Maintenance Costs

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
We're waiting for it to fail.

I would plan on getting it tested annually from years 5 on.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
We waiting for it to fail.

I would plan on getting it tested annually from years 5 on.
Or just plan to replace it every five years. I don't wait for them to fail in my ICE cars, so I am going to try to figure out the right interval (5 years could be good) for my MME. But something is pulling hard on the LVB, because people keep reporting dead batteries. Like this post:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-gt-regular-edition-is-arriving-tonight.10587/post-267735

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I never replace batteries before failure. You get 5 years free towing.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I never replace batteries before failure. You get 5 years free towing.
I hate getting stranded for any reason, which is why I am not happy there is no spare tire. I would rather replace my own tire, than wait for a tow truck and wait for the tire shop to get my tire in before I can drive it anywhere. I would rather proactively replace my battery than have to try to get the car running after a LVB failure. At a minimum it means I don't get to wherever I was going on time, maybe miss it entirely.

Different strokes! Thanks for the feedback on the batteries, BTW.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Don't forget suspension components that will need to be replaced as they wear out. They might wear out sooner since the car is heavier, but new struts at 80,000 will probably be needed. Ball joints may fail earlier due to the weight also. I put a ton of miles on my E320 ICE car, and literally replaced every front end suspension component, some multiple times.

I would plan on replacing the LVB every three years also. From what others have reported, when that goes out, you are just as stranded as in an ICE car.

Unlikely a maint plan would cover any of that.
The car doesn't weight any more than your average F-150, My 2019 Ranger weights 4,400 pounds. Tires on these trucks go 40 or 50 thousands miles.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My experience differs from others. Hybrid 2010, PHEV 2018.
<snip>
Replaced 12 volt battery on 2010 around year 6 or 7 as I recall. Never replaced a car battery in 3 years. Keeping it plugged in keeps the 12v charged.
My 2014 Fusion Energi’s 12V battery died at just about 1 year. Had to get a tow to a dealer and a replacement. The replacement battery has been fine since the summer of 2015. So yeah I think the OEM 12V battery is just fine.

The Mach-E uses a different model battery and there was a rash of them losing voltage. There was a software fix for that (was not being charged when plugged in and car was sleeping). I don’t think I have seen a lot of posts about dead 12V batteries since the software fix.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
This is interesting. It could be a ICE car puts a lot more stress on the LVB, causing it to wear out earlier. I just assumed the stress would be similar, but the more I think about it, the more I think the stress should be a lot less. The huge drain when starting an ICE is a big thing that probably contributes significantly to battery wear, and does not exist in a BEV. One thing is for sure, I don't want the LVB to die unexpectedly at any point when, so figuring out the right time to replace may be a challenge. Did you wait for it to fail, or was there a warning that failure was imminent?
These LVBs should last a lot longer than ICE cars. They don’t see big discharges, they are AGM, and they are managed by a DCDC converter not an alternator. Much easier life.

I just replaced the LVB in our Prius (similar AGM battery) and when I looked up how long it had been it was 9 years!

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
So If I never bring Mach E to Ford Service ..... can it void my warranty?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So If I never bring Mach E to Ford Service ..... can it void my warranty?
No. You are not required to bring any vehicle to any manufacturer's dealership for service.

However, if you do not perform scheduled maintenance as stated in your manual, and the manufacturer can prove that a failure was caused by the lack of maintenance, they can deny your warranty claim.

Our 2018 Fusion Energi didn't go to the dealership until just before we sold it, and only for a warranty part replacement (USB hub). I did the one required oil change myself (every 2 years or 20,000 miles), and had Discount Tire rotate my tires once.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
No. You are not required to bring any vehicle to any manufacturer's dealership for service.

However, if you do not perform scheduled maintenance as stated in your manual, and the manufacturer can prove that a failure was caused by the lack of maintenance, they can deny your warranty claim.

Our 2018 Fusion Energi didn't go to the dealership until just before we sold it, and only for a warranty part replacement (USB hub). I did the one required oil change myself (every 2 years or 20,000 miles), and had Discount Tire rotate my tires once.
I'm trying to figure out what does it mean "lack of maintenance" exactly.......
For example does lack of AC filter replacement in time voids the warranty? Or break liquid, etc?....... those things should not cause any failures that requite warranty......

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
brake...

The manufacturer needs to prove that your lack of maintenance caused the failure. Quite clear.

Is this the first vehicle you have purchased?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Four years of maintenance on Nissan Leaf:
Rotate tires (and replace one due to road hazard)
Replace wiper blades (need to do that again)
Add wiper fluid
Replace cabin air filter

That’s it.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
brake...

The manufacturer needs to prove that your lack of maintenance caused the failure. Quite clear.

Is this the first vehicle you have purchased?
I've just never had to deal with the warranty before..... recalls only.......
with ICE is kind of no brainer - it makes total sense to do all the filter changes, oil changes, engine coolant changes - and it will keep your engine running and warranty working............ EVs don't have all of that.....

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Four years of maintenance on Nissan Leaf:
Rotate tires (and replace one due to road hazard)
Replace wiper blades (need to do that again)
Add wiper fluid
Replace cabin air filter

That’s it.
I did same on my nissan leaf as well...... plus I had to replace a small battery..... But you don't have to go to service for that.......... and you can do it any time you want or need to......