MME Owners, how much does (tire) size matter?

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They didn't use the gas Mustang's bolt pattern, so the very excellent OEM Mustang wheels from that won't bolt up. :(
Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't use the 5x114.3 bolt pattern.

Tesla did the same thing with the 3 & Y. Instead of using the 5x120 bolt pattern the S & X use, they went with 5x114.3
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Everyone is talking about putting different dimension tires on the vehicle but I’ve always wondered how the vehicle software would be impacted? Since so much of the vehicle is software based, isn’t the vehicle “expecting” a certain performance from the tires put on at the factory? Won’t things like braking, steering, and handling be thrown off if you put different sized tires on?
You can typically go about 2-3% larger circumference over stock before the traction and stability control start to freak out.

funnynardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There is absolutely not enough grip on the Premiums. I've had the rear end break loose making left turns in city traffic.

I'm "stuck" with my Premium, so I'm probably going to be going down the aftermarket wheel and tire route - and I *HATE* aftermarket mods on cars.

Even going to a summer tire at the narrow 225 width is probably still not gonna do it for me. I'm thinking I need a wider tire than the OE wheel can support, and unfortunately there is no wider OEM wheel for our cars. They didn't use the gas Mustang's bolt pattern, so the very excellent OEM Mustang wheels from that won't bolt up. :(

I've never aftermarket modded a car before, so I'm sure I'm just headed for more frustration and lighting more money on fire to make this car drive better, spoiling the looks in the process.

*sigh*

Yeah, if you want sporty grip, Premium ain't it, despite the Mustang logo on the car. :(
this is what i am really worried about. tesla model y has 255s, even a honda crv has 235s, and that weights much less than a mach e. i dont want to be able to lose control that easily, just by taking a turn on city streets. the narrow tires are literally the only thing holding me back from buying a mach e. i also dont like to touch anything aftermarket.
i hope buying an awd premium would help with this, and i will always drive it in whisper mode. but still really concerned especially for safety.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
this is what i am really worried about. tesla model y has 255s, even a honda crv has 235s, and that weights much less than a mach e. i dont want to be able to lose control that easily, just by taking a turn on city streets. the narrow tires are literally the only thing holding me back from buying a mach e. i also dont like to touch anything aftermarket.
i hope buying an awd premium would help with this, and i will always drive it in whisper mode. but still really concerned especially for safety.
Seems like some folks have already swapped out to 235/50/19 tires on their Mach-Es and stayed with the Premium OEM rims. That might be the way to go.
Sponsored