bdonpwn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E SR w/ Tech Pkg, 2006 Evo IX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Well this thread is going nuts and I think both sides are right. Is this a good thing? Possibly. Could this go south? Possibly.

One thing I’m not seeing discussed is equity. Yes, the car has the capability to achieve higher power output, but one could argue MB didn’t carry the same material margin on the higher power motor/infrastructure since they’re banking on future revenue via the subscription. Simplistically speaking, instead of building a low and a high power version, they built one that can do both, but the starting price point isn’t based off of the equipment upgrades. If you buy the car and that cost includes the cost of these upgraded parts, then yes, that’s messed up. I don’t think thats the case, but I am an optimist. The alternative is you buy a lower powered motor version and have to rip out the motor/electronics to upgrade it yourself. Then, when you sell it, you can capture the added equity you put into it. Some may like this, but these days most people probably don’t.

This also normalizes the balance between supply and demand for standard vs performance versions of vehicles.

In my college years, I bought a Mitsubishi Evo, a 300 hp AWD rally inspired car. I instantly spent maybe $750 on aftermarket parts and turned up the boost to snag around an extra 20-30 hp, but voided my warranty. Would have rather kept the warranty and had Mitsu do it if the price was right. Over the years, I put nearly $10k+ into it, making it a 550 hp beast that sits in my garage to this day. I put that equity in it and can carry on that value.
Sponsored

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
So if the manufacturers install all of the required equipment for people to subscribe to, won’t that eliminate the availability of less expensive trim levels?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
LS3 isn't a good example. I assume you mean Camaro vs Corvette- the difference is really power rating and the marketing thereof vs any really difference. Dyno tests showed it was really the same engine with differences really coming down to exhaust. Bottom line is the poverty model can't outshine the corvette.

BMW has mechanical changes - not a good example.

You said the tune was the only change - I can't think of a single example. Take the 3.5 EcoBoost vs the HO version. Ford changed the compression, pistons, exhaust, and turbo design. You could tune the normal 3.5 to the same power but it's a misnomer to say the tune is the only difference.
Didn’t say it was the only difference.

Just that it’s a difference.

And the detuned LS3 was in my 415hp Chevy SS sedan. It’s about 10hp down based on dynos to the vette and Camaro.

Again, literally every engine that has ever been made is “detuned” from the factory.

And only in rare circumstances have manufacturers allowed us to buy more horsepower from the manufacturer AND keep your full warranty.

Every time this has been offered, I loved it!! I wish it was more commonplace.

A few old examples:

Neon SRT4- could get up to 300 hp from Dodge (or a small boost with a stage 1 tune from Dodge).

Pontiac and Saturn offered a similar 300 hp package on the Solstice GXP and Sky redline.

Ford boosted the Focus ST to 275 hp-
https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1875276/boost-your-focus-st-275-hp-296-lb-ft-1900/

BMW did it for the 135i and 335i
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/bmw-to-offer-factory-upgrade-for-twin-turbo-30l/

Is that enough examples? There are definitely more.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The disconnect seems to come in the fact that the extra HP is already in the car. It just feels different from ordering a car with a bigger engine. I suspect it’s something people will become more comfortable with over time, which is probably what the manufacturers are counting on.
This isn’t a bigger engine. It’s unlocking more available horsepower for the SAME engine.

It’s the same thing that every factory or aftermarket tune has done for decades (since cars had computers). And those tunes always cost money.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I know I am in the minority, but I like this. I sure wish I could pay a fee now to upgrade my Premium to a GT like speed. Yes, I know I could trade mine in and buy a GT, but with the depreciation on mine and the extra cost on a GT, that's like a 20 grand price. I'd much rather just give them my credit card and pay 60 a month, or the 3 grand total one time price.
Ummm. Who’s gonna tell him? 😉😎

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Didn’t say it was the only difference.

Just that it’s a difference.

And the detuned LS3 was in my 415hp Chevy SS sedan. It’s about 10hp down based on dynos to the vette and Camaro.

Again, literally every engine that has ever been made is “detuned” from the factory.

And only in rare circumstances have manufacturers allowed us to buy more horsepower from the manufacturer AND keep your full warranty.

Every time this has been offered, I loved it!! I wish it was more commonplace.

A few old examples:

Neon SRT4- could get up to 300 hp from Dodge (or a small boost with a stage 1 tune from Dodge).

Pontiac and Saturn offered a similar 300 hp package on the Solstice GXP and Sky redline.

Ford boosted the Focus ST to 275 hp-
https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1875276/boost-your-focus-st-275-hp-296-lb-ft-1900/

BMW did it for the 135i and 335i
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/bmw-to-offer-factory-upgrade-for-twin-turbo-30l/

Is that enough examples? There are definitely more.
Agree. But, your LS3 made the same 426hp as the Camaro SS and C6 Vette did. Holden/Chevy just rated it at 415 hp because of the intake silencer. Dyno runs for all 3 models proved that.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
If people agree to pay extra money for stuff that's already installed on their car, it will never stop.
The way I see it is that by increasing the HP, the manufacturer is taking additional risk of thinks breaking and being claimed under warranty. This cover their cost.

Think of it as a factory tune.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Not sarcasm.

Why are people so hung up on the subscription part? That’s just one option. You can pay the one time $2k or $3k.

It’s the same thing Tesla did with the $2k power boost.

Volvo also did the same thing with Polestar. https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-2/performance-software-upgrade/

I WISH Ford would offer something like this.
My objection is that it is money for nothing. The car can already do what is "locked". THis is different than a service where somebody actually incurs some cost (e.g. streaming)

Reactions: SWO

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I guarantee that if Ford said: "$3k to remove the 5 second limit" you would have 25% of the people whining that they should get it for free, 25% of the people forking out the money for it and 50% who don't know what a 5 second limit is.

You can't make everyone happy. While I might never agree, or like forking out extra money (who does?), I would never complain about it and if I want it, then I'll pay for it.

I correlate this to the CarPlay/AA thing going on. Over on the Rivian forums people are always complaining about it. They purchased a vehicle knowing damn well it doesn't have ACP/AA, but they cry like spoiled children because they can't have it. It honestly makes them look like idiots.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ha, tell me what?
It’s known that the 4X has a higher 1/4 mile trap speed than the GT, 101 vs 103 if you avg the test results. I’ve seen up to 103.9 mph according to my Dragy in my wife’s 4X. Plus, there’s little to no power throttling in the 4X, ours runs within a tenth or two of it’s best times (13.4-13.5 1/4 mile, 4.7-4.9 0-60) even down to 30F or so. Been lots of fun threads on it these past 2 years haha. Search them, knock yourself out.

ScottMcCool

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium AWD ER MME
Country flag
It’s known that the 4X has a higher 1/4 mile trap speed than the GT, 101 vs 103 if you avg the test results. I’ve seen up to 103.9 mph according to my Dragy in my wife’s 4X. Plus, there’s little to no power throttling in the 4X, ours runs within a tenth or two of it’s best times (13.4-13.5 1/4 mile, 4.7-4.9 0-60) even down to 30F or so. Been lots of fun threads on it these past 2 years haha. Search them, knock yourself out.
What??? Really? I have read this forum everyday for the past 2 years. I have never seen that. The GT is supposed to go 0 to 60 in 3.5s compared to 4.8s for our 4X. I have seen several posts where people sold their 4X to get a GT and the extra power. What should I search for?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If you don't want to pay for subscriptions fine, but it's kinda silly for people to say they won't purchase a vehicle with subscriptions when we have quite a few.

So, taking it a step further, there's no reason to post anything on this topic, because you won't pay for it anyway, which just makes for senseless typing. "Let's complain about what other people want to subscribe to".

And just for your information:

- I use Blue Oval Charge Network all the time... It's quite the opposite of useless
- There's probably 100 threads about navigation and how it's beneficial for preconditioning
- WiFi Hotspot, I pay for and use frequently for my connected radar detector, dashcam and streaming devices.
- I'm getting rid of my car, but if I were to keep it I would definitely pay for more BC.
Sponsored

Last edited: