Mach-E shifts a bit when parking?

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Can it freeze like traditional parking brakes? Granted I’ve never actually seen a parking brake freeze, but everything I’ve read about them recommends that they not be used in winter.
Sponsored

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Can it freeze like traditional parking brakes? Granted I’ve never actually seen a parking brake freeze, but everything I’ve read about them recommends that they not be used in winter.
The traditional parking brake freeze is the steel cable in the sleeve, yes the brakes themselves could freeze up, but i have not heard of this.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I've never had this happen on my Fusion Energi in almost 8 years of Ohio winters, and I use the parking brake every single time.

I realize this is anecdata and not a factual answer to your question.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Having my entire driving career (until I get the MME) be on manual transmissions, I will say that I've always applied the parking brake (and left the transmission in 2nd gear) when I park. I've had many makes and models and never had any issues with PA winters.

Does the Electronic Parking Brake drain battery?
As others posited, I would think not. Reflecting back on my work experience with trains (more in common with EV's than you'd think), a lot of the brakes are spring applied and power released. That way it only takes power to remove the brake application (fail-safe design). My current ICE car has an electronic parking brake and I haven't had any issues with it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
As others posited, I would think not. Reflecting back on my work experience with trains (more in common with EV's than you'd think), a lot of the brakes are spring applied and power released. That way it only takes power to remove the brake application (fail-safe design). My current ICE car has an electronic parking brake and I haven't had any issues with it.
if the 12V is dead, the parking brake will be "stuck" - this is documented in the Mach-E manual, and I can tell you from experience in my Fusion Energi it is a thing. but you have other problems at that point of course.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
For reference I came from a 2017 Ecoboost mustang and every time I parked backwards or forwards, my car barely ever moved when I put it in park.

However, my Mach-E gives me heart attacks every time I park it. If I park backwards, it shifts backwards a bit. If I park forwards, it shifts forwards a bit.
whether you use auto-hold, or not,
put the parking brake on BEFORE shifting to P...
this is good practice for any automatic transmission to reduce the strain on the pawls
Sponsored