Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
A 3-row EV needs a 150 kWh battery minimum imo.
Would be $110K with a li-ion battery and heavy like Hummer. The Rivian R1S is already 7000+ lbs with a 135 kWh battery.

I think the next gen EVs will use Sodium-Ion. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Wide temperature range. Wide voltage range. The first Na-Ion EVs are being manufactured now.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Another view of the production Ioniq 7 testing. Glad they changed the rear tail light design from the concept so it's not located at the bumper level (like on the 2024 Santa Fe!)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9 Untitled

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- Numerous EV9 redditors complaining about faulty 12V batteries.
- Some notes from OOS's Part 2 review video below; noticeable heft when cornering, suspension damps well, accelerator pedal lag, abysmal placement of 5" HVAC screen, standard infotainment is not good- use Android Auto or Apple Car Play instead.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I test drove an EV9 GT Line a few days ago and really liked it. The HUD, massaging seat, heated and ventilated seats in front and back, blind spot cameras, and remote smart park were highlights. The ride was smooth, comfortable, and quiet and I loved that I couldn’t tell when the brakes transitioned from regen to friction.

One thing I didn’t like was the price. But I think that will come down soon. My dealer is pretty small, but has 10 EV9s on the lot. KIA is already offering $5000 customer cash, and the dealer is discounting another $5000 on some trims (but not the GT Line yet).

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I test drove an EV9 GT Line a few days ago and really liked it. The HUD, massaging seat, heated and ventilated seats in front and back, blind spot cameras, and remote smart park were highlights. The ride was smooth, comfortable, and quiet and I loved that I couldn’t tell when the brakes transitioned from regen to friction.

One thing I didn’t like was the price. But I think that will come down soon. My dealer is pretty small, but has 10 EV9s on the lot. KIA is already offering $5000 customer cash, and the dealer is discounting another $5000 on some trims (but not the GT Line yet).
If you check the EV9 reddit there are a few dealers selling below MSRP. May have to pay for out of state shipping. You should be aware that the EV9 has ongoing 12V battery draining issues.

One thing I don't get is why Ford/Lincoln have never been keen about implementing HUDs in their vehicles, ICE or EV. It's not exactly mechanically complex or expensive.

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Finally got to test drive one at the Orlando Electrify Expo... meh.

It's quiet, quick, and smooth like most higher-priced EVs. The matte blue is stunning in person.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs. 2024 Kia EV9 IMG_9858 1.JPG

It's still not a Telluride EV... lacks many features and decided to go "Tesla style" and have fewer physical buttons. Telluride's controls are nearly perfect (Savage geese hints at this in various reviews). At the same price point, I'd probably pick the Telluride... but the EV9 is $15K more at least... so I still recommend the Telluride over it.

I'd recommend the EV9 over the Grand Cherokee Summit (L or non-L) though. I test drove the Grand Highlander hybrid the same day and I'd say it was a toss up between the EV9 and GH if you were looking for a 3 row SUV.

For those who want a comparison with the R1S... the obvious ones are - slower acceleration, lower ground clearance (with the R1S in Off-Road mode I have to hope in), no air suspension, better interior (Rivians have a wood dash but the seats are stiff and the EV9 has soft touch materials everywhere), mediocre audio system, more compliant ride (closer to a large EV6 than stiff Tesla that the R1S is very much like)

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Would be $110K with a li-ion battery and heavy like Hummer. The Rivian R1S is already 7000+ lbs with a 135 kWh battery.

I think the next gen EVs will use Sodium-Ion. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Wide temperature range. Wide voltage range. The first Na-Ion EVs are being manufactured now.
na ion batteries are going to be much heavier than li ion batteries

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

It's quiet, quick, and smooth like most higher-priced EVs. The matte blue is stunning in person.

It's still not a Telluride EV... lacks many features and decided to go "Tesla style" and have fewer physical buttons. Telluride's controls are nearly perfect (Savage geese hints at this in various reviews). At the same price point, I'd probably pick the Telluride... but the EV9 is $15K more at least... so I still recommend the Telluride over it.

I'd recommend the EV9 over the Grand Cherokee Summit (L or non-L) though. I test drove the Grand Highlander hybrid the same day and I'd say it was a toss up between the EV9 and GH if you were looking for a 3 row SUV.

For those who want a comparison with the R1S... the obvious ones are - slower acceleration, lower ground clearance (with the R1S in Off-Road mode I have to hope in), no air suspension, better interior (Rivians have a wood dash but the seats are stiff and the EV9 has soft touch materials everywhere), mediocre audio system, more compliant ride (closer to a large EV6 than stiff Tesla that the R1S is very much like)
I purchased a Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve for my wife, and it is awesome. I wanted it because it can really go off road. I took it on the beach and used sand mode, and it worked great. I was worried about the horror stories about getting stuck in the sand, but it powered through, no issues. I am going to do it again next week!

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I purchased a Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve for my wife, and it is awesome. I wanted it because it can really go off road. I took it on the beach and used sand mode, and it worked great. I was worried about the horror stories about getting stuck in the sand, but it powered through, no issues. I am going to do it again next week!
Maybe light off road.

But none of the GCs except Overland and Trailhawk 4xe have tow hooks nor can they be added after the fact. Crazy. The lower/mid trims have an open center diff and lack any sort of locking rear system (locker or LSD). Almost any of the modern mid-sized family SUVs can go on the sand/beach.... at worst you have to air down a little. There really anything my GC Limited could do that the Telluride could not... neither would be suitable for technical trails (I've needed my front locker twice in my Bronco).

The GCs do have a nice double wishbone suspension and posh interior. The SR is very much a luxury trim and vastly nicer than the EV9 or R1S.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Maybe light off road.

But none of the GCs except Overland and Trailhawk 4xe have tow hooks nor can they be added after the fact. Crazy. The lower/mid trims have an open center diff and lack any sort of locking rear system (locker or LSD). Almost any of the modern mid-sized family SUVs can go on the sand/beach.... at worst you have to air down a little. There really anything my GC Limited could do that the Telluride could not... neither would be suitable for technical trails (I've needed my front locker twice in my Bronco).

The GCs do have a nice double wishbone suspension and posh interior. The SR is very much a luxury trim and vastly nicer than the EV9 or R1S.
It amazes me how much more capability and how many more features you can get in a ICEV over the "equivalent" BEV. No BEV can get close to as many features as my wife's GC has. It is an awesome truck. I love the Rivian R1, but it is a step down in just about every way except off road capability. And even then, it is only the most extreme off-road situations that it will matter.

OP
OP

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Nice review! I saw a review of the EV9's Meridian audio system and it sounded terrible. Definitely not befitting a 70k car. Hyundai/Kia generally seem to have sub-par audio systems (not sure about Genesis).

The EV9 has more physical buttons than other EVs! Obviously not as good as ICE cars but still better than the rest.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Has anyone noticed how much cheaper the EV9 is in Canada? A GT-Line there is $82k CAD, which is about $60k USD. And that comes with second and third row powered seats. A GT-Line in the US is $76k USD plus another $2k if you want the powered second row seats.

I'm hoping this means that Kia has wiggle room in the US price and we'll see that $5000 customer cash go up when they see that they aren't selling here. Or they could just lower the MSRP, which seem to be all the rage these days.

CTZ

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
One thing I dislike about the Asian cars is that they are incapable of remembering your preferences. Drives me crazy on my Mazdas. Ford got that right. If I want 1 pedal on every trip, chances are I'll want it on my next trip as well. Why do I have to select everything I like every time I drive?
Sponsored