Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Anyone know what the "one bar" adaptive cruise control distance is on the Mach E?
Here is the chart of the bar settings for the adaptive cruise on my Lincoln SUV. I would expect similar on the Mach E. The gap is speed dependent.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Real World Range Test - The Smoking Tire Adaptive Distance.JPG

Does anyone one know what the background music for the video was? Clearly on a short loop, but very relaxing.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Here is the chart of the bar settings for the adaptive cruise on my Lincoln SUV. I would expect similar on the Mach E. The gap is speed dependent.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Real World Range Test - The Smoking Tire Adaptive Distance.JPG

Does anyone one know what the background music for the video was? Clearly on a short loop, but very relaxing.
So the number of bars is the number of asshats that will pull in front of you at a time to get to their destination slightly faster?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Clearly there needs to be a little, skinny bar for drafting mode :p

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
At 73F I was kind of hoping it would exceed epa, but oh well. I guess it's still very good. Those how's my driving numbers are terrible. I think that means that the radar cruise control isn't very inefficient.
Not at speeds of over 70 mph until he hit Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway in that area) on the return, then the speeds could be 60 ish for a ways after a Oxnard.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The range is what you'd expect from the EPA numbers. No real surprises. I don't know his route but going to the coast usually means going downhill, and a steady 70 MPH does't require as much energy as a freeway commute. Unless it's like the 405 in which case 375 miles would not be surprising.

Actually tuck in behind a Semi and you'll get way, way above EPA. In scaled wind-tunnel tests, driving 100 feet behind a semi at 55 mph will reduce drag on your car by 40%.
I was doing this back in 2008. I wasn't on the bumper, so reasonably safe, but the Semi in front of me ran over a deer -- the deer was dead and the Semi was high enough to just run over it. My car didn't have the same clearance and wasn't so lucky! No real damage but I decided to skip the Semi drafting from then on.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The range is what you'd expect from the EPA numbers. No real surprises. I don't know his route but going to the coast usually means going downhill, and a steady 70 MPH does't require as much energy as a freeway commute. Unless it's like the 405 in which case 375 miles would not be surprising.

I was doing this back in 2008. I wasn't on the bumper, so reasonably safe, but the Semi in front of me ran over a deer -- the deer was dead and the Semi was high enough to just run over it. My car didn't have the same clearance and wasn't so lucky! No real damage but I decided to skip the Semi drafting from then on.
The 405 to 101 the North a bit past Santa Barbara. There's not much downhill on that. And a modest incline to get up the hill to Oxnard. The return was in Highway 1 from Oxnard. Slower and eventually city driving.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Actually, as @OutofSpecKyle would point out, he made a rookie mistake when trying to compute "real world range" in a BEV: you ALWAYS use the same roads at the same speed bidirectionally to cancel out wind and elevation effects.

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Actually, as @OutofSpecKyle would point out, he made a rookie mistake when trying to compute "real world range" in a BEV: you ALWAYS use the same roads at the same speed bidirectionally to cancel out wind and elevation effects.
If I had to guess, that was his original plan too for an out-and-back but he called an audible and changed up his drive plan going from a pseudo-scientific test to an approximation of an all day road excursion. I think he made the right decision.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
The EPA range is calculated at a much lower average speed. No EV on the market matches its EPA range when driven at 70mph.
I was also thinking of that, if he got that with 72-73mph then he could reach more miles at 60... Then more at 50 most likely

JoeSmoeFromIDontKnow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER (canceled)
Country flag
At 73F I was kind of hoping it would exceed epa, but oh well. I guess it's still very good. Those how's my driving numbers are terrible.
No, 73F was from the screenshot after the trip when he was reviewing the data.
He replied in the YouTube comments that the trip started in the low 50's and went up to the high 60's by the end:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Real World Range Test - The Smoking Tire temps.PNG

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Actually tuck in behind a Semi and you'll get way, way above EPA. In scaled wind-tunnel tests, driving 100 feet behind a semi at 55 mph will reduce drag on your car by 40%. The drag reduction increases as you approach the bumper of the truck until you get a 93% drag reduction at a distance of 2 feet. Don't recommend you try for the 93%! :)
That's so true..I like to follow semis when hauling the travel trailer (if I catch a semi that had a driving speed that matches my needs)

Consumption goes from 29l/100 to about 20l/100 km when I do that

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
No, 73F was from the screenshot after the trip when he was reviewing the data.
He replied in the YouTube comments that the trip started in the low 50's and went up to the high 60's by the end:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Real World Range Test - The Smoking Tire temps.PNG
He was wearing a sleeveless jacket during the trip so it surely wasn't 73F

Pay attention people lol...sorry!!!

wareagle1440

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
He was wearing a sleeveless jacket during the trip so it surely wasn't 73F

Pay attention people lol...sorry!!!
It’s LA. If you want entertainment, go look up what people in Southern California consider cold and their reactions. It’s amazing.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
There is a car that can beat it’s EPA range. The Taycan beat its EPA rating at 70mph.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
If I had to guess, that was his original plan too for an out-and-back but he called an audible and changed up his drive plan going from a pseudo-scientific test to an approximation of an all day road excursion. I think he made the right decision.
TL;DR: it wasn't scientific, it wasn't supposed to be.

I took it as deliberately meant to be an off-the-cuff "let's just see what we can do here in a real world setup" kind of thing, not any kind of "scientific" measurement.

Even a "scientific" setup would need to be more than just the same route both ways - if you really wanted to compare, you'd need close to the same temperature outside and close to the same weather (e. g. no rain)... even making sure the electronics being charged were the same and starting at the same level of charge... basically trying to control for all the things that impact range.

Realistically, you'd have to do it in a lab building if you really wanted it end to end controlled... the best you could do is Mythbusters-level (mentioning mainly because of the video above) of control which would be "good enough" for most normal people, but still wouldn't really be ideal.
Sponsored