Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You know, the Mustang enthusiasts love to show off their monster muscle cars - and I love to see them, too.

However, no-one seems to want to remember the base model '67 that was no muscle car, just a sporty car. And we also never hear anything mentioned about the Mustang II with the tiny 4-banger in there, appearing sometime after the '73 oil crisis.

There is no doubt that the recent decades have brought us the greatest Mustang ground-pounders ever seen, and again, I love to see them all. But I cannot abide by all the moaning and groaning about the Mustang Mach-E not being a real Mustang - not when I tended to that 4-banger '74 Mustang II that I bought used for my kids to drive back-and-forth to High School, back in the early 90s.

To me, this is simply the latest evolution in a storied line of vehicles. I also think that some of the owners of the ground-pounders are going to be surprised at the performance of the GT when they start coming available.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get that off my chest.

smp
Stephen, you may be right. Maybe this is the evolution of the Mustang and they are starting with an SUV type first. Speaking of the base '67 not being a muscle car, my first mustang was a '64 with a straight 6 based on the falcon chassis and was certainly nothing to write home about. I had several "muscle car" Mustangs after that with my favorite being my '70 Mach 1 428 SCJ. Then it went downhill from there and hate to admit it but I did have a '75 Mustang ll but at least it had a 5.0 V-8 however with the least amount of HP I have ever had in one. ?

I will be very surprised if the GT/PE will be close to a ICE GT or any of the Shelby's in the handling department. While I know they will be fast, I just can't see how you can hide an extra 1200+ lbs and a higher overall COG. My Mach-E is super fun to drive but is no mountain carver and while I do have a GT/PE on order, I don't expect there to be a huge improvement in the handling. Sure it will be tighter and have the magneride shocks but again there is only so much you can do with that extra weight. We shall see and I may be proven wrong but comparing it will be easy against my GT500. I will have to say, the Mach-E as it is right now is the best handling SUV I have driven but then I have not driven all that many.

smp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Mark, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Yeah, I meant to say '64 as the original version of the Mustang - just my usual typo there that you found. :)

I've always aspired to own a high-performance Mustang, but the occasion never materialized for me. I've had other high-performance vehicles along the way, a couple of Corvettes, a couple of Mercedes SLKs, and a couple of Porsche Boxsters, so I know exactly what you're talking about. The Mustang Mach-E is a fine car, but not in the same category as those cars, nor the high-performance Mustangs currently available.

I don't think the GT PE will outdo any of the big boys, let alone the Shelbys or the latest Mach 1... well, maybe the latest Mach 1 owners could be the ones who are most surprised at the GT PE straight line performance. At any rate, I believe that the GT PE performance will be impressive, and a point of pride for any of their owners.

You're right about the extra weight of the batteries, but it is (thankfully) all down low, so it should be an advantage on handling, as it is in the current stable of Mach-Es. I eagerly wait to hear how the Magna-ride suspension will perform in the Mach-E.

So much for my rambling. Thanks again for the thoughtful response. I just wanted to vent a bit about the fact that the Mustang has not *always* been the biggest, meat-eatingest horse around.

smp

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Went to a family gathering this past weekend. One of our relatives parents own a 65 they bought new. Single owner. Was were the first person we have talked to that went right up and looked at our 6000 group Vin and said good job, you got one of the earliest vins.

We call it a Mustang. I find saying MachE annoying.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Well, we call it the Mach E almost exclusively even to me “it’s a Mustang”, because the only people who have authority say whether it’s a Mustang say that it is. But Mach E is just easier to say. My wife overhead something funny while I was ferrying luggage to our room while our Mach E was parked outside a swanky hotel in SoCal. The fact that the conversation was in “Valley Girl” is key?

Girl 1: Oh look, that’s the new electric Mustang.
Girl 2: Shut up.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
The folks from this forum I have met in person are a lot like me - former Mustang owners (65 in high school), who still like the name and the sportiness of the brand. Most of us are past the "coupe" days and like something with a little more room. The MME fits the bill perfectly. I still love the Mustang badge and love seeing ICE Mustangs, but am very happy to be on the sporty side of the EV world with this car. I really do look forward to driving it every day.

peoples1234

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I call it a Mustang. I’ve owned ICE Mustangs, and while it is different, I believe it captures the essence of a Mustang from a lot of different perspectives.

I can get the rear end sliding around a turn pretty well as well, so that’s a plus to me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I call it an electric Mustang. I consider it to be "sort of" Mustang ownership and recognize Mustang Coupe owners feel the same about us -- at best. I don't buy into #notamustang but do recognize it's a new breed of pony that was added to the stable.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have friends with Mach-1s, and they just call them ”Mach-1.” ”Mustang Mach-E” is a little bit of a mouth full, so I’m following like a sheep and once I get mine it will be “Mach-E.”

Reactions: smp

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Kinda get it. Always wanted a mustang just like everyone, but could never find the oomph! to spring for such an impractical car and the through the roof insurance cost, again just like everyone. Without the Mach-E there is almost no chance I would have purchased a Mustang. The Mach-E is the only Mustang the I trust My Wife and Daughters behind the wheel on.

Reactions: smp

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
You know, the Mustang enthusiasts love to show off their monster muscle cars - and I love to see them, too.

However, no-one seems to want to remember the base model '67 ‘64 that was no muscle car, just a sporty car. And we also never hear anything mentioned about the Mustang II with the tiny 4-banger in there, appearing sometime after the '73 oil crisis.

There is no doubt that the recent decades have brought us the greatest Mustang ground-pounders ever seen, and again, I love to see them all. But I cannot abide by all the moaning and groaning about the Mustang Mach-E not being a real Mustang - not when I tended to that 4-banger '74 Mustang II that I bought used for my kids to drive back-and-forth to High School, back in the early 90s.

To me, this is simply the latest evolution in a storied line of vehicles. I also think that some of the owners of the ground-pounders are going to be surprised at the performance of the GT when they start coming available.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get that off my chest.

smp
I totally understand where you’re coming from, and I’m not trying to pick a fight.
To me, every Mustang built has had 2 doors that access the passenger compartment. That is where my objection comes from. Even this mid ‘70’s Mustang II’s were 2 door coupes. I really like my Mach-E, and I completely understand that it is much more useful with the extra set of doors, but that’s part of what makes it not a Mustang in my mind.
I absolutely LOVE this car, but I wish they had called it anything but a Mustang.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Stephen, you may be right. Maybe this is the evolution of the Mustang and they are starting with an SUV type first. Speaking of the base '67 not being a muscle car, my first mustang was a '64 with a straight 6 based on the falcon chassis and was certainly nothing to write home about. I had several "muscle car" Mustangs after that with my favorite being my '70 Mach 1 428 SCJ. Then it went downhill from there and hate to admit it but I did have a '75 Mustang ll but at least it had a 5.0 V-8 however with the least amount of HP I have ever had in one. ?

I will be very surprised if the GT/PE will be close to a ICE GT or any of the Shelby's in the handling department. While I know they will be fast, I just can't see how you can hide an extra 1200+ lbs and a higher overall COG. My Mach-E is super fun to drive but is no mountain carver and while I do have a GT/PE on order, I don't expect there to be a huge improvement in the handling. Sure it will be tighter and have the magneride shocks but again there is only so much you can do with that extra weight. We shall see and I may be proven wrong but comparing it will be easy against my GT500. I will have to say, the Mach-E as it is right now is the best handling SUV I have driven but then I have not driven all that many.
If you need a second driver for either car to compare them heads up… holla at ya boy. ? #helpful
???

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

First Name
Terrance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 GT500, 17 GT350R, 15 GT3, 00 Lightning, 91 Fox
Occupation
Wheel Whore
Country flag
What’s even worse is my apprehension to even call it a car.... this Mach-E is a doozy....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.