, than I saw in the US driving from Maine to northeast Ohio. It seems like Canada has jumped on the EV train, at least more so than parts of the US.
Canada is now in the top ten countries for EV sales

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E now second best selling EV SUV in the US EV sales 2023

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
The price of Canada's liquid fuel might have something to do with that.

nuMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AWD
Occupation
eng tech
Country flag
sitting at ~ $2/ liter in my area , so x 3.78 = $7.50/us gal (sep 14/2023)
fuel savings more than covers my mme payment and electricity.

calling it even , still the time suck of maintenance, etc., filling up at home - benefits one doesnt appreciate till you experience it.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The truth is, the MME costs more than the Model Y of similar spec, but it has better build quality. I’ve been in 6 MMEs, all were put together well.

fxo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
frankober.net
Vehicles
Ram 1500, CX-5, Fit, C-Max, XTerra
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
It is funny I live in California where gasoline is $5,50 to $7 a gallon and so all I see are Rivian's, MME's, and of course we are inundated with Tesla's. It is essentially those 3 makers right now ...

No Lyriq's , and Bolt is pretty rare, but I see them. MY is everywhere.

And no, Ford runs commercials for their gassers out here.

I try to tell my friend's not to buy a hybrid car because gasoline is headed to $10 a gallon out here, but some people are stubborn about the things that are not mentally rated.

People over estimate their daily drive for sure. Also it costs 1/2 what it costs when gasoline is $6 a gallon to use an EV. And EVs simply "need less maintenance for the first 10 years". I have seen Tesla's with 300,000 miles on them.

ICE cars are pretty amazing for all their complexity but they simply can't compete long term. Not at $6 OR A LOT MORE, per gallon.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I try to tell my friend's not to buy a hybrid car because gasoline is headed to $10 a gallon out here, but some people are stubborn about the things that are not mentally rated.
"Common sense ain't common."

Will Rogers

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
For those in California, if you have any insight into it, how are they doing on charging in apartments/condos? I feel this is the next big wall for EVs as I see many people that are "EV Curious" or even enthusiastic, but when you bring up charging at home, they are either renting and don't want to bother with getting approval to install an L2 (not much anyone can do about that), or they are in an apartment/condo situation where charging either doesn't exist or they have one or two installs for a complex of hundreds of people.

Curious if anyone in other states has seen momentum on that front, but with California's seemingly outsize adoption rate, I am just wondering if they have been doing more for those users.

fxo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
frankober.net
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Newer apartment buildings, and there are a lot of these in California, do have L2 charging setups. It is the older ones that the problems still exist. But in some of those areas people can rent EVs short term or use public transit.

A lot of public spaces now have Tesla charging bays. Places you wouldn't think, like a new restaurant opened up this summer in my town, 12 new Tesla chargers with it.

Charging infra is changing quickly at least on the West Coast where EV penetration is about 20-30% of new car registrations now. That's a good number it will cross 50% soon enough...

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
For those in California, if you have any insight into it, how are they doing on charging in apartments/condos? I feel this is the next big wall for EVs as I see many people that are "EV Curious" or even enthusiastic, but when you bring up charging at home, they are either renting and don't want to bother with getting approval to install an L2 (not much anyone can do about that), or they are in an apartment/condo situation where charging either doesn't exist or they have one or two installs for a complex of hundreds of people.

Curious if anyone in other states has seen momentum on that front, but with California's seemingly outsize adoption rate, I am just wondering if they have been doing more for those users.
A lot of municipalities and localities have baked into their code the requirement for EV charging for some part of the parking in new multi-family dwellings. It varies by city and town. Some have had requirements for many years, while others are relatively new. The state has enacted more uniform code as of January 1, 2023 for new multi-family dwellings (apartments and hotels). 😊🐩

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Thank you! That's promising, hoping to see more states adopt at least new buildings having the L2 infrastructure.

fxo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
frankober.net
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
It is funny. I wrote a post that MME and Lightning ads are not really on TV here in Califorina. Well that has changed, I have been watching baseball (NLCS, ALCS), and Ford has quite a program going of commercials for the Mach-E.

They even post a message at the end of the commercial saying allocations are arriving at California dealers now.

Ford is clearly trying to spur demand. Price of fuel in California is very high, $5 or even higher. And only will trend higher, almost all people who live on the West Coast know fuel is not going to get cheaper.

So if you own a home and can install a $1,000 charger it makes sense for the long term.

Not to mention the other benefits of EV over liquid fuel.
Sponsored