OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
It’s LA. If you want entertainment, go look up what people in Southern California consider cold and their reactions. It’s amazing.
Oh I'm sure there is lots of fun stuff to see!!!

Would love to see them here for a -28C day, while we are out skiing!!! LOL
Sponsored

Reactions: abr

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took it as deliberately meant to be an off-the-cuff "let's just see what we can do here in a real world setup" kind of thing, not any kind of "scientific" measurement.

Even a "scientific" setup would need to be more than just the same route both ways - if you really wanted to compare, you'd need close to the same temperature outside and close to the same weather (e. g. no rain)... even making sure the electronics being charged were the same and starting at the same level of charge... basically trying to control for all the things that impact range.
Exactly. That's why I actually like to see these videos that show the mileage in various conditions, because there is no single perfect driving condition. I care about real world usage, not what it gets in the lab.

There's really 2 main purposes for the numbers: (1) estimating how far we can go between charges in the car we're buying, and (2) comparing one car model to another. For #2, the "consistent" lab results are needed. But once people have decided on which model they're buying (like most of us here), it's #1 that matters. And for that I want to see a variety of real road tests.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Oh I'm sure there is lots of fun stuff to see!!!

Would love to see them here for a -28C day, while we are out skiing!!! LOL
That's why we're still in Socal - so we won't see a -28C day. A day in the 60'sF would have us wearing a light jacket! :p If I want to see snow, I just look up at the local mountains at 12,000 feet. Snow is very pretty from a distance.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
That's why we're still in Socal - so we won't see a -28C day. A day in the 60'sF would have us wearing a light jacket! :p If I want to see snow, I just look up at the local mountains at 12,000 feet. Snow is very pretty from a distance.
Ah come on...

You need to experience winter... It is fun... Even driving is more fun in the snow

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I have in person, but mostly from a distance! BTW - what are winter tires?
Tires with bigger thread patterns and also a softer compound that starts softer in temperature to allow better grip

Reactions: abr

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The EPA range is calculated at a much lower average speed. No EV on the market matches its EPA range when driven at 70mph.
Not true. @OutofSpecKyle got significantly more range than EPA ratingfrom a Taycan in his 70 mph test.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The 405 to 101 the North a bit past Santa Barbara. There's not much downhill on that.
Speed not terrain. I mentioned the 405 because it is (dis)affectionally known as the 4 or 5. The silver lining for BEVs is that when the speed goes way down your range goes way up.

I care about real world usage, not what it gets in the lab.

There's really 2 main purposes for the numbers: (1) estimating how far we can go between charges in the car we're buying, and (2) comparing one car model to another. For #2, the "consistent" lab results are needed.
It's far easier to extrapolate the lab to real world than vice versa. The real world tests are all anecdotal and are only useful to the extent they suggest a problem with the lab tests. So they identify that Tesla range numbers are inflated and the Taycan numbers are deflated. But for actually estimating range they are more or less useless.

Yeah, though one can argue what happened with the EPA estimates on the Taycan that lead to the low number.
I wouldn't think this was a secret. The EPA Highway estimates (not the Highway drive cycle) are based on a far more aggressive drive cycle than you'd get going a steady 70 MPH and doesn't allow the Taycan to use its two gears for greater efficiency.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's far easier to extrapolate the lab to real world than vice versa.
They're often poor extrapolations though, since there's so many factors that dramatically effect range, by often differing margins for each model. Thus the need for real-world examples that include the concerning degradation factors.

Obviously ONE anecdotal example doesn't tell the whole story. But one that includes the general scenario one is interested in is typically FAR closer than EPA. Just like when I take my first drives of varying conditions in my MME, it will give me a much better idea of what to expect on future drives than EPA does.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Speed not terrain. I mentioned the 405 because it is (dis)affectionally known as the 4 or 5. The silver lining for BEVs is that when the speed goes way down your range goes way up.
I always called it the 405 Parking Lot.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla y gets you about 3.5?
My 2020 Long Range AWD Y gets 242 wh/mi at 70 mph, temps 55-70F, approximately 120 mile drive from Delaware to Northern Virginia. On the drive back, it's 247 wh/mi. That's 4.05-4.13 miles per kWh.
Sponsored