AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
I can tell you this. from people I know that have EV. It is correct about 30% faster tire wear. If you rotate and not hard you might get 25%.

But no oil changes and brakes so it's a great trade-off.
My nephew's model 3 has 28,000 miles on the original tires and he got 42,000 out of his model s before having to get a new set.
Had my BMW i3 for 23000mi. It got new tires at 16k
Had BoltEV for 21000mi. It got new ones at 12k
Sponsored

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
The original factory tires never last as long as the same model tire bought later because the auto manufacturer has enough clout to have them manufactured with a softer rubber to facilitate smooth as possible test drives.

I have had factory tires wear out in just over 20,000 miles on a Prius and a Leaf that were not that fast.
My 2010 Fusion Hybrid has 282K miles on it and I'm on the 3rd set of tires (originals and 2 replacements). OEM lasted just over 100k miles. Granted, no snow, ice and little rain . . . .
I certainly don't expect the MME tires to last that long with a vehicle that weights 1000+ lbs more.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Since you brought up Prius and Leaf, I want to provide a counter anecdote: the OEM tires on current Ford lasted 55k miles. I replaced them due to damage, not tread wear.

Maybe the manufacturer using softer tires thing doesn't apply to Ford?
The original tires on my Focus Electric lasted just over 30k miles.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The original tires on my Focus Electric lasted just over 30k miles.
my C-Max is @ 45K, and still has original tires. On my Mazda Tribute, the original tires lasted 75K.
I’m not too confident with the tire repair kit and portable inflater they’ve included
I got quiet a bit of use of the included compressor when one of C-Max tires developed a very slow leak (I had to inflate every 2 weeks). I finally went to Discount Tire and they plugged it. Never used the repair kit. Someone I know used the compressor to go from flat to fully inflated on his C-Max in a little over 5 min.

All these are anecdotal and mean nothing.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
My 2010 Fusion Hybrid has 282K miles on it and I'm on the 3rd set of tires (originals and 2 replacements). OEM lasted just over 100k miles. Granted, no snow, ice and little rain . . . .
I certainly don't expect the MME tires to last that long with a vehicle that weights 1000+ lbs more.
You are very easy on tires and I commend you. You must drive the Fusion like a Saint. Do you think you will be able to drive the Stang that way? Keep it in Wisper Mode all the time? I suppose there may be exceptions to my claim that the OEM tires are made differently. Maybe Ford doesn't do that but my experience tells me that GM, Toyota and Nissan do this and there are articles on line that back it up.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
You are very easy on tires and I commend you. You must drive the Fusion like a Saint. Do you think you will be able to drive the Stang that way? Keep it in Wisper Mode all the time? I suppose there may be exceptions to my claim that the OEM tires are made differently. Maybe Ford doesn't do that but my experience tells me that GM, Toyota and Nissan do this and there are articles on line that back it up.
I don't drive the Fusion like a saint, but do anticipate far in advance and coast a lot. But I accelerate pretty hard most of the time, and while the Fusion Hybrid has pretty good acceleration compared to most sedans, you aren't spinning the tires at all. Definitely don't plan on driving in Whisper - definitely unbridled, but I think I will be using 1 pedal most of the time.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
My 2013 fusion Hybrid has made it 75k miles on both the original and replacement tires.

Honestly, I was not expecting to have poor performance on tires. That cost alone negates any savings from oil change, or general ICE maintenance. Interesting if it's truly that poor of tire performance. Time will tell...

I'm surprised when everyone mocks up those savings costs of EV vs ICE I've never seen someone comment tire costs. I do however see the opposite argument made about brake replacement.

Very interested to see how long they'll last.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
If you drive the vehicles exactly the same way, then you might expect a BEV to have slightly more tire wear than a ICE of the same class and tire size, simply because the BEV is heavier.

However, I think the real issue is how people drive performance BEVs - if you drive any car fast, whip it around corners, gun it off the line, it will have reduced tire life. Of course, those things are fun, so people will still do it (I might..).

Interesting to see over time how much of an impact that really makes - I mean, even heavier vehicles still have good tire life when the tire is designed for the vehicle.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
With a larger contact patch
More accurately, a wider tire has a wider contact patch, not a larger one, tire pressures being equal.
Any size tires on the same vehicle with the same pressure in them will have the same contact patch, which you can calculate by the vehicle weight / psi to get the number of square inches. Each tire will have approximately 1/4 of the total contact patch (depending on the front to rear weight balance.)
There can be some slight variation due to other physical factors about the tires, but that is the basic science.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Yeah I chewed up the tires on my Volt in 50000km. Less if you consider I run dedicated winters. OEM tires are crap. Lrr tires are crap. And EVs put them through hell.

Use a light foot and that will help

Joetz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach e and Tesla model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My 2013 fusion Hybrid has made it 75k miles on both the original and replacement tires.

Honestly, I was not expecting to have poor performance on tires. That cost alone negates any savings from oil change, or general ICE maintenance. Interesting if it's truly that poor of tire performance. Time will tell...

I'm surprised when everyone mocks up those savings costs of EV vs ICE I've never seen someone comment tire costs. I do however see the opposite argument made about brake replacement.

Very interested to see how long they'll last.
I can’t wait until these primacy tires wear out so I can put something decent. The day these OEMs are worn out can’t come soon enough
Sponsored