Mach-E will have OTA Updates

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Yep. Me too. Now with the OTAUs, and if you listened Hackett or the tech guy he was speaking with mentioned about listening to customer suggestions for updates and improvements. So that's pretty much it... I will now be migrating from a Model Y to the Mach-E.
And I think I can handle it being made in Mexico... I mean, Mexico is our neighbor and is obviously part of The Americas.
What a great buzz-creating event last night!
Sponsored

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Am I the only one who heard "hands free driving capability" at 33:00 in the reveal video? I'm assuming they were referring to something similar to Tesla's Autopilot. Hope so, anyways! Video link:
Read a little bit more on this. It’s supposed to be similar to Cadillac's system and will allow Operate without you touching the steering wheel. However there is a built in camera that will ensure you are keeping your eyes on the road (kinda creepy). However, Cadillac’s system won’t change lanes automatically like Tesla’s. I’m hoping Ford has this option when they release it, as they will have another year or two from now to work on it.

jaredhimself

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F-150, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2021 Mustang Mach-E (First Edition Reserved)
Occupation
Developer/Designer
Country flag
Yep. Me too. Now with the OTAUs, and if you listened Hackett or the tech guy he was speaking with mentioned about listening to customer suggestions for updates and improvements. So that's pretty much it... I will now be migrating from a Model Y to the Mach-E.
And I think I can handle it being made in Mexico... I mean, Mexico is our neighbor and is obviously part of The Americas.
What a great buzz-creating event last night!
Agreed. I was going to get the Model Y... wasn't 100% sold on it. I love the look of the Model 3, but the Model Y just looked too "mommy" to me. So I was reluctant and waited until I saw the Mach-E. I'll be honest, I thought there was no way they could even get close to Tesla. But they did. Proud of Ford.

Maybe they'll have a site for voting on customer suggestions and improvements.

I can get over the Made in Mexico part.. honestly wasn't concerned with it in the first place. Still a great American company.

jaredhimself

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer/Designer
Country flag
Read a little bit more on this. It’s supposed to be similar to Cadillac's system and will allow Operate without you touching the steering wheel. However there is a built in camera that will ensure you are keeping your eyes on the road (kinda creepy). However, Cadillac’s system won’t change lanes automatically like Tesla’s. I’m hoping Ford has this option when they release it, as they will have another year or two from now to work on it.
Do you know where I can find more info on it? I've looked and looked but can't find anything concrete.

OR any good sites that cover BEVs other than Electrek? Their bias and agenda are getting old.

Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Do you know where I can find more info on it? I've looked and looked but can't find anything concrete.

OR any good sites that cover BEVs other than Electrek? Their bias and agenda are getting old.
I read it in this article (but have seen it other places, too).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/aut...-electric-suv-this-is-it/ar-BBWUChA?li=AA30Oe

I think the thing with the red lights behind the steering wheel is part of the set up, and may be where the camera is housed. I say this because Cadillacs set up has something with lights that tell you when to change lanes, etc.

CE62CEA0-AC2D-43AB-9F87-4598D0074740.jpeg

Last edited:

jaredhimself

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer/Designer
Country flag
Very interesting video that mentions customization and future software features:

jaredhimself

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Developer/Designer
Country flag

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
That little screen is a huge thing actually. I know there are a lot of Model 3 owners and Model Y owners who wish/will wish they had a speedometer... and I think this just shows how Ford is adapting and learning from the market. I think is a great selling point as well!

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Tesla Model 3 Firmware Update

Tesla Boosts Model S and X Range w/ OTA Update

This is the stuff that really has made Tesla the leader... while your car sits and charges in your garage linked to your wifi, the car gets better over night. This is the truly exciting stuff that Ford Mach-E Owners can look forward to... or at least should be able to look forward to, because Tesla did the latest OTA Update to the Model 3 and my colleague's car went from a 5.4 second 0-60 run down to 4.9, just with a reconfiguration of the power management systems.

“I don’t think there has ever been a situation in history where you buy a car and it gets way better over time, through software,” Musk said.
Well, now that the Mach-E is on the scene there are two that can play that game!

And I hope they push a lot of these improvements to all the fleet but honestly, it would be cool to go on a road trip and be able to 'rent' an upgraded feature for the weekend or something but that is the kind of stuff OTA Updates allow you to do. At a minimum, I'd like to see some more power or range pushed out after they learn to improve things but it really is limitless at this point.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Tesla Model 3 Firmware Update

Tesla Boosts Model S and X Range w/ OTA Update

This is the stuff that really has made Tesla the leader... while your car sits and charges in your garage linked to your wifi, the car gets better over night. This is the truly exciting stuff that Ford Mach-E Owners can look forward to... or at least should be able to look forward to, because Tesla did the latest OTA Update to the Model 3 and my colleague's car went from a 5.4 second 0-60 run down to 4.9, just with a reconfiguration of the power management systems.

“I don’t think there has ever been a situation in history where you buy a car and it gets way better over time, through software,” Musk said.
Well, now that the Mach-E is on the scene there are two that can play that game!

And I hope they push a lot of these improvements to all the fleet but honestly, it would be cool to go on a road trip and be able to 'rent' an upgraded feature for the weekend or something but that is the kind of stuff OTA Updates allow you to do. At a minimum, I'd like to see some more power or range pushed out after they learn to improve things but it really is limitless at this point.
I think the question is whether or not the OTA Updates will be free like Tesla's. I could see Ford charging for updates to performance, range, or autonomous driving.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I think the question is whether or not the OTA Updates will be free like Tesla's. I could see Ford charging for updates to performance, range, or autonomous driving.
Right. And that's the thing. I think they need to push more updates than they charge for, that's what ppl are expecting by the bar set by Tesla.

Last edited:

ejss

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford Focus
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If Ford doesn't treat OTA updates and performances updates like Tesla, they're going to lose a LOT of customers to Tesla. I will sell my Mach E and buy a Tesla if that's what it comes to. Teslas business model is to treat customers well and make them want to buy new cars by loyalty and how they've been treated, not because their shit gets outdated and they are forced into timed obsolescence.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
If Ford doesn't treat OTA updates and performances updates like Tesla, they're going to lose a LOT of customers to Tesla. I will sell my Mach E and buy a Tesla if that's what it comes to. Teslas business model is to treat customers well and make them want to buy new cars by loyalty and how they've been treated, not because their shit gets outdated and they are forced into timed obsolescence.
Absolutely could not agree more!

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
Very interesting video that mentions customization and future software features:
I saw that video as well and I really hope that is the Iconic Silver color as that is what I have pre-ordered. I was between Iconic Silver and Carbonized Gray but the Gray seemed to dark. Can anyone confirm this is Iconic Silver?

phila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace HSE, Mach E (preorder)
Country flag
Being an IPace driver I have a scheduled trip to the dealer soon to get all of the updates done and get the 8% additional range. The infotainment OTA just started happening in approx Q3 2019 for me after almost one year of driving the car. The dealer said they will need 2 days to get all of the stuff done. Hence, I strongly agree with the above statement that Ford needs to treat OTA seriously as its here where Tesla is leading the way big time.
Sponsored