Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I haven't dug into the Ioniq all that deeply, since it wasn't an option yet. Interested to see how it turns out, but the pricing still isn't even available in the US. I was pretty excited at first, but looking at the many configurations, the lower models didn't perform particularly well. I think to get something comparable to the Mach-E, it will cost more.

Yes, lots of nice features, but there may be some things it won't have that the Mach-E does. A lot of the stuff on your list above aren't really important to me.
  • The fast charging is great, but how many years until the chargers are in place to support it?
  • Remote summon = gimmicky to me. I wouldn't use that any more than the self-parallel-park feature (meaning never).
  • Longer warranty is good.
  • Maintenance costs are next to nothing on an EV (tire rotation, mainly). I've driven two for over 100K miles and never touched the brakes.
  • VTL capability, probably wouldn't use, but could be a good option. Honestly, until I could hook it up to my solar/battery, probably not worth much to me. I don't go camping :)
  • 20" wheels cut down on efficiency, so not a plus for me.
I care more about how it drives. Fun, quick, handles well? Does it have 1-pedal driving? How about the Hyundai auto-driving capability vs. BlueCruise?

derelict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I am going to add my experience as a 2018 Ioniq Electric leaser who literally just returned it and picked up my Mach E within weeks of each other....

I got the Hyundai Ioniq Electric as part of their "subscription" program... I got in just at the tail end where they had offered an amazing monthly payment with all maintenance included, and unlimited miles for 3 years. So essentially it came down to being a lease with unlimited miles and a service package. I was doing an insane commute which was sucking the life from me, and I was looking for any way to get into the HOV lane to save my sanity. In 2018, the EV choices were very limited. For some reason, you had to choose a car that looked like a bubble, a turtle, a shoe or some other hideous thing. I wanted a car that looked like an actual normal car, so that narrowed it down to the VW Golf Electric or the Hyundai Ioniq Electric. With the subscription deal, the Ioniq was a no-brainer. Also, this was my first time in a Hyundai... At least in the US, when Hyundai first came here, they had a reputation for being low quality. Over the years, they had made great strides to improve that impression and their 10 year 100K mile warranty was part of that. I have to say they have done a great job in most areas.

A few things I learned from my Ioniq experience.... Most dealers back then (and now) have no clue how to sell these things. I went to test drive the car at one dealer and they couldn't even find it. It took them 30 mins to find it in their lot. When we were out for the test drive, the sales guy said, wow! this is the first time I have ever been in an electric car! So when we got back and wanted to talk pricing, I showed them the subscription offer and they then tried to tell me that this car was a hot commodity and there was a $5k mark up. I immediately walked of course. Eventually I found a local dealer that would just give me the subscription deal straight up.

A few things about that car... it is definitely not a performance car. The instant acceleration of an EV is very cool. My Ioniq could dust many a car off the line. But that was up to like 40mph. After that, it was kind of weak. The handling and suspension was quite loose. Took a while to get used to coming from a toyota camry... I know, a camry... but my camry handled much more tighter than the Ioniq did. However, once I got used to it, I quite enjoyed the drive. I found the cloth seats to be quite comfortable and the interior was nice. The infotainment/apple carplay system was a bit buggy... it only worked hardwired, but it would occasionally blank out or I would have to unplug and replug to get it to work correctly.

About the included maintenance... I was driving ALOT... I was on a clip to do 60k miles in 3 years, and the maintenance interval was 5k miles. I stuck to this like clockwork. Every time I brought it in, they..... rotated the tires. Literally I would sometimes sit there waiting for 1-2 hours for them to rotate the tires. At one point, I had a mechanical issue which took them a week to fix, but it was under warranty. But from a maintenance perspective, EVs are amazing. Then COVID happened and my 60k clip ended up turning up to be just about 36k like a normal lease. I turned it in at the beginning of June at that was the end of it. Overall, I really liked that car. It was amazing how much I could fit in a hatch back when the back seats were down. I transported all kinds of stuff in that car. And the EV torque was amazing.... but when I originally got that car, I was anticipating that EV technology would evolve quickly and by the time the lease was up, there would be better options.

The Ioniq 5 was not available when I made my MME reservation in January 2021. And even then, I felt like the actual purchase price of my 2018 Ioniq was way over valued. I would not pay what the sticker was asking (I think ~$35-40k?). The Ioniq 5 looks amazing and I wonder how it drives, but after considering all of the options, I still feel I made the best decision to wait 6 months for my MME to be built.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
Answering you two and mentioning few things here:
- Hyundai had also a reputation of low quality cars in the past, but they improved a lot. They went to mid/average. With the new Ioniq line, they are targeting the premium sector, and actually they do pretty (driving Lexus for the last 14 years, I never though I would drive a Hyundai one day ?)
- the Ioniq and the Ioniq 5 have NOTHING in common - makes no sense to compare them
- fast charging network is better in Europe than in the US, although absolutely not at the level of Tesla
-summon mode, yes, mostly a gadget, unless your car is squeezed between two others in a parking, or there is a wall blocking (public parking or small own parking), and then it is useful (one guy on another forum said that without this, he couldn’t get into his parking)
- 20” wheels. You’re right, less good for efficiency (but they came with the P45 - that said, standard is 19”) and comfort. But I can tell that the car is more comfortable with the 20” than the Mach-E I test-drove with 18” (mine was supposed to be FE, so 19”)
- fun to drive? Yes! But this is my first EV, so I guess my feedback is useless, I probably would have loved - almost - any EV
- one-pedal? Really nicely done, like it very much. Multiple regen mode are also very good. Brakes are more natural than the MME (too strong when you hit the pedal - but again, just did a test drive, probably would have got to it after a while)
- Blue cruise, haven’t tested it (and not available in Europe anyway). 2nd level auto drive looks to be nice, but haven’t use do much yet, so cannot give any valuable feedback at this point
- I agree that only the higher level for the car (here called P45 or Executive) is nice, the rest looks too cheap
- Price? In France, the Ioniq 5 is much cheaper than the MME (if I compare P45 to FE - my case - I saved 17000€). Apart from the great Mustang look and the bigger battery, hard to find advantages to the Mustang
- I would have been very happy with the Mustang, would have loved to have one, waited 19 months to get it, but Ford wasn’t able to deliver, so had to find a backup car quickly, not having any car anymore…

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I'm a huge HUD fan but not a huge fan of factory nav. My Honda has both and I use Apple or Google almost exclusively, even though the factory nav will show on the HUD. I doubt either of those will work with that HUD, which is unfortunate.

I rode in one of the early Hyundai's. A super cheap friend bought one. It was junk, a lot of cars were junk back then, but I don't remember if it was special in that sense. In fact, I looked just now and the old Hyundai's don't look like I remember it. Maybe the Pony liftback? Maybe he had a Yugo and I'm conflating them?

Today they're kind of a mixed bag, definitely better than Ford's for overall reliability, but a pretty bad dealer network and they've had some high-profile issues too. Around here, the three nearest dealers all went bankrupt in some form or another in the last 3 years (before Covid). Two have come back under new ownership. The major dealers (like Honda, Ford, etc.) all have multiple dealers I could easily get to if one goes under.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Unfortunately, the Hyundai Kona Electric is fading and none of the other models exceeded 1,000 units.
Model results last month (and year-to-date):

Here are the charts for the key models. Hyundai Ioniq 5 noted 3,667 units in its home market, while the remaining 4,455 were exported.

Yes, sales are up but others are way down. The age-old fact of what's the in thing eating at other models. You will keep seeing amazing numbers for everyone until you hit the crossroads. Still, not 3% of sales are EV. So much room for growth it's really absurd to go on any numbers. Same as the model y crushed Model 3 sales.

Once the market is flooded and you see true cannibalism then you can judge sales and numbers. But right now everyone's numbers are going to look like god mode playing a video game.

Unless your chevy and the bolt and basically have given them away to keep sale numbers high lol.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
No heated steering wheel. Lacking distinctive styling (except for the Hyundai’s diagonal creases on the sides, which are ugly), it’s hardly a ‘classics,’ as a Kia/Hyundai rather than a Ford Mustang, and it’s $58K to boot…no thanks.
Sponsored